Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:34:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread  (Read 12412 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2019, 11:27:46 PM »

Pete did terrible because he got bodied by Amy Klobuchar, absolutely ground into pieces. Not sure how that's a good thing for Bernie!

Other way around bud.
I understand that you are having difficulties coming to terms with the fact that your candidate got himself annihilated in a way few believed possible by the nice lady from Minnesota, but making Atlas threads is not a healthy coping mechanism.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »

Pete did terrible because he got bodied by Amy Klobuchar, absolutely ground into pieces. Not sure how that's a good thing for Bernie!

Other way around bud.
I understand that you are having difficulties coming to terms with the fact that your candidate got himself annihilated in a way few believed possible by the nice lady from Minnesota, but making Atlas threads is not a healthy coping mechanism.

do you honestly believe this is an accurate depiction of what happened?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2019, 11:29:35 PM »

I have never made a joke on the US Election Atlas.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »

What voter group do you think is going to swing to Klobuchar because she belittled Mayor Pete for losing some election?  I guess her numbers might go up because she got a lot more airtime than she has in the past and her poll numbers are so low right now, but I don't see how this helped her in any way and I don't think attacking him histrionically is going to make his supporters in Iowa suddenly not like him.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #179 on: December 19, 2019, 11:36:09 PM »

You are entitled to your own opinion, and we don't know all the facts just yet insofar as the debate's impact is concerned.
That much is clear.
As of right now I don't think Pete lost too much. Did he weaken? Yes, a bit. But wine cave is not some sort of meme that will destroy him, and the core of his argument has never relied on experience in Washington as its keystone.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2019, 11:38:49 PM »

What voter group do you think is going to swing to Klobuchar because she belittled Mayor Pete for losing some election?  I guess her numbers might go up because she got a lot more airtime than she has in the past and her poll numbers are so low right now, but I don't see how this helped her in any way and I don't think attacking him histrionically is going to make his supporters in Iowa suddenly not like him.
Klob and Pete are both in competition for older whites, especially white women over 60. So Klob certainly showed some flair and could well pick up some in this demographic.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2019, 11:38:58 PM »

The other thing about Klobuchar.  Her whole argument seems to be morphing into "I'm from the midwest so therefore I have the best chance of winning in the midwest" but she's not even polling in the top 4 or 5 in Iowa.  If she doesn't do really well there I don't see what her schtick will be going forward.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2019, 11:40:21 PM »

Klob and Pete are both in competition for older whites, especially white women over 60. So Klob certainly showed some flair and could well pick up some in this demographic.

I think this strategy might backfire.  She came off as belittling in my opinion.  If I was a strong Pete supporter and someone attacked him like that (even if there was truth to it) I don't think I'd switch to her.  I'd switch to Biden probably who stayed above the fray.  But I'm biased because I support Biden.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »

I do think Bernie had a good debate overall, but it wasn't equally good throughout. I thought it was weaker earlier on, particularly around the race/gender questions (which I thought he didn't answer well). Later on though, I thought he came into his own a bit more, in particular when he got into the health care argument regarding paying for single payer/taxes with Biden. The key point there is that this is an obvious line of attack that Sanders would have to defend in a General Election, and he seemed to make a defense that could be effective to a general election audience of voters (which was a problem Warren obviously had earlier). Sanders is just better than Warren has been in defending his further-reaching progressive ideas in a way that they are not as likely to be a liability, and can potentially be strong positive assets in winning over some types of voters (voters do not all vote based on ideology). That is important because it allays fears about one of the biggest possible weak points for him.

I think Klobuchar was the most solid throughout (she didn't have the sub-par not-quite-answering-in-the-right-way issue that many of the male candidates had in particular regarding gender and also race), and was strong in the exchanges against Pete, and made the case for herself well, in particularly with regards to electability/the importance of having some experience/track record of getting something accomplished. And that is particularly important because Klobuchar was the candidate (of the actual candidates, i.e. not counting Yang/Steyer) who needed a good debate, and who can potentially make a play to shake up the race with a strong debate performance and strong follow-up over the next few weeks or so leading into Iowa.

I would also say Biden also had an overall solid debate IMO, but I would definitely not say better than Klobuchar and Sanders, and definitely not in a way to move the needle towards him. But solid (with some defects), more or less what one would expect from Biden.

So IMO Klobuchar and Sanders were the ones who had good debates in the sense that they accomplished what they needed to in a way that can help them.

Buttigieg and Warren didn't have good debates in that sense of accomplishing what they needed to, not necessarily because they were especially bad per se, but because they needed strong performances to avoid losing momentum and to keep up their chances of not flatlining/losing support at exactly the wrong time, right before the voting starts. Both did have at least some positive moments, but neither of them really came out well/unscathed in the Warren-Buttigieg cage match. The Warren-Buttigieg fight reminds me of i.e. candidates like Howard Dean/Dick Gephardt getting into fights with each other in 2004, damaging each other mutually, and then letting other candidates (i.e. Kerry and Edwards) bypass them as they are stuck in a mutually self-destructing death-lock. The 'other candidates,' i.e. the Kerry and Edwards, looked to me like probably Sanders/Klobuchar (for Iowa in particular) and possibly Biden also to some extent (but it seems doubtful at this point that he will pick up much additional support beyond what he already has locked down).
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2019, 12:09:48 AM »

The other thing about Klobuchar.  Her whole argument seems to be morphing into "I'm from the midwest so therefore I have the best chance of winning in the midwest" but she's not even polling in the top 4 or 5 in Iowa.  If she doesn't do really well there I don't see what her schtick will be going forward.

Eh, she has been gradually picking up a bit more support in Iowa, and (at least if anyone in Iowa watched the debate, which seems quite open to question), it is not hard to see her picking up some more support in the wake of this debate. The important thing is that Klobuchar's support has been going up in Iowa at the right time, where if it keeps going up a bit more, it will appear that she has momentum.

But yes, of course if she doesn't do well in Iowa her campaign is over. She knows this, which is why she has been campaigning (apparently) in Iowa in particular and why she focused in the debate on Buttigieg in particular; she needed to take him down to clear a path for herself (moderate lane in Iowa), and she seemed to do a pretty good job of that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2019, 12:23:45 AM »

Klobuchar laid the truth on Buttigieg.

Buttigieg has a problem with women. Sanders and Warren have both done high dollar fundraisers in the past and both transferred money from their Senate accounts but he only attacks Warren for it. Sanders to his credit stepped in and pushed back on Pete.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2019, 12:36:28 AM »

That's just politics, and the winning kind at that.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2019, 01:52:08 AM »

Yeah... PittsburghSteel, known Bernie Bro and Atlas progressive.
PittsburghSteel is Mr. "I'm backing the Tories in 2017 because my mother is a businesswoman".  I don't think that backing Theresa May's bid for a bigger majority is a qualification for being a "Atlas progressive".

Woosh.
I was backing up your point. I knew you were being sarcastic.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2019, 07:35:03 AM »

Yeah... PittsburghSteel, known Bernie Bro and Atlas progressive.

I just wanted to say that your sigs are comedy gold, this one's even better than the political compass one.
Hollywood
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2019, 08:30:03 AM »

Klobuchar laid the truth on Buttigieg.

Buttigieg has a problem with women. Sanders and Warren have both done high dollar fundraisers in the past and both transferred money from their Senate accounts but he only attacks Warren for it. Sanders to his credit stepped in and pushed back on Pete.

Yep.  That was a real nice assist by Sanders, because Warren looked and sounded lost while defending herself.  That moment is when Buttigieg started losing the debate. 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

This thread is perfect material for the Irony Oremine.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »

Honestly with multiple Bernie Bro threads on the first page, it's probably time for a mergathread on this. Anyone got a good idea for a title?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »

I am still strongly with Pete and didn't watch the debate, but I don't believe you even a little. He was due to get destroyed in a debate. With the momentum in his favor, there could be nothing else but a pile-on from other candidates.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »

Honestly with multiple Bernie Bro threads on the first page, it's probably time for a mergathread on this. Anyone got a good idea for a title?

Everyone Sucks Except My Candidate: The Atlas Forum Story
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »

The Zombie Re-Animates: With Sanders Climbing in the Polls Again, the Bernie Bro Menace Returns
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2019, 01:49:24 PM by CEO of Bernie Sanders »

The Dane Weeks Memorial Repository for Corporatist Whining
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »

Buttigieg's performance would have been okay if it had been any 1 or maybe 2 of the engagements that happened, but much like the Titanic's watertight compartments, the entire thing starts falling apart after enough of them get breached. He basically ended up highlighting his past electoral failures, coddled the notion of big money being a good thing, and found himself defending the notion of having closed-door fundraisers when he pledged not to do so.

Focus groups I saw favored Warren over Buttigieg by 2-3:1, and her engagement was by far the weakest of what was levied at him. Nobody who's not a core Buttigieg supporter (probably similar to Harris's numbers right before she dropped out) is going to see him as being anything other than a loser last night.

I also don't know why some seem to think Klobuchar is going to benefit bigly from this somehow. If this goes anywhere, it'll be more akin to the Christie-Rubio spat from 2016 than anything. Biden and Bernie will benefit the most, followed by Warren, Klobuchar and Bloomberg probably splitting a percentage point or two among the three of them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2019, 03:27:01 PM »

Bernie Bros are catching onto voters, soon Bernie may very well become the nominee; whereas, Bernie Bros werent taken seriously.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »

I love OC as much as the next guy but that title is too long without some description of what the thread is for. Going to merge a few older threads probably (or at least the two recent McArthur ones including one that I nearly merged) and settle on a title.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »

Today, I saw a Bernie Bro on social media insist that Obama should have been impeached.

So that's how they are approaching the Trump impeachment apparently.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies