What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)  (Read 45339 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: January 02, 2021, 03:48:54 AM »

I've been reading decently large amounts of detective fiction actually, might post a thread on it tomorrow. But yes, I'm a moderate Sherlockian.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 02:47:48 PM »

Just read The Moviegoer. Excellent and very existential book, and one I think forum dwellers might especially like. Binx Bolling's narrative voice reminded me of Xahar lol.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 06:59:19 PM »

Just read The Moviegoer. Excellent and very existential book, and one I think forum dwellers might especially like. Binx Bolling's narrative voice reminded me of Xahar lol.

Well, I can't think of a more pleasing way to have a book recommended to me than this.

Trigger warning: In a book which is otherwise highly specific geographically, Percy has many of his characters come from an unspecified "Feliciana Parish."
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 09:50:01 PM »

Well, I can't think of a more pleasing way to have a book recommended to me than this.

Trigger warning: In a book which is otherwise highly specific geographically, Percy has many of his characters come from an unspecified "Feliciana Parish."

That didn't particularly bother me, but I looked up where Bayou des Allemandes is and it would be impossible for that to be on the way when driving from Bay St. Louis to New Orleans.

I did read the book. The comparison isn't entirely flattering—the narrator comes off as peevish, although I suppose I am too—but I can see the resemblance, and not just because I see four movies a week at the theater. I was struck by how many names the book tosses off that I've mentioned in conversation just in the last week: Rupert Brooke, Dick Powell, Audie Murphy. All it would really need would be some contemporary ballplayers. I won't be thirty for another month and I have religion and I don't like girls, but those are all sort of small differences. Already I can feel my own internal monologue working in the staccato rhythms of the book. I liked it a great deal.

I hope you didn't find the comparison offensive -- I certainly wouldn't characterize you as peevish! I was struck by how Binx and you both have sort of a specific, analytical, and sociogeographically minded way of looking at things.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 10:35:30 PM »

Going through Agatha Christie's best known sleuth

Which one are you reading now? I'm a big time Christie enjoyer so curious to hear your thoughts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies