What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:33:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)  (Read 45380 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: August 07, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »

Nothing. My last book was What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver. The eponymous story was really moving to me.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »

Nothing. My last book was What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver. The eponymous story was really moving to me.

Back in one of my creative writing classes in college, we read Nathan Englander's story based on this, "What We Talk About When We Talk about Anne Frank," which focuses on the two couples' different views of what it means to be Jewish. Then we each wrote stories using the same basic structures as both of these stories and incorporating a famous historical figure in some way (I chose President Truman).

It was a pretty interesting experiment.

It definitely sounds so. Although to be fair love as a concept is what really stokes my emotions so I am not sure if I would find as appealing to read about the meaning of President Truman or of Judaism.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:47:26 PM »

It definitely sounds so. Although to be fair love as a concept is what really stokes my emotions so I am not sure if I would find as appealing to read about the meaning of President Truman or of Judaism.

Haha I should've clarified; I included Harry Truman in my story, but it was actually about Japanese characters reflecting on the atomic bombing of Nagasaki 70 years later.

Ah I understand. Indeed, the meaning of Harry Truman would have been a pretty weird topic.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

You seen Birdman?

Of course. Actually, I got to know that book only because I watched Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance).
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 06:40:16 AM »

I am currently reading The Old Man and the Sea. Actually once I started a scrappy copy in English I had found in some dark corner of my school, but I never finished. Now I am reading it in Italian.
There is a passage where the main characters dine with rice, beans, fried plantains and stew which I found pretty funny because it's exactly what I ate at a Cuban restaurant in St. Augustine while on vacation this February.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 02:56:20 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2020, 06:38:40 AM by Лучше красный, чем мёртвый »

Protestantism and Patriotism: Ideologies and the Making of English Foreign Policy, 1650-1668 by Steven Pincus.

Lol this is peak HenryWallaceVP.

How many negative references to popery does the book contain? I'm assuming many.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »

Anybody here like Sherlock Holmes? I've been trying to get better at reading fiction for fun (I usually only read non-fiction), and Doyle's short stories are a nice way to ease back into the genre. I bought a massive hardcover Holmes collection for only $5 at a used bookstore and I'm going to read a story every night before bed.

I do (or did) but I haven't read a Sherlock Holmes story in years. I remember reading A Study in Scarlet, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and various short stories. But I think the only crime stories I have read anytime recently are Leonardo Sciascia books.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »

I recently read Fratelli Tutti, Pope Francis's latest encyclical, if that counts.

I think I will start Ernest Hemingway's Forty-Nine Short Stories soon. I haven't read something as long as that in a while.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 10:05:22 AM »

I recently read Fratelli Tutti, Pope Francis's latest encyclical, if that counts.

I think I will start Ernest Hemingway's Forty-Nine Short Stories soon. I haven't read something as long as that in a while.

A couple days ago I managed to finish Hemingway's book. As you can tell I have trouble finding occasions to read books, I often read slowly (except for when I read really fast), and a collection of stories not in my mother tongue probably exacerbates that. The one set in my hometown is harsh but understandable given it is meant as a critique of the Fascist regime. The Nick Adams cycle is also very fascinating.

I feel at a complete loss as to what I might read next, perhaps because I have so many to choose from.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 05:10:18 PM »

I have started reading a novel by Italian historian Alessandro Barbero called Alabama. The book is about an extremely old poor white Confederate veteran who is interviewed by a history college student and recounts his war experience.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 08:02:10 AM »

I have started reading a novel by Italian historian Alessandro Barbero called Alabama. The book is about an extremely old poor white Confederate veteran who is interviewed by a history college student and recounts his war experience.

Finally finished this. It was a fascinating read, which paints a very effective picture of the brutal world these people inhabited, interspersed by the visceral emotions the college girl (who seems to be torn between Southern roots and her current Northern milieu) variably feels.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 01:02:18 PM »

I just finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or in other words, the answer is forty-two.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 09:29:50 AM »

I just finished Metallica and Philosophy: A Crash Course in Brain Surgery, a book part of a series edited by William Irwin (not the comedian) that explores serious philosophy through pop culture, in this case Metallica songs. Quite the wild ride.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies