2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Indiana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Indiana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Indiana  (Read 15600 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2021, 10:42:02 PM »

Really just reminds me of how much imma miss the clean Indiana map we currently have. My guess is the safe districts can be made cleaner though, but any Gary crack won’t look nice, especially since it causes a weird situation with IN-3 where it’s not quite enough to take in Ft Wayne but also not quite enough not to
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2021, 11:29:50 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2021, 11:36:09 PM by ERM64man »

My wacky 9R-0D Pubmander map that cracks Gary and Indianapolis. It’s a maximalist IDGAF about incumbents GOP map.

Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2021, 09:23:22 PM »

Here's my attempt to draw a 9-0 R Gerrymander.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/cc188286-921c-48a0-844d-7f3c0e08ef73

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2021, 10:24:19 PM »

Is there any chance Rs risk a 9-0 map. The poster above actually made a pretty clean one.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »

Is there any chance Rs risk a 9-0 map. The poster above actually made a pretty clean one.

Indianapolis literally looks like a sphincter on that map. There is no chance a legislature does that kind of 5-way split.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2021, 10:45:03 PM »

Here's a cleaner 9-0 map. I'll see if I can do a map that only splits Marion 3 ways.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2021, 12:11:30 AM »

9-0 is definitely doable, everything likely and safe R, though which seats fit into which category might change throughout the decade.  No Republican incumbents are double bunked either. I doubt they'd be this aggressive considering no incumbent would be particularly happy with having a seat that could be in play during a wave election, but I think 8-1 is very doable.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »

I tried my hand at a fair 9-district map of Indiana.

Image Link

The Population Deviation is less than 0.01%, and it reflects 2015 - 2019 ACS Data.

36/100 on Dave's Proportionality Index
84/100 on the Compactness Index
79/100 on County Splitting
42/100 on the Minority Representation index
4/100 on Dave's competitiveness index (lol)

The map above shows results from the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election (the closest to the 2020 U.S. Presidential election out of the choices given).

Check it out here and see county and municipality boundaries.

Partisan Breakdown by Election

2016 Indiana Attorney General Election: 7R to 2D

2016 U.S. Senate Election in Indiana: 7R to 2D

2016 Indiana Gubernatorial Election: 7R to 2D

2016 U.S. Presidential Election in Indiana: 7R to 2D

2018 U.S. Senate Election in Indiana: 7R to 2D

Opinions?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »

I tried my hand at a fair 9-district map of Indiana.

Image Link

The Population Deviation is less than 0.01%, and it reflects 2015 - 2019 ACS Data.

36/100 on Dave's Proportionality Index
84/100 on the Compactness Index
79/100 on County Splitting
42/100 on the Minority Representation index
4/100 on Dave's competitiveness index (lol)

The map above shows results from the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election (the closest to the 2020 U.S. Presidential election out of the choices given).

Check it out here and see county and municipality boundaries.

Partisan Breakdown by Election

2016 Indiana Attorney General Election: 7R to 2D

2016 U.S. Senate Election in Indiana: 7R to 2D

2016 Indiana Gubernatorial Election: 7R to 2D

2016 U.S. Presidential Election in Indiana: 7R to 2D

2018 U.S. Senate Election in Indiana: 7R to 2D

Opinions?
That Indianapolis district is interesting. First time I've seen such a district.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »

Expect proposal maps September 14 (one week from today):

https://indianacitizen.org/house-adds-another-public-hearing-on-redistricting-to-be-held-one-day-after-release-of-maps/
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2021, 10:49:34 PM »

Indiana finally has 2020 Election data!

Here is a 8-1 R map that I drew based on the 2020 Prez election.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/880181ce-d0b9-47bc-8287-4e5bce710002

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2021, 06:22:29 PM »

Made an updated 9-0. Still possible on 2020; closest district is IN-1 at Trump + 11. I tried to balance the districts with urban, suburban, and rural areas so by the time a district flips to Dems Dems are probably competative in Indiana and the GOP is in the trash nationtionally. Any chance the GOP goes for something like this?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »

Splitting Indianapolis like that would lead to lawsuits up the ass. A 8-1 is more likely than 9-0.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2021, 09:13:51 PM »

Splitting Indianapolis like that would lead to lawsuits up the ass. A 8-1 is more likely than 9-0.
I think they'll go 8-1 but what exactly would you sue over? Carson's seat is not protected by the VRA as the current version is less than 30% black.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »

I think they'll go 8-1 but what exactly would you sue over? Carson's seat is not protected by the VRA as the current version is less than 30% black.

I'm sure you can argue - and groups will if done - that a 30% AA seat offers access to minority voters cause they on their own can decide the Dem primary, which then decides the general. Carving it up therefore violates the VRA because you are - and not the natural process of population migration as seen in Detroit for example - eliminating minority access already granted and proven to work.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2021, 08:00:36 AM »

Maps supposed to come out today.

https://howeypolitics.com/Content/HPI-News/-HPI-News/Article/Atomic-Biden-goes-the-mandate-route-Blistering-GOP-response-Map-Tuesday-Rep-Clere-primaried/39/123/28047

General Assembly Republicans will unveil Indiana and U.S. House maps on Tuesday. Tom Davies of AP writes: The big question is whether they will focus on shoring up the suburban Indianapolis district that U.S. Rep. Victoria Spartz narrowly kept in Republican hands last year to maintain their 7-2 control of Indiana’s U.S. House delegation. A more aggressive approach could see them try to carve up the northwestern Indiana district now held by U.S. Rep. Frank Mrvan with the aim of ending Democrats’ decades long dominance there and gaining another GOP seat as Republicans look to regain U.S. House control in the 2022 midterm elections. Davies notes that due to population shifts, Spartz's 5th CD must shed 51,000 voters (goodbye Marion County), U.S. Rep. Andre Carson's 7th CD has 33,000 too many, while U.S. Reps. Larry Buchson's 8th CD and Greg Pence's 6th CD will need to pick up around 30,000 voters.

Per The Cheat Sheet, the state legislature maps are supposed to look cleaner than the previous version was.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2021, 08:30:09 AM »

https://howeypolitics.com/Content/HPI-News/-HPI-News/Article/Atomic-Biden-goes-the-mandate-route-Blistering-GOP-response-Map-Tuesday-Rep-Clere-primaried/39/123/28047

General Assembly Republicans will unveil Indiana and U.S. House maps on Tuesday. Tom Davies of AP writes: The big question is whether they will focus on shoring up the suburban Indianapolis district that U.S. Rep. Victoria Spartz narrowly kept in Republican hands last year to maintain their 7-2 control of Indiana’s U.S. House delegation. A more aggressive approach could see them try to carve up the northwestern Indiana district now held by U.S. Rep. Frank Mrvan with the aim of ending Democrats’ decades long dominance there and gaining another GOP seat as Republicans look to regain U.S. House control in the 2022 midterm elections. Davies notes that due to population shifts, Spartz's 5th CD must shed 51,000 voters (goodbye Marion County), U.S. Rep. Andre Carson's 7th CD has 33,000 too many, while U.S. Reps. Larry Buchson's 8th CD and Greg Pence's 6th CD will need to pick up around 30,000 voters.

Per The Cheat Sheet, the state legislature maps are supposed to look cleaner than the previous version was.

Do we know when specifically? Also keeping my fingers crossed that they don't crack Gary.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »

Do we know when specifically? Also keeping my fingers crossed that they don't crack Gary.
I think around noon, so just over an hour.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:54 AM »

This is something I find interesting about Indiana. In 2012 they understood the GOP had a solid partisan advantage and didn't see any need to mess up the lines and did a clean gerrymander  - sensible but biased. Interesting to see that it might happen again.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »

This is something I find interesting about Indiana. In 2012 they understood the GOP had a solid partisan advantage and didn't see any need to mess up the lines and did a clean gerrymander  - sensible but biased. Interesting to see that it might happen again.

The state legislative lines were pretty ugly. Mitch daniels wanted a cleaner map congressionally though
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2021, 11:02:14 AM by StateBoiler »

The state legislative lines were pretty ugly. Mitch daniels wanted a cleaner map congressionally though

The congressional map to me as it is now is pretty much perfect. The number of split counties is so small and largely fell in line with the TV reach. When I attended the initial Libertarian redistricting meeting I cited the 3rd district as being perfect in my opinion because the lines were drawn pretty much matched everywhere that the Fort Wayne TV stations reached to (minus the counties over in Ohio of course).

If they try to crack Lake County I frankly think that's dumb. I wish I could've attended the redistricting meeting they held in Fort Wayne but could not, but the one thing I would've mentioned if I could have, was there should only be one district in any map (Congress, State Senate, State House) that crosses the time zone line in NW Indiana and only one district that crosses the time zone line in SW Indiana. There's a very real reason for why you shouldn't of you have different poll opening and closing times. For Mrvan's district, that would mean you give him probably the rest of LaPorte County and then go grab the 3 rock-red Republican counties to the south before you start touching the eastern time zone. This district is one if I were a Republican mapmaker I'd just leave alone. Give Mrvan more territory because he needs it, and the district is naturally becoming more Republican. Just let it naturally occur.

John Jacobs from the State House is supposedly going to get drawn into the same district with a Democrat, he was kicked out of the Republican caucus earlier this year, so is not someone the Republicans would mind being gone. There's 1 or 2 other intransigents they may make life difficult for. A lot of Republican rural retirements from the state legislature because where the population growth was occurring was making redistricting impossible to keep everyone happy. Two Senate Democrats from Marion County, J.D. Ford and Faddy Quaddora, were likely to be drawn together, although that's due to I guess they live very close together and I read that was likely going to happen many months ago.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2021, 11:02:10 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2021, 11:06:32 AM by BoiseBoy »

The House Republican Caucus has posted their proposed map. They do NOT crack Lake County:
https://www.indianahouserepublicans.com/clientuploads/2021/Redistricting/All_Map_Comparison_Congressional_Districts.pdf

A more detailed view with city lines:
https://www.indianahouserepublicans.com/clientuploads/2021/Redistricting/Proposed_2021_Congressional_Maps_Districts_Counties_Townships_Cities.pdf
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »

They drew 7-2, IN-1 not cracked.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »

Least-Change style plan, looks great. IN-05 trades the south of the county for the north to reinforce IN-05, but we knew that was coming from a mile away.  

Shorten links please.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

For all the focus on IN-01, the biggest change from the map seems to be centered on the South of the state. The current IN-09 is practically dismantled.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies