IDF kills terrorist leader in Gaza, missiles fired at Israeli innocents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  IDF kills terrorist leader in Gaza, missiles fired at Israeli innocents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDF kills terrorist leader in Gaza, missiles fired at Israeli innocents  (Read 1361 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:00:27 AM »

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israeli-operation-targets-leader-of-islamic-jihad-overnight-in-gaza-1.8118328

A joint operation by the Israeli army and the Shin Bet security service targeted a building in Gaza overnight on Monday killing Baha Abu al-Ata, the commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad in the northern Gaza Strip.

Just over an hour after the strike, multiple rocket alerts sounded in southern Israel, including in Ashdod, Beit Elazari, Ashkelon, Zikim, Karmia, and as far north as Holon and Rishon Le Zion, in the suburbs of Tel Aviv, signalling a retaliation from Gaza militants is underway.

"Ata was responsible for most attacks from the Gaza strip over the last year, including the days of battle close to Memorial Day [for Israel's fallen soldiers], the shooting on the Sderot festival on August 25, 2019, and the last rocket barrage against Sderot on Friday, November 1, 2019," the joint IDF-Shin Bet statement said, calling Ata "a ticking bomb."

We woke up this morning to more missiles. After the IDF killed a senior Islamic Jihad leader responsible for many of the attacks against Israeli citizens in recent weeks, the Islamic Jihad (an Iranian proxy organization in Gaza) decided to do what they do best- terrorize the innocenets. Missiles were fired on southern cities like Sderot, Ashkelon and Ashdod, and even at cities in the bustling center of Israel like Rishon Lezion, Holon and Tel Aviv.

The school, university and work day was cancelled from Tel Aviv southward, and there's a chance it'll be cancelled elsewhere. This is not a good sign- shutting down half the country like that is a sign that things could escalate further. The IDF signaled to the Islamic Jihad that "quiet will be answered by quiet", but as missiles continue raining down and sirens sound from Tel Aviv to Sderot, the IDF has begun strikes in Gaza. Hopefully this will quiet down soon.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:30:03 AM »

Stay safe, my friend.
Omega21

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »

Could be a dumb question, but I know you guys have a pretty sophisticated "dome" Ground to Air system, so would you say it's effective in situations like this?

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »

Could be a dumb question, but I know you guys have a pretty sophisticated "dome" Ground to Air system, so would you say it's effective in situations like this?

Isn't the dome primarily aimed at more strategic missile attacks?
Omega21

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »

Probably is, but I did also see them showing off smaller types of rockets they shoot down.

From what I have gathered, a lot of the ones that are launched are smaller, "homemade" missiles, so I dont know if the IDF can take down something so small, as I assume the signature would be far harder to detect.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 10:03:41 PM »

IIRC, it's initial intention was that, but since has been modified to be able to take out scud missiles and the other lower quality bottle rockets that the Palestinians like shoot off.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:26:30 PM »

IIRC they fired  around 50 missiles and the Dome itself shot down like 25?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 12:18:26 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2019, 12:21:28 AM by dead0man »

IIRC they fired  around 50 missiles and the Dome itself shot down like 25?
to be clear, that doesn't imply a 50% hit rate.  They don't shoot down the ones that are going to fall into empty desert (many of them) or fall in Gaza territory (a few of them...twice in the last two weeks).
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 12:32:20 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2019, 12:38:57 AM by Parrotguy »

Yeah, it's a pretty effective system but also not perfect. So far in this round, the dome had a 90% success rate in taking down missiles that are going to hit towns. That means there are still homes struck, but so far no one was killed or gravely injured afaik.

As for the homemade missiles- yeah, those I believe are harder to take down, but they can reach at most the small agricultural villages around Gaza and not the larger cities- not good, but still means that less people are in danger from them. Still, the Iron Dome manages to take many of them down too.

Anyway, right now the missiles from the Islamic Jihad continue, and Hamas said they won't stop the other organization from "taking vengeance on the zionists", but they also aren't actively participating afaik. There are serious questions as to why Israel decided to kill that leader now and spark such a firestorm, and whether a return to the strategy of taking down leaders is wise. Both the political and military leaderships say that the terrorirst leader was "a ticking bomb", but it's unclear why. The political questions about the timing are legitimate, but the military leadership was in the thick of it so I wouldn't be quick to believe this has all been politically-motivated.

Right now, it's quite embarrassing- Israel seems to be trying hard to get this round of fighting to end, but the Islamic Jihad are furious and say that "Israel started it and won't get to choose how to end it", meaning they'll continue shooting at civilians until they're satisfied. With that and with Hamas purposefully letting them continue, it's quite shameful and shows an erosion of deterrence in Gaza. Israel will definitely need a new strategy here soon, lest we also start getting trouble from Hezbollah to the north.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »

What may have some relevance is that the 15th anniversary of Yasser Arafat's death was two days ago.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 02:20:00 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2019, 11:21:27 AM by Anatole Deibler »

What may have some relevance is that the 15th anniversary of Yasser Arafat's death was two days ago.

I don't think so. The Islamic Jihad are an Iranian proxy, and they're responding (very violently) to the killing of one of their leaders.

Did I say anything inaccurate?

Anyway, my opinions on this whole affair- this entire operation has been a disaster and a military embarrassment. The Islamic Jihad said that Israel "started this, but they won't get to chose when to end this", practically proclaiming that they're in control and will continue to throw rockets on our civilians until they're satisfied. Absolutely disgraceful that we've let a small organization shut down half the country and the larger organization letting all of this happen, Hamas, is being let off the hook because we fear escalating things. The military and political leaders have called this terrorist leader a ticking bomb, and perhaps they're right, but this never should've done during such a politically precarious time, it should've been done when we're willing to escalate and face our enemies head-on. For all the hot wind about his strong leadership, Bibi has never been much of a "warmonger" or a strong leader. The next government will need to work hard on a new strategy in Gaza to return our deterrence but also start giving Gazans hope for the future and a reason to stop fighting, lest Hezbollah in the north are emboldened too.

And in a more informative tone- apparently this round of fighting is pretty much over. A ceasefire has reportedly been reached with the help of the UN, and the IDF called the operation (which they named "Black Belt") over, calling it a big success that managed to strongly damage the Islamic Jihad. I don't really see it, but I'm also not a professional, so who knows. The IDF has turned its eyes north now, to a possible looming conflict with Iran in the Syria-Lebanon borders.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 10:28:18 AM »

Hamas and the Iranian proxies break ceasefire, says "Isreal won't choose timing of ops"

One of them was a big bastard.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 02:42:30 PM »

Hamas leaders probably dont get a lot of exercise outdoors. And those Lebanese deserts are to die for.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 04:06:47 AM »

4 rockets from Syria this morning
Four rockets were launched from Syria toward the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights at dawn on Tuesday, setting off air-raid sirens but causing no harm, according to the Israeli military.

The military said that the incoming fire was intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome air defense system and that it appeared no rockets had fallen on the Israeli-controlled side of the line.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 07:23:41 AM »

more rockets fired at civilians yesterday
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies