2008 with a larger field
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:19:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 with a larger field
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: 2008 with a larger field  (Read 12458 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »

May 3rd, 2011: John Kasich announces he's running for President

Republican governor of Ohio and former Representative John Kasich has announced his presidential campaign during a press conference in Cleveland. "I am a common-sense moderate, unlike President Clark" Kasich said. "I will work with both parties in Congress to serve the American people while remaining faithful to my views". Kasich said his priority as President would be to lower taxes across the board, fix infrastructure, and make healthcare more affordable.

May 7th, 2011: Jeb Bush announces presidential campaign

Former Governor of Florida Jeb Bush has announced his run for president of the United States in a YouTube video. "Many issues are plaguing America, and we need common-sense, conservative solutions to them" Bush said in the video. "My Administration will cherish school choice, balance the budget, and follow a strong but humble foreign policy"

May 13th, 2011: Scott Walker throws his hat in the ring for the Republican nomination

Republican Governor of Wisconsin Scott Walker has announced he's running for President of the United States at a speech in Milwaukee.  "We have seen alarming measures from President Clark in the last four years. Our party should nominate someone capable of defeating him and putting America back on track". Walker promised healthcare vouchers and a Balanced Budget Amendment.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2022, 11:47:23 AM »

March 25th, 2012 Republican primaries: Polls show no clear frontrunner

Iowa Caucus:

Tommy Thompson 11%
Newt Gingrich 7%
Jeb Bush 6%
Scott Walker 5%
Sarah Palin 4%
John Kasich 3%
Alan Keyes 2%

New Hampshire:

John Kasich 7%
Tommy Thompson 6%
Jeb Bush 5%
Newt Gingrich 4%
Scott Walker 3%
Sarah Palin 2%
Alan Keyes 1%
BushKerry04

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2022, 12:41:17 PM »

May 5, 2011: Mitch McConnell announces candidacy for President; Republican U.S. Senate leader focuses on experience, record, and fiscal responsibility during announcement speech
LEXINGTON, KY: Introduced by his wife, former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao, and joined on stage by his family, U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rogers (R-WA), and former Governor Ernie Fletcher (R-KY), U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell formally declared his intention to seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. McConnell spoke of his biography, record, and pledged to balance the federal budget within four years, cut taxes, and return money and power to states. "I've represented our nation overseas, helped confirm justices who now preside over our federal courts, and delivered on tax cuts, education reform, and in support of our farmers. I've been involved in every national policy debate since 1985, listen to my constituents, and stand up for what I believe is right. I know who I am, I know what I stand for, and I have the experience to lead America," McConnell declared.

May 15, 2011: Margaret Spellings announces candidacy for President; candidate pledges to focus on education, debt, and entitlement programs
ANN ARBOR, MI: Joined by her family and introduced by former Governor John Engler (R-MI), former U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings declared her intention to seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination during a speech in her hometown of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Spellings pledged to raise educational standards, expand school choice, support a constitutional balanced budget amendment, and work on a bipartisan basis to reform social security and medicare. "Presidential campaigns should not only be about winning elections, but they should also be about advancing ideas and values that matter. I'm running for President to offer all Americans proven leadership and conservative principles. I have a record of taking on big challenges, forging consensus, and offering solutions," Spellings declared.

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2022, 04:44:40 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2022, 06:13:45 PM by LeonelBrizola »

May 22th, 2011: Herman Cain announces his presidential campaign

Herman Cain, a businessman and former chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, has announced his presidential campaign during a rally in St. Louis, Missouri. Surrounded by his wife, Cain said: "America is facing many issues at home and abroad, and the Clark Administration has only worsened them." Cain talked about his trademark policy, the 9-9-9 Tax Plan, which would replace all existing taxes with a tax on financial transactions, a personal income tax, and a sales tax, all at 9%. Cain also vowed to implement school choice and develop initiative among non-white business owners, with malpractice reform and cutting red tape for private insurers also being part of his agenda.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2022, 04:00:51 PM »

May 25th, 2016: Race shaken by Mitch McConnell's entry

Iowa Caucus:

Mitch McConnell 10%
Tommy Thompson 8%
Scott Walker 7%
Jeb Bush 6%
Sarah Palin 5%
Margaret Spellings 4%
Dan Quayle 4%
Newt Gingrich 4%
Herman Cain 3%
John Kasich 3%
Alan Keyes 2%

New Hampshire Primary:

Mitch McConnell 8%
John Kasich 6%
Tommy Thompson 5%
Jeb Bush 5%
Margaret Spellings 5%
Newt Gingrich 4%
Dan Quayle 4%
Sarah Palin 3%
Herman Cain 3%
Scott Walker 2%
Alan Keyes 1%
BushKerry04

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2022, 02:32:54 PM »

June 1, 2011: Survey: President Clark maintains high approval rating, McConnell leads GOP field for 2012 nationally, in swing states
WASHINGTON, DC: A new NBC/WSJ survey finds President Wesley Clark and Vice President Bill Bradley maintain strong approval ratings and are favored to win re-election, as U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell has a clear lead in the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. 60% of Americans approve of the President's job performance, with 30% voicing disapproval. Vice President Bill Bradley has an approval rating of 54%, with 35% disapproving of his job performance. Similarly, 57% of Americans believe the President deserves to win re-election. In the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell enjoys a commanding lead nationally, and similarly comfortable leads in most early nominating contests. Nationally, 28% of Republicans support McConnell, with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania polling at 8% support each. No other candidate has greater than 3% support. McConnell also leads in Iowa, where he has 30% support followed by Santorum with 12%, Gingrich with 10%, and other candidates with 5% or less. In New Hampshire, McConnell has 32% support, followed by Santorum and Gingrich with 7% each, and others with 5% or less. In Nevada, McConnell enjoys the support of 27% of Republicans, followed by Gingrich with 12%, Santorum with 8%, former Ambassador Alan Keyes with 5%, and other candidates with 3% or less. McConnell's strongest lead is in South Carolina, where he has 40% support ahead of Gingrich with 10%, Santorum and Keyes with 7% each, and other candidates with 3% or less support. In Michigan, McConnell's lead is more narrow; he has 23% support, followed by Santorum with 9%, former Education Secretary Margaret Spellings with 8%, Gingrich with 5%, and other candidates with 3% or less support. In a hypothetical general election, President Wesley Clark leads all of the GOP candidates polled by double digits. He leads McConnell (54%-44%), Spellings (54%-42%), Santorum (55%-40%), Gingrich (54%-40%), and Keyes (54%-37%).

June 5, 2011: McConnell announces national campaign co-chairs, endorsements
LEXINGTON, KY: U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell announced that former Governor of Kentucky Ernie Fletcher and Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington will serve as national campaign-co chairs for his 2012 presidential campaign. Additionally, McConnell announced endorsements from the following individuals:

Current and former Governors
Ernie Fletcher (R-KY)
Robert Bentley (R-AL)
Butch Otter (R-ID)
Terry Brandstad (R-IA)
Pete Wilson (R-CA)
Mike Rounds (R-SD)
Don Sundquist (R-TN)
Haley Barbour (R-MS)

Current and former U.S. Senators
John Thune (R-SD)
Wayne Allard (R-CO)
Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
Gordon Smith (R-OR)
Lindsay Graham (R-SC)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Bill Frist (R-TN)
Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Orin Hatch (R-UT)
Trent Lott (R-MS)
Pat Roberts (R-KS)
Jim Talent (R-MO)
Pat Toomey (R-PA)
Marco Rubio (R-FL)

Current and former members of the House of Representatives
Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)
Ed Whitfield (R-KY)
Brett Guthrie (R-KY)
Geoff Davis (R-KY)
Hal Rogers (R-KY)
Joe Wilson (R-SC)
Jeff Duncan (R-SC)
David Camp (R-MI)
Jean Schmidt (R-OH)
Chris Smith (R-NJ)
Michael Quigley (R-IL)
Phil Roe (R-TN)
Jim Duncan (R-TN)
Gregg Harper (R-MS)

former presidential cabinet officials
Elaine Chao, former Secretary of Labor (candidate's wife)
Dick Cheney, former Vice President
Dan Quayle, former Vice President
James Baker, former Secretary of State
John Ashcroft, former Attorney General
Tony Snow, former Press Secretary
Susan Schwab, former U.S. Trade Representative

BushKerry04

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2022, 09:06:19 PM »

June 15, 2011: President Clark declares the U.S. economic recovery "robust and broad," challenges business to invest in labor during a speech before U.S. Chamber of Commerce
WASHINGTON, DC: Speaking before the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, President Wesley Clark touted the recovery of the U.S. economy since his inauguration. Since January 2009, the U.S. economy has added over 7 million new jobs, the unemployment rate has fallen from over 7.5% to 6%, average median income has risen $1,200, and more Americans have access to affordable health insurance and post-secondary education. "Since I've taken office, thanks to our economic program and the hard work of American workers and entrepreneurs, we've begun a broad, robust economic recovery. Wages are rising, welfare rolls are declining, businesses are investing in communities that had been left behind, families have access to affordable health insurance, postsecondary education is in reach of more Americans, and taxes are lower for 98% of businesses and individuals. We've also cracked down on discrimination and promoted equality and opportunity for all," the President declared. "Today, I call on the American business community to work with individuals, non-profits, and my administration to ensure we are providing the educational tools to help the workforces of today and tomorrow to be successful. I call on you to make strides towards greater equality and opportunity for all regardless of background by reaching out to those who presently are underrepresented as customers and employees so we can lift everyone up. And I call on you to rise to the occasion to take on the climate crisis," the President added.

July 1, 2011: Spellings details 100 days agenda while on the campaign trail in New Hampshire
MANCHESTER, NH: Republican presidential hopeful Margaret Spellings put forth a five-point, detailed agenda that she will propose to Congress during her first 100 days in office if elected President. The plan calls for:

1. Education Reform: Provide funding to states for school vouchers, incentivize states to enact merit pay programs for teachers, and establish a $50 billion fund to help offset some of the costs for students who attend institutions of higher education with majors related to education, medicine, and engineering.

2. Social Security Reform: Call on Congress to enact social security reform that allows wealthier seniors to invest some of their payroll tax dollars in private accounts, raise the retirement age by three years, and slow benefit increases for those with incomes above $80,000.

3. Fiscal reform: Cap federal spending increases to 0.5% below the rate of inflation, use 80% of savings from social security reform to add to the solvency of the program while using the other 20% to pay down the national debt, dedicate 40% of all increased federal revenue to paying down debt and reducing the deficit, gradually reduce spending not related to education, the military, veteran's programs, social security, and medicare to 2006 levels, balance the federal budget by 2018.

4. Ethics reform: Enact term limits that limit Senators to two terms and members of Congress to six terms, ban cabinet secretaries from lobbying for five years following their service, establish a bi-partisan commission to study campaign finance reform.

5. Health care reform: Enact tort reform, allow the private sector to compete with the federal government in offering low-cost prescription plans, and create a new tax incentive for insurance companies to offer lower-cost, comprehensive coverage to those with preexisting conditions.

July 15, 2011: McConnell outlines plan to return money and power to states, individuals during New Hampshire speech; candidate renews call for a constitutional balanced budget amendment, pledges to appoint conservative Attorney General
DOVER, NH: U.S. Senate Republican Leader and 2012 GOP presidential hopeful Mitch McConnell detailed his proposals to return money and power back to states and individuals during a policy speech in Dover, New Hampshire. McConnell called for a constitutional balanced budget amendment, sending funding for housing, Medicaid, and some Department of Commerce programs back to states, reversing recent capital gains tax increases, phasing out the alternative minimum tax, and lowering the corporate tax rate by 30%. He also pledged to appoint an Attorney General who will defend religious liberty and the constitution, veto tax increases, and continue to provide funding for agricultural programs. "My agenda for the nation is one that will help return money to states and individuals because I believe that while there is a role for the federal government, it's limited and gotten too big since I was first elected in 1984. This plan will reduce taxes, make Washington meet priorities by making choices, and enhance individual liberty," McConnell declared.

BushKerry04

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2022, 08:30:11 PM »

August 5, 2011: 2012 GOP candidates debate for the first time

"I'm Jim Geringer, former Governor of Wyoming, and I'm running for President of the United States in 2012. As Governor, I cut taxes, returned power to people, and defended individual liberty. I'm running for President on my record and a belief that America needs conservative leadership. Here is what I believe. I believe that Washington D.C. over taxes, overspends, over regulates, and over mandates. If elected President, my top priorities will be enacting a 17% flat income tax on earnings above $60,000 and a 17% flat tax on corporate earnings above $10 million, returning more power over agricultural policy, land management, housing, education, and welfare to states, and letting the free enterprise system work because I believe so many of the challenges we face are best left up to private individuals and businesses. Many of my opponents in this primary have served as legislators in Washington D.C. Senator McConnell speaks about the need for a balanced budget, but since he's been in Washington D.C. our national debt has increased by trillions of dollars. I am someone with a record of making decisions and getting things done, not just giving speeches on the floor of the United States Senate." - Jim Geringer

"My fellow Republicans, my fellow Americans, I have the experience to lead America. Since 1985, I've been involved in virtually every public policy debate in Washington D.C. I know who I work for, what I believe in, and how to get things done. I've worked to advance the nominations of justices who now preside over our federal courts, represented our nation overseas, and delivered on education reform, tax relief, and in support of our farmers. I seek the Presidency to offer the American people a common-sense conservative alternative to big spending progressive policies coming out of Washington D.C. I want to lead America so we can maximize economic growth and move towards a balanced federal budget where money, power, and liberty are returned to states, localities, the private sector, and individuals. My agenda gets us there, it puts in place strict spending caps, sends funding for programs back to states, calls for a constitutional balanced budget amendment, reverses the President's capital gains tax increase, and lowers taxes for businesses and working Americans. And I'll appoint an Attorney General who will defend the constitution, including religious liberty. This campaign is not about who can yell the loudest, it's about who has the experience to lead and the ability to deliver results." - Mitch McConnell

"Presidential campaigns should be about advancing ideas and values that matter. The Presidency is not about campaigning, it's about upholding the constitution, governing, and delivering for the American people. As an adviser to Governors, a President, and during my tenure as Secretary of Education, I worked to solve problems in a way that brought people together. The purpose of my Presidency will be to continue the bipartisan commitment of American Presidents to lead in international affairs while building consensus around the conservative principles we Republicans believe in. If elected, I'll lead an effort to reform social security so we can meet our commitments to our seniors, balance the federal budget within four years, build on No Child Left Behind by raising standards and expanding school choice, making health insurance more affordable while lowering prescription costs by encouraging greater competition and putting in place ethics reform that enacts congressional term limits. I made the decision to run for President because I believe in public service and making a positive difference. I have the values and experience to lead, and hope to earn your vote- Margaret Spellings

"As Governor of Wisconsin, I kept spending under control, balanced budgets, kept a lid on taxes, and reformed welfare while funding crucial programs and services for the people of my state. The people of my state, a swing state, elected me re-elected me three more times. What I see today coming out of Washington D.C. is misguided priorities and excessive debt. The question is, how do we address this? For starters, I propose both political parties come together to reform social security, medicare, and Medicaid. We have a moral obligation to provide for our seniors and the poor, but we must do so while recognizing that some upper-income folks ten or more years away from retirement might have to see slower benefit growth. We have to reform these programs to serve intended recipients while saving taxpayer dollars. I also support the penny plan to reduce federal spending and agree with Senator McConnell that it's time for a constitutional balanced budget amendment. The other way to reduce debt and fund priorities is to have a broader tax base generated through economic growth. Whether it be tax reform, promoting green energy, or supporting our farmers, we can achieve that as well" - Tommy Thompson

"The question for us in this campaign, in this era, is will we continue to accept politicians who make all sorts of promises during a primary, but then pivot based on public opinion and internal polling during general elections? Or will we try something different, and nominate a candidate who makes the moral case as to how we stand up for those things that have made our country strong; the constitution, the individual, the family, and the church. So many folks running for President this year claim that they can bring about change in Washington, but you can not change Washington until you change hearts and minds. We can talk about how the next President will lead the effort to lower marginal tax rates, or we can talk about how the next President will make an effort to not just send some power back to states, but empower individuals to make decisions for themselves while actively advocating for a recognition that there has to be moral standards we all have to be held to. If I am your nominee for President, the general election will be a campaign about defending moral values" - Alan Keyes

"In 1994, I stood alongside Republican candidates for Congress and proposed a series of reforms intended to make government more responsive to the needs of the American people. After our party won control of Congress, we went to work. We balanced the federal budget, reduced the deficit, cut taxes, reformed welfare, and enacted medicare reform. Right now, so much of what is being debated in Washington D.C. is not resonating with the American people. Americans want a tax code that is simple and fair, energy that's clean and affordable, trade agreements that are free and fair, and a fiscal policy that enables us to meet our obligations while paying down debt. That's why I have committed to supporting a 15% flat tax, working with the business community to support an energy policy that increases production and encourages growth in green energy, making sure trade agreements are fully enforced by made trade representative, and working to reform social security and medicare to preserve the solvency of those programs" - Newt Gingrich

"Senator McConnell is right that experience matters, and I have experience. But this primary is not only about experience, it's also about our values and willingness to advance those values. If we Republicans want a candidate for President and a President who is focused on standing up for our conservative principles, then we need a candidate and a President who has a record of doing just that all of the time, not just when it's politically expedient. I've won tough elections in a blue congressional district and in purple Pennsylvania running as a conservative committed to a socially and fiscally conservative agenda. During my time in Congress, I stood up for our values. I led on welfare reform and promoted religious liberty, and proudly voted for tax cuts and in support of farmers. As a private citizen, I've continued to work on behalf of candidates and causes I believe in. On every issue, Republican primary voters and all Americans can expect me to stand up for the conservative principles that define our party and policies I've advocated for throughout the entirety of my adult life." - Rick Santorum

BushKerry04

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2022, 04:59:21 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2022, 05:17:53 PM by BushKerry04 »

August 12, 2011: McConnell wins Ames, Iowa straw poll
Mitch McConnell 3,905
Newt Gingrich 2,905
Margaret Spellings 2,502
Rick Santorum 1,850
Alan Keyes 1,150
Tommy Thompson 900
Jim Geringer 450

August 25, 2011: Spellings, Gingrich announce endorsements

Spelling endorsements
Rod Paige, former Secretary of Education
Gale Norton, former Secretary of Interior
Michael Mukasey, former Attorney General
John W. Snow, former Secretary of Treasury
John Engler, former Governor (R-MI)
Jane Swift, former Governor (R-MA)
Tim Pawlenty, former Governor (R-MN)
Bob Ehrlich, former Governor (R-MD)
Gordon Humphrey, former U.S. Senator (R-NH)
Mel Martinez, former U.S. Senator (R-FL)
Phil Gramm, former U.S. Senator (R-TX) and presidential hopeful
John Sununu, former U.S. Senator (R-NH)
JC Watts, former Congressman (R-OK)
Nick Smith, former Congressman (R-MI)
Susan Molinari, former Congresswoman (R-NY)
William Baker, former Congressman (R-CA)
Gary Franks, former Congressman (R-CT)
Ken Mehlman, former RNC Chair
Steve Forbes, Businessman and former presidential hopeful
Carly Fiorina, Businesswoman

Gingrich endorsements
Mike Huckabee, former Governor (R-AK)
Tim Hutchison, former U.S. Senator (R-AK)
Jim Talent, former U.S. Senator (R-MO)
Fred Upton, Congressman (R-MI)
Dick Armey, former House Majority Leader (R-TX)
Gil Gutknecht, former Congressman (R-MN)
Rick Lazio, former Congressman (R-NY)
Charles Taylor, former Congressman (R-NC)
Bob Dornan, former Congressman (R-CA) and 1996 GOP presidential hopeful
Scott McInnis, former Congressman (R-CO)

BushKerry04

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »

October 1, 2011: Following years of lobbying by President Clark, activists, and elected officials, Congress approves the proposed Equal Rights Amendment; amendment will be sent to the states for ratification
WASHINGTON, DC: By a House vote of 390-45 and a U.S. Senate vote of 75-25, Congress approved the Equal Rights Amendment, allowing for the proposed constitutional amendment to be sent to state legislatures for approval. President Wesley Clark pledged to encourage Congress to pass the ERA during his 2008 presidential campaign and called on Congress to do so again during his inaugural address, subsequent State of the Union addresses, and in private meetings with members of the House of Representatives and United States Senate. Seven of President Clark's closest political allies in Congress, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Representatives Jim Clyburn (D-SC), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), U.S. Senators Bob Casey Jr. (D-PA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), and Sherrod Brown (D-OH), joined U.S. Senators Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) in sponsoring the legislation.

October 5, 2011: Survey: Clark favored to win re-election, maintains strong approval rating; McConnell maintains front-runner status in GOP primary

Clark approval
Approve: 58%
Disapprove: 30%

Clark approval on issues
economy: 62% approve, 28% disapprove
national debt & taxes: 60% approve, 35% disapprove
health care: 53% approve, 41% disapprove
education: 51% approve, 37% disappove
foreign policy: 70% approve, 15% disapprove
entitlement programs: 58% approve, 25% disapprove
trade: 53% approve, 38% disapprove
immigration: 54% approve, 42% disapprove
civil rights: 80% approve, 8% disapprove
ethics: 85% approve, 5% disapprove

Does Clark deserve to be re-elected?
57% yes
35% no

Bradley approval
Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 35%

Congress approval
All: 40% approve, 39% disapprove
Democrats: 42% approve, 39% disapprove
Republicans: 40% approve, 41% disapprove

State of the nation
Direction: 62% right track, 25% wrong track
Compred to 2008: 75% better off, 20% worse off

National GOP Primary
Mitch McConnell 25%
Newt Gingrich 10%
Margaret Spellings 10%
Rick Santorum 5%
Alan Keyes 3%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Jim Geringer 1%

GOP Iowa Caucuses
Mitch McConnell 27%
Newt Gingrich 10%
Margaret Spellings 10%
Rick Santorum 8%
Alan Keyes 5%
Tommy Thompson 2%
Jim Geringer 1%

GOP New Hampshire Primary
Mitch McConnell 20%
Margaret Spellings 12%
Newt Gingrich 8%
Rick Santorum 3%
Alan Keyes 2%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Jim Geringer 1%

GOP South Carolina Primary
Mitch McConnell 30%
Newt Gingrich 15%
Margaret Spellings 8%
Alan Keyes 7%
Rick Santorum 5%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Jim Geringer 1%

Hypothetical General Election
Clark 53% McConnell 38%
Clark 51% Spellings 41%
Clark 55% Gingrich 35%
Clark 57% Santorum 32%
Clark 57% Keyes 33%
Clark 55% Thompson 33%
Clark 57% Geringer 32%

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2022, 08:58:41 PM »

I thought Margaret Spellings was Margaret Heckler for a moment and I was very confused.
BushKerry04

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »

October 15, 2011: President Clark, Vice President Bradley officially launch re-election campaign; President pledges continuation of first-term policies, immigration reform, criminal justice reform, and deficit reduction if re-elected
LITTLE ROCK, AR: Joined on stage by their families, former U.S. Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR), and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), President Wesley Clark and Vice President Bill Bradley formally declared their intention to seek re-election in 2012. The President pledged to continue and expand the policies of his first term, pass comprehensive immigration reform, enact criminal justice reform that emphasizes rehabilitation over prison for those suffering from addiction, and puts in place strict spending caps to reduce the deficit if re-elected. "As we experience and celebrate an era of increased equality and opportunity, we have a moral obligation to make sure we do even more to ensure everyone is able to enjoy the same equality and opportunity. I'm running for re-election as President to build upon the policies of the past three years," the President declared.
BushKerry04

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2022, 03:02:59 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 03:06:20 PM by BushKerry04 »

November 5, 2011: Spellings pledges no new taxes, no tax cuts until budget is balanced; Gingrich and Santorum promise tax cuts and balanced budgets during presidential candidates forum
IOWA CITY, IA: At a GOP presidential candidates forum, Republican presidential hopeful Margaret Spellings pledged not to increase taxes, but also declined to commit to lowering taxes until after the federal budget is balanced. "I don't believe we should increase taxes as our economy recovers from the great recession, and I will veto tax increases. But until we balance the federal budget, which my plan does in four years, we can't afford new tax cuts. We have to minimize inflation and interest rates, so we have to balance the budget and stop increasing the deficit. My opponents in this primary are proposing tax cuts that would add to the deficit," Spellings declared. Two of her fellow candidates, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, disagreed with her assertion. "In the 1990s when I was House Speaker, we did lower taxes and balance the budget. My tax plan reduces tax loopholes while lowering tax rates to get us there," Gingrich declared. "I want to use new revenue to lower taxes for everyone and pay down debt. I want to lower the corporate tax rate to 25% to promote economic growth, which will in turn increase revenue even more," Santorum stated.

November 15, 2011: Publications endorse in primary campaign

NY Times: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
USA Today: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)
Wall Street Journal: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
Washington Post: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
Arizona Republic: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)
Boston Globe: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
San Francisco Chronicle: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)
New York Post: Rick Santorum (R)
Philadelphia Inquirer: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
New Hampshire Union-Leader: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
Miami Herald: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
Denver Post: President Wesley Clark (D)
Baltimore Sun: President Wesley Clark (D)
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)
Orlando Sentinel: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)
Charlotte Observer: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
Detriot Free-Press: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
Arkansas Democrat-Gazzette: President Wesley Clark (D)
Des Moines Register: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)
Morning Call: President Wesley Clark (D) and Margaret Spellings (R)
National Review: Newt Gingrich (R)
The Post & Courier: President Wesley Clark (D) and Mitch McConnell (R)

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2022, 03:34:34 PM »

Sounds like it will be McConnell vs spellings
BushKerry04

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:39 PM »

December 5, 2011: President Clark issues first veto of term
WASHINGTON, DC: President Wesley Clark issued his first veto, opposing legislation authorizing $1 billion of infrastructure funds to subsidize the improvement of privately owned railroad tracks. "The infrastructure bill Congress passed and the President signed into law already has increased funding for Amtrak and public transit by billions of dollars. This legislation would subsidize private property," the White House declared in a statement announcing the veto.

January 3, 2012: McConnell wins Iowa Caucuses; Geringer suspends presidential campaign
Mitch McConnell 45%
Rick Santorum 17%
Margaret Spellings 12%
Newt Gingrich 9%
Alan Keyes 8%
Tommy Thompson 5%
Jim Geringer 1%

BushKerry04

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »

Sounds like it will be McConnell vs spellings

Good guess!
BushKerry04

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »

January 10, 2012: Spellings wins New Hampshire primary; Thompson suspends presidential campaign
Margaret Spellings 35%
Mitch McConnell 25%
Newt Gingrich 18%
Rick Santorum 12%
Alan Keyes 5%
Tommy Thompson 4%

January 21, 2012: McConnell wins South Carolina primary
Mitch McConnell 40%
Margaret Spellings 20%
Newt Gingrich 18%
Alan Keyes 10%
Rick Santorum 7%
BushKerry04

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2022, 11:48:27 PM »

January 25, 2012: Ahead of Florida primary, McConnell and Spellings criticize each other on fiscal policy, taxes
BOCA RATON, FL: During campaign stops in Florida, Republican presidential candidates Mitch McConnell and Margaret Spellings criticized each other's fiscal and tax plans. During campaign stops in Naples, Tampa, and Orlando, McConnell accused Spellings of opposing tax cuts and proposing more federal spending on health care. "Secretary Spellings opposes tax relief for the American people, instead she wants to use savings from deficit reduction to increase federal involvement in health care. My plan cuts taxes and moves us towards a balanced federal budget," McConnell declared. Spellings, campaigning in Miami Beach, Boca Raton, and Orlando, called McConnell "fiscally irresponsible" and defended her policy agenda. "Senator McConnell believes the way to balance the budget is to cap federal spending to the rate of inflation, I believe we need to spend less than the rate of inflation. Senator McConnell's tax plan will add to the deficit, I want to stop tax increases, control spending, and then cut taxes. My plan gets us there in four years," Spellings declared.

January 29, 2012: McConnell wins Florida GOP primary; Gingrich suspends presidential campaign
Mitch McConnell 32%
Margaret Spellings 30%
Newt Gingrich 18%
Rick Santorum 10%
Alan Keyes 8%

February 1, 2012: Spellings wins Maine caucuses
Margaret Spellings 49%
Mitch McConnell 30%
Rick Santorum 10%
Alan Keyes 7%

BushKerry04

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2022, 06:27:07 PM »

February 4, 2012: McConnell wins Nevada Caucuses, Keyes suspends presidential campaign
Mitch McConnell 37%
Margaret Spellings 32%
Rick Santorum 25%
Alan Keyes 5%

February 7, 2012: McConnell wins Colorado caucuses, Spellings wins Minnesota caucuses
Colorado: McConnell 45% Spellings 35% Santorum 18%
Minnesota: Spellings 40% McConnell 39% Santorum 20%

BushKerry04

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »

February 28, 2012: McConnell wins Arizona, Spellings wins Michigan; Santorum suspends presidential campaign
Arizona: McConnell 40% Spellings 30% Santorum 20%
Michigan: Spellings 51% McConnell 30% Santorum 18%

March 3, 2012: McConnell wins Washington primary
Mitch McConnell 57%
Margaret Spellings 40%

March 6, 2012: McConnell wins most Super Tuesday contests; Spellings wins Massachusetts and Vermont
Alaska: McConnell 62% Spellings 37%
Georgia: McConnell 57% Spellings 42%
Idaho: McConnell 70% Spellings 28%
Massachusetts: Sellings 51% McConnell 48%
North Dakota: McConnell 60% Spellings 39%
Ohio: McConnell 53% Spellings 46%
Oklahoma: McConnell 65% Spellings 34%
Tennessee: McConnell 60% Spellings 39%
Vermont: Spellings 50% McConnell 49%
Virginia: McConnell 55% Spellings 43%

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2022, 09:14:59 PM »

McConnell safely holds the nomination by this point.
BushKerry04

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2022, 07:57:41 PM »

March 7, 2012: Spellings withdrawals from presidential race; Mitch McConnell secures GOP presidential nomination
LEXINGTON, KY: During a press conference at McConnell campaign headquarters in Lexington, Kentucky, former U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings suspended her presidential campaign and endorsed U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) for President, making McConnell the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. "I'm endorsing Mitch McConnell as the nominee of the Republican Party for President. Senator McConnell has the experience to lead, and he's committed to the principles and values my supporters and I believe in," Spellings declared. "I want to thank Secretary Spellings for her friendship and endorsement. She's a tremendous public servant, and I congratulate her supporters and her for the campaign they ran," McConnell stated. "It's an honor to be able to declare that I will be the nominee of the Republican Party for President. I want to thank my family, friends, staff, campaign team, volunteers, and the American people for helping me secure this nomination. Now, we focus on winning in November with a message of fiscal restraint and returning power, money, and influence back to states, businesses, and the American people," he added.

March 15, 2012: Survey: Clark approval increases, favored to win re-election
WASHINGTON, DC: A new CBS poll finds that President Wesley Clark's approval ratings have reached 62%, the highest of his Presidency, as 65% of Americans believe the nation is headed in the right direction. Additionally, 59% of Americans say the President deserves to be re-elected, and he leads Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee by a 53%-38% margin. The President also enjoys strong leads in every swing state; his best showing is a 52%-40% lead in Pennsylvania, while McConnell's best showing is in Missouri, where he trails the President 50%-42%.

March 17, 2012: President Clark holds first campaign rally of the general election, wins GOP endorsements
ANN ARBOR, MI: President Wesley Clark held his first campaign rally of the 2012 general election, where he won endorsements by several Republicans. The event took place in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as the President narrowly lost Michigan in 2008 despite winning every other swing state. Clark spoke of his administration's work on economic policy, civil rights, and pay equity while pledging to do more in a second term to address climate change, the national debt, and affordable housing. Those endorsing Clark include:

Henry Paulson, former Treasury Secretary
John Engler, former Governor (R-MI)
Jodi Rell, former Governor (R-CT)
Christie Todd Whitman, former Governor (R-NJ) and former EPA administrator
Bill Weld, former Governor (R-MA)
Gordon Smith, former U.S. Senator (R-OR)
Mike Castle, former Congressman (R-DE)

March 25, 2012: McConnell taps Frist to lead V.P. search committee
LEXINGTON, KY: Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Mitch McConnell has asked former U.S. Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) to lead his vice presidential search committee. Republican operatives and media reports have stated the following are potential McConnell running-mates:

Condi Rice, former U.S. Secretary of State
Tim Pawlenty, former Governor (R-MN)
George Pataki, former Governor (R-NY)
Frank Keating, former Governor (R-OK)
Bobby Jindal, former Governor (R-LA)
Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator (R-FL)
John Thune, U.S. Senator (R-SD)
Margaret Spellings, former U.S. Secretary of Education & GOP presidential hopeful
Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Congresswoman (R-WA)
Steve Forbes, Businessman & former GOP presidential hopeful

BushKerry04

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »

June 1, 2012: Survey points to possible Clark landslide; McConnell's home state in play
WASHINGTON, DC: A new comprehensive national and state-by-state survey conducted by Quinnipiac University finds President Wesley Clark with a commanding lead in the race for President. The President enjoys a 12% lead (51%-39%) over Presumptive Republican Presidential nominee Mitch McConnell nationwide. The President also enjoys commanding leads in the swing states of Ohio (50%-42%), Pennsylvania (53%-41%), Michigan (52%-43%), Wisconsin (52%-44%), Virginia (52%-42%), Florida (51%-43%), Colorado (54%-40%), Nevada (53%-41%), North Carolina (48%-41%), Iowa (48%-43%), New Hampshire (55%-40%), and Missouri (47%-43%). But pollsters are surprised by how close the President has made many reliably Republican states, including McConnell's home state of Kentucky. The President and McConnell are presently tied in Indiana, Alaska, and Texas. The President leads McConnell in Arizona (47%-45%) while McConnell enjoys small leads in Louisiana (47%-43%), Tennessee (47%-44%), and Montana (45%-44%). In Kentucky, McConnell leads the President by just seven points, 52%-45%. As expected, the President leads McConnell in his home state of Arkansas, 55%-35%. The President enjoys his strongest leads in California (62%-28%), Massachusetts (61%-35%), and Vice President Bill Bradley's home state of New Jersey (60%-30%) while McConnell's strongest leads are in Idaho (51%-41%), Wyoming (50%-42%), and North Dakota (49%-42%).
BushKerry04

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2022, 09:26:15 PM »

August 5, 2012: McConnell selects McMorris Rogers as running-mate
CINCINNATI, OH: At a campaign rally in Cincinnati, Ohio, Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Mitch McConnell announced that Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rogers of Washington will be his running-mate in the 2012 presidential election. "Congresswoman McMorris Rogers has been an ally in the effort to balance the federal budget, defend religious liberty, and return power, money, and influence back to states and the American people. She has the experience to be Vice President," McConnell declared.

BushKerry04

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »

August 29, 2012: Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rogers of Washington accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination; McMorris Rogers calls for Republican unity, conservative leadership
"This campaign is a choice between two very different philosophies. One philosophy supports more government spending, more federal involvement in health care and education, higher taxes, and using courts as a legislature. The other philosophy, our philosophy, says that we need to pay for those things we spend money on, more power and money should be returned to the American people, and that we must adhere to the constitution. That's why Senator McConnell and I have called for a constitutional balanced budget amendment and are committed to a flat tax, school choice, and nominating an Attorney General who will defend religious liberty in America. My message to Republicans is, if you want lower taxes, fiscal responsibility, and social conservatism, we ask you to vote for us as your Republican ticket this fall. Senator McConnell has a record of conservative leadership. He's voted to balance the federal budget, reform welfare, and led the effort in the United States Senate to make the Bush tax cuts permanent. And Senator McConnell has helped confirm the nominations of conservative judges who now preside over our federal courts. My message to independents and Democrats is, while we might not agree on every issue, Senator McConnell and I are committed to working with Republicans and Democrats alike to do what's right for America. That's why we voted with members of both parties to increase educational standards and support the American farmer. We'll continue to make sure that education and supporting our farmers and ranchers are priorities, which is why we will support school choice and strengthening agricultural tax credits and the farm income stabilization program. Our opponents are focused on the past four years, Senator McConnell present a vision for the future that is based on the idea that Washington D.C. spends, taxes, and regulates too much when Americans really need money and power returned to them" - Cathy McMorris Rogers

August 30, 2012: U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell accepts Republican Presidential Nomination; candidate focuses on biography, fiscal plan during speech
"In 1984, I ran for the United States Senate to give back to my state and this great nation of ours that has allowed someone from a modest background get a decent education, attend law school, and serve as a county prosecutor. I ran to represent the views and values of Americans whose names are not known and faces are not seen in Washington D.C. or Hollywood. I ran to stand up for the people I know best, the people who work hard in the heartland of America. For I am the product of that American heartland. I grew up learning the value of hard work, personal responsibility, telling the truth, and treating all with respect regardless of who they are. The quest for equal justice and an appreciation of American law led me to college, law school, and public service. During my years in the United States Senate, I've made decisions about public policy on the basis of how each law would impact everyday Americans and help me advance the values I believe in. That's why I've sponsored legislation to assist the American farmer, led the effort to make tax relief permanent, voted for balancing the federal budget, worked to improve our education system with higher standards, and helped confirm the nominations of conservative justices who now preside over federal courts. I've represented our nation on the world stage, stood up for principle, and worked on a bipartisan basis to accomplish objectives. As I seek the Presidency of the United States, I do so as no stranger to public policy or assuming leadership positions. I've led and have never forgotten who I am, what I stand for, and who I work for. If I'm so fortunate to earn the trust of the American people, I promise that I'll lead with integrity and always be transparent with you. I'll use my experience to work with Congress to balance the federal budget and return money, power, and influence back to states, businesses, and the American people. I'll reform our tax code with a flat tax rate to encourage entrepreneurship and enable Americans to keep more of what they earn. I'll appoint an Attorney General who will defend the constitution, including religious liberty because I believe that faith plays an integral role in our lives. And I will continue to promote parental choice, more local control, and higher standards as it relates to education because I want to ensure that every student has the chance to get a quality education. What my candidacy and our Republican Party offer the American people is experienced leadership and a belief in the individual" - Mitch McConnell

September 5, 2012: Vice President Bill Bradley accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination; Bradley touts progressive and bipartisan accomplishments, paints opposition as extreme
"My fellow Democrats, my fellow Americans, four years ago Americans were rightfully anxious and concerned about the state of affairs in our country. But we were never pessimistic or unrealistic about what it would take to correct course and move our nation in a new direction. Following recession, financial crisis, and growing inequality, we came together as one nation and moved beyond the mistakes of yesterday. As Americans, we can and should celebrate the many successes of the past four years. Strengthened civil rights and equal pay law, tax incentives for job creation, tax reform that is providing tax relief for 98% of Americans while limiting corporate tax loopholes, a higher minimum wage, universal access to health care for working families, record education funding at every level in every zip code, new investments in conservation and green technology, new funding for infrastructure improvements, and stronger protections for consumers. The question now is, where do we go from here? And which ticket is best prepared to get us there? Senator McConnell has voted against our economic agenda, against investments in conservation and green energy, against expanding access to health insurance and higher education, and against cutting taxes for 98% of Americans. The centerpiece of his campaign is now a $2 trillion tax cut, most of which would benefit the wealthiest corporations in America. Our agenda for the future is different. More funding for affordable housing. Expanding incentives for job creation and green energy to confront climate change. Comprehensive immigration reform. And a fiscal plan that eliminates the federal budget deficit without a tax increase for working Americans and Main Street businesses. We want to move America forward in unity and with the purpose of continuing to expand equality and opportunity for all Americans" - Bill Bradley

September 6, 2012: President Wesley Clark accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination; President touts first-term accomplishments, vision for the future during acceptance speech
"Four years ago, I accepted the nomination of our party for President of the United States during a period of economic crisis, the likes of which our country hasn't experienced in generations. Jobs were being lost, inequality was growing, foreclosures plagued every community, and access to health care, education, and even justice became out of reach for millions of Americans. I asked you then to join me in ushering in an era of equality and opportunity for every American. As has always been the case in this great nation of ours, citizens across the land have rallied and worked to usher in a new era in politics and America. While not every problem has been solved, we have made tremendous progress in growing the economy in every zip code, strengthening the safety net, ensuring justice for all, improving education, supporting our veterans, tackling climate change, and leading the world once again. Since I took office in January 2009, the American people have created over 8.5 million new jobs, wages have increased by over $2,000, business formation has reached an eight-year high, the gender pay gap has begun to shrink, educational outcomes have improved for all, more students are enrolled in higher education than ever before, 18 million more Americans now have access to health insurance, and CO2 emissions are down by over 30%. We've done all of this while cutting taxes and reducing the deficit in half. Tonight, I ask you to join me not only in continuing the policies of the past four years, but to do even more to ensure equality and opportunity for every American. A second term provides us with the chance to expand incentives for job creation, do even more to support our veterans, and make more investments in green energy to confront climate change. We'll work with the private sector, non-profit organizations, and local governments to double affordable housing stock over the next decade. We'll pass comprehensive immigration reform that ensures funding for border security while granting a pathway to citizenship for those who play by the rules and want to become citizens of this great nation. And we'll work to eliminate the deficit and increase the solvency of social security because we owe that to our seniors. My fellow Americans, I believe in treating all with respect, equality and opportunity for all, telling the truth, and serving others. I know you believe in these principles as well, for these are ideals that form the core of our national identity. I've seen these principles in action, and tonight I humbly ask for your support so we can continue to advance our values in a second term" - Wesley Clark

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies