Rate IL-17 for 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:08:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rate IL-17 for 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which party will win Illinois' 17th congressional district in 2020?
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tilt D/Tossup

Tilt R/Tossup

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Rate IL-17 for 2020  (Read 1188 times)
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:01:34 AM »

Only reason I'm polling this one is that it's one of the NRCC's targets for 2020. Cook and Sabato also rate it as not safe.

This district has a PVI of D+3. Currently represented by Democrat Cheri Bustos, IL-17 consists of much of Illinois' northwest, and cities such as Peoria and Rockford. In 2012, Obama won this district by 16%. In 2016, Trump won this district by 0.7%.

Recent Results
2018: D +24.2
2016: D +20.6
2014: D +11
2012: D +6.6
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »

Likely D, near-safe. Could go the way of MN-07 eventually, but that would take >10 years.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2019, 01:17:05 PM by Deluded retread Vice Chair LFROMNJ »

Likely D, near-safe. Could go the way of MN-07 eventually, but that would take >10 years.

Nah its gonna be much more urban post 2020 with all the rural areas stripped out for Mcclean county but anyway to the main topic, im keeping it at Likely D for now. Bustos probably should win but its not impossible she loses.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »

People overrate this one - of course Bustos overperformed in 2018, she was running against a 9/11 truther. With that said, she is a strong incumbent and I would be shocked to see her lose, so strong likely D.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »

While Trump could win this district again, I'd say Bustos is likely to overperform the Democrat by at least several points. Likely D, bordering on Safe.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »

Likely D. Bustos is a strong incumbent and the GOP has barely any bench here.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »

Likely D.   Bustos is going to be tough as nails for the GOP to take down.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »

IL GOP is... not in a good way, folks. This is not the cycle they're gonna be picking up seats like this.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »

Likely D. Anyway it would be stupid to target this district considering that Madigan will gerrymander it in order to make it even more D friendly (you know gerrymandering is good when democrats do it.)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 03:58:12 PM »

Likely D. Anyway it would be stupid to target this district considering that Madigan will gerrymander it in order to make it even more D friendly (you know gerrymandering is good when democrats do it.)

Most people who oppose gerrymandering oppose it for both sides, gerrymandering is bad because it's undemocratic not just for partisan reasons. You're just pulling assumptions out of your ass.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

Nah its gonna be much more urban post 2020 with all the rural areas stripped out for Mcclean county but anyway to the main topic, im keeping it at Likely D for now. Bustos probably should win but its not impossible she loses.

There is no McLean in this district, and I don't know how it gets much more urban it's already gerrymandered to be as Democratic as possible. It remains Likely D though because if Trump barely won last time then a generic Republican against Bustos will have a very tough time winning it. Republicans should target it though, stupid to ignore large Republican swinging districts like this.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »

Likely D. Bustos is a strong incumbent and the GOP has barely any bench here.

The seats in the state legislature that overlap with IL-17 are predominantly Republican (including two legislative gains in this region in 2016 - SD-47 and HD-71 - helped in part by the Trump trend), so I wouldn't exactly call that a weak bench. I think one of the GOP's problems is that Bustos is a solid fundraiser and has maintained a level of crossover appeal to entrench herself. Because of that, many prospective GOP candidates haven't really put in an effort to take her down, and she's left facing weak opposition like that 9/11 truther she faced last year.

With that said, I'd still peg this race as only Likely D. I think Bustos will overperform the Democratic presidential nominee by a fair bit, though I can't shake the feeling that she could succumb to the broader national trend of politicians losing some crossover appeal - winning by thinner margins than in previous races.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »

Likely to safe Democrat. Is there even a credible Republican running?

It is not like Trump won this district by a landslide. It was a very small margin and a complete toss up on who wins the congressional district in 2020 (Trump vs Democrat).

Though I agree Buston probably only wins by around 10 assuming there is a Republican who is not a clown.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »

Safe D for 2020. Bustos might collapse some, and I expect Trump to carry her district by more this time, but it definitely won't be enough to drag her down. She's a genuinely strong incumbent and as things stand now, it would take a GOP wave to take her out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies