Which elections 1960s onward did republicans win the black vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which elections 1960s onward did republicans win the black vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which elections 1960s onward did republicans win the black vote?  (Read 1178 times)
coolface1572
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »

I know Withrop Rockefeller won the black vote in 1966 as did Spiro Agnew. Any others?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:14:19 PM »

1966 Senate special election in Virginia
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=51&year=1966&f=0&off=3&elect=7
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

Tom Kean (Governor of New Jersey) got over 60% of blacks in his 1985 reelection bid while getting 70% overall.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:31:52 AM »

Tom Kean (Governor of New Jersey) got over 60% of blacks in his 1985 reelection bid while getting 70% overall.

Shapiro (D) only won three -- THREE -- municipalities!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 08:06:43 AM »

John Warner, 2002?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 10:18:46 AM »

I don't think uncontested races count
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »

I was surprised that even in George W. Bush's 1998 win in Texas, which he won 68-31, he "only" got 27% of the black vote. He got 49% of the Hispanic vote, though.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »

How did Hogan and Baker do last year? Christie in 2013? Kasich in 2014? Doubt any actually won it but they all definitely did better than the average Republican.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »

How did Hogan and Baker do last year? Christie in 2013? Kasich in 2014? Doubt any actually won it but they all definitely did better than the average Republican.

I'd imagine that all four of them got into the teens, possibly doing as well as Nixon and Ford did back in the 1970s (around 16-18% or so), maybe a few points less than that. Hogan, in particular, managed to garner more than a quarter of the vote in heavily black (and heavily Democratic) Prince George's County and Baltimore City, doing significantly better in those counties than he did in 2014. And given that Baker actually won Suffolk County, and managed to get around 43% in Ayanna Pressley's district, it's obvious that he won a substantial number of nonwhite voters, including blacks. Christie too, got close to 40% in Essex and Hudson Counties, which have heavy concentrations of black voters. And Kasich won Cuyahoga and Franklin Counties, and only lost Joyce Beatty's congressional district by a few percentage points.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 08:15:04 PM »

During his presidential campaign, Kasich mentioned getting a quarter of the black vote in Ohio.
Here is the exit poll: 26% to 69%
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »

Black people refused to vote for white nationalist hogan.
coolface1572
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 09:03:38 PM »

I'd imagine that all four of them got into the teens, possibly doing as well as Nixon and Ford did back in the 1970s (around 16-18% or so), maybe a few points less than that. Hogan, in particular, managed to garner more than a quarter of the vote in heavily black (and heavily Democratic) Prince George's County and Baltimore City, doing significantly better in those counties than he did in 2014. And given that Baker actually won Suffolk County, and managed to get around 43% in Ayanna Pressley's district, it's obvious that he won a substantial number of nonwhite voters, including blacks. Christie too, got close to 40% in Essex and Hudson Counties, which have heavy concentrations of black voters. And Kasich won Cuyahoga and Franklin Counties, and only lost Joyce Beatty's congressional district by a few percentage points.

Baker came very close with 47%.
https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/11/10/baker-warren-popular-mass-voters-midterm-elections-2018

Bill Weld might have won it in 1994, but blacks were only 2% so it wasn't surveyed and seems essentially irrelevant.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/1998/states/MA/polls/MA94GH.html

Also, a CNN exit poll showed Mike Huckabee winning 48% in 1998, but I just can't believe that.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/1998/states/AR/G/exit.poll.html
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »

https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/11/10/baker-warren-popular-mass-voters-midterm-elections-2018

Bill Weld might have won it in 1994, but blacks were only 2% so it wasn't surveyed and seems essentially irrelevant.

Also, a CNN exit poll showed Mike Huckabee winning 48% in 1998, but I just can't believe that.

Not sure if I can believe the Baker numbers either, but he obviously did very well with black voters. And I don't think Huckabee did that well, but his county map from that year shows him performing better than average for a Republican along the Mississippi River. He also won Pulaski and Jefferson Counties:

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »

My understanding is Huckabee had good relations with African American religious leaders and got a lot of endorsements from them, so maybe 48% is a bit high but I definitely can see Huckabee having won a very big chunk of the African American vote.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 02:54:39 PM »

John Lindsay, NYC Mayor, 1965.

Jacob Javits, Senate from NY, 1962 and 1968.

To be fair, both of these candidates had the nomination of NY's Liberal Party, and may black voters voted for these guys on the Liberal Party line.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies