What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:31:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)  (Read 45651 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: February 24, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »

Wings of the Dove - Henry James.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 10:41:41 PM »

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor. Not a bad novel at all. Basically about a person who tries to reject Christianity, was my interpretation. It was a little too dour and depressing for my tastes. There is not one character in there who is not utterly pathetic. Then again, maybe that is the point. A good example of how one does not have to agree with an author's politics to appreciate her work.

The General's Daughter by Nelson DeMille. I remember seeing the 1999 movie as a kid, but the novel is far better. I love these detective procedurals- even though this one rather unrealistically occurs through a series of interviews, it is like layers of an onion peeling away.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 11:36:20 PM »

Now I am reading Lolita because I heard the prose was amazing. I was expecting something controversial, but I wasn't expecting what a terrible person the narrator is. This narrator has to be one of the worst people of all time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »

Has anyone here read the Amie Parnes book about the Biden campaign yet? I'm trying to decide whether to order it from Amazon or to wait until it appears in one of the Free Library boxes around my town.

I didn't read it but I searched through it to find answers to some specific questions that involved key, pivotal events in the campaign (such as: why did Biden pick Harris?). Didn't find any answers. For such a long book, they have a remarkable ability to write anecdote after anecdote that seems juicy without actually saying anything. Just repeating conventional wisdom. It seems as if a committee of all the insiders and players in the campaign came together and approved the most sterile narrative possible, leaking out just enough detail to make you feel like you're in on the secret, as long as those details are relatively minor and insignificant. Which, given that the authors need to maintain access to their subjects, is not that surprising.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 06:50:28 AM »

Great little book. Reminded me of Watership Down.

As for me, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Masterful! One of the very greatest American classics.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 01:49:44 PM »

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies