2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Louisiana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:28:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Louisiana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Louisiana  (Read 38355 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »

Nonpartisan map with only one VRA district. Such a map is possible because Democrats have just enough seats in the state legislature to allow Edwards to veto a bad map.

Would Edwards himself run in this LA-06?  He seems like the perfect candidate for it.

*He'd have to wait until 2024, but there's no way a Deep South Trump seat is flipping for Generic D in the 2022 midterm. 

He’s dead
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »

Nonpartisan map with only one VRA district. Such a map is possible because Democrats have just enough seats in the state legislature to allow Edwards to veto a bad map.

Would Edwards himself run in this LA-06?  He seems like the perfect candidate for it.

*He'd have to wait until 2024, but there's no way a Deep South Trump seat is flipping for Generic D in the 2022 midterm. 

He’s dead

I think that the poster is refer to John Bel Edwards, the incumbent Governor, not Edwin Edwards, the now deceased comically corrupt ex-Governor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2021, 08:57:45 AM »

He’s dead

I think that the poster is refer to John Bel Edwards, the incumbent Governor, not Edwin Edwards, the now deceased comically corrupt ex-Governor.

Doesn’t John Bel Edwards live in LA-1 on this map?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2021, 10:19:05 AM »

He’s dead

Doesn’t John Bel Edwards live in LA-1 on this map?

IDK- this map splits his home Parish between LA-01 and LA-06.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »

Edwards came from Amite, which is in my LA-06.
chalmetteowl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »

i keep on saying: the only D who can win in LA other than the VRA house district is Edwards, and he shouldn't waste his time on a House seat when he can challenge for Cassidy's seat in 2026
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »

i keep on saying: the only D who can win in LA other than the VRA house district is Edwards, and he shouldn't waste his time on a House seat when he can challenge for Cassidy's seat in 2026
Do you mean with a GOP gerrymander or a nonpartisan map like mine?

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2021, 01:55:29 PM »

Maybe, but this only makes sense if the president in 2026 is a Republican.  He could have a nearly sure thing lined up in 2024 if he's willing to go to the House. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2021, 10:48:58 AM »

Lol.
If Edwards is dumb enough to think he could win a senate race statewide...I don’t know what to say.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2021, 03:34:15 PM »

Updated for better compactness.

Presidential results in 2020.

2019 gubernatorial runoff results.

chalmetteowl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2021, 06:46:28 PM »

Lol.
If Edwards is dumb enough to think he could win a senate race statewide...I don’t know what to say.

he just won governor statewide twice, and Cassidy voted guilty on Trump's second impeachment.

now if it's anyone else but Cassidy, he doesn't have a shot
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »

One thing that’s interesting is we might actually end up with a pretty fair Louisiana House map and Dems might be able to continue to deny the GOP a supermajority.

According to my calculations, Dems actually have a pretty decent geography advantage in the state, mostly thanks to white rurals “hyper packing” and black areas being lower turnout. Combine that with VRA, and you get a bunch of 60ish% Dem districts and 80% R districts. It’s actually pretty easy to make a relatively compact LA House map on 2020 numbers where Biden outright wins a majority of seats.

Am I saying Dems will outright win a majority under the new maps. Def not. However, I do think they will be given a good 40% of the seats or so and have no less of a viable path to a majority than in a state like Ohio or even Wisconsin which is weird to think about.
At first I didn't believe it.
But lo and behold...
https://davesredistricting.org/join/9ec3a530-2366-437b-9bea-014fbf0d2edd
Only 50 Trump districts, out of 105.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2021, 05:01:53 PM »

One thing that’s interesting is we might actually end up with a pretty fair Louisiana House map and Dems might be able to continue to deny the GOP a supermajority.

According to my calculations, Dems actually have a pretty decent geography advantage in the state, mostly thanks to white rurals “hyper packing” and black areas being lower turnout. Combine that with VRA, and you get a bunch of 60ish% Dem districts and 80% R districts. It’s actually pretty easy to make a relatively compact LA House map on 2020 numbers where Biden outright wins a majority of seats.

Am I saying Dems will outright win a majority under the new maps. Def not. However, I do think they will be given a good 40% of the seats or so and have no less of a viable path to a majority than in a state like Ohio or even Wisconsin which is weird to think about.
But lo and behold...

Nice job! It's def a suprising example of pretty extreme favorable geography
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2021, 05:17:45 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2021, 07:15:48 PM by Skill and Chance »

But lo and behold...

Holy crap.  LA Dems need to find 10+ JBE wannabes ASAP.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2021, 07:31:48 PM »

But lo and behold...

I tried to do the same thing with the State Senate. It definitely is harder. I still was able to get a majority of Biden districts though.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/50529d59-7aed-4668-a24e-7bf09aca8c13
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2021, 07:51:23 PM »

Are we going to see a trend where Democrats increasingly have geographical advantages in the Deep South?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2021, 11:58:49 PM »

Are we going to see a trend where Democrats increasingly have geographical advantages in the Deep South?

Yes, with the possible exception of GA because almost all the Dems are within 50 miles of Atlanta, but even there the majority-white rural areas are now extreme R packs, so it’s starting to even out.
chalmetteowl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2021, 11:38:12 PM »

i wouldn't think there would be any advantage when both parties are packed similarly. it depends on who draws the maps

they can be centered in cities and fan out (New Orleans could have three different Democrat House members who win close races in swingy districts) or be bigger in size and just dip into the cities (New Orleans could have 0 Democrat House members, each losing close races to suburban R members)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2021, 11:52:55 AM »

BTW didn't Louisiana just propose/pass an amendment to change the size (and by necessity change the districts) of the state supreme court from 7 to 9 justices?  I believe this was a bipartisan affair and one of the goals was to have 3 black-majority districts instead of the current 1? 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2021, 11:55:38 AM »

BTW didn't Louisiana just propose/pass an amendment to change the size (and by necessity change the districts) of the state supreme court from 7 to 9 justices?  I believe this was a bipartisan affair and one of the goals was to have 3 black-majority districts instead of the current 1? 

I think it failed in the house. Also I think 9 seats only gives 2 black majority really regarding an Orleans and Baton Rouge seat.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »

I think it failed in the house. Also I think 9 seats only gives 2 black majority really regarding an Orleans and Baton Rouge seat.

Yes, confirmed it failed. 

The current LA Supreme Court is 5R/1D/1I(former rural D).
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2021, 07:44:40 PM »

I was able to draw a 4R - 2D LA map. Both Dem seats are AA opportunity seats, but they're pluralities though. The 2nd Dem seat Biden won by around 5%.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/a89d787c-6052-4c21-895f-081350e22010

Spectator
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »

Yes, with the possible exception of GA because almost all the Dems are within 50 miles of Atlanta, but even there the majority-white rural areas are now extreme R packs, so it’s starting to even out.

Even in Georgia there’s still a lot of deep blue pockets outside the growing Atlanta bubble. It’s easy to draw two Safe Democrat non-ATL seats with the current GA-02 and a Savannah to Augusta seat. On top of that, you can draw a blue-tilting district with Athens, plus the rural black belt counties east of Macon and drawing all the way to pick up parts of Gwinnett County that GA-07 has left over.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2021, 06:28:50 AM »

Even in Georgia there’s still a lot of deep blue pockets outside the growing Atlanta bubble. It’s easy to draw two Safe Democrat non-ATL seats with the current GA-02 and a Savannah to Augusta seat. On top of that, you can draw a blue-tilting district with Athens, plus the rural black belt counties east of Macon and drawing all the way to pick up parts of Gwinnett County that GA-07 has left over.

Yes, I looked into it since making that post, and GA is not actually a slam dunk for R's geographically like say WI or MI.  It's only a bare advantage. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2021, 06:44:59 AM »

Yes, I looked into it since making that post, and GA is not actually a slam dunk for R's geographically like say WI or MI.  It's only a bare advantage.  

Ye according to my calculations, GA’s geography bias is R + 1.52. States like WI and MI have a geography bias above R + 10. I think another big difference between GA and a lot of southern states is the fact Atlanta metro actually has pretty decent turnout, alongside the fact at least downtown is a Dem hyper-pack
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies