What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:55:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)  (Read 43281 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: December 22, 2022, 12:26:58 PM »

The Last Shadow by Orson Scott Card. The last in both the Shadow and the Ender series.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #451 on: December 26, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »

"Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. Reading it with a critical eye due to Chernow's tendency to write hagiographies.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #452 on: December 27, 2022, 11:44:32 AM »

Just finished The Town by Conrad Richter.  I can see why it won the Pulitzer Prize for literature.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #453 on: December 29, 2022, 03:55:51 PM »

Soon enough I plan to begin reading Agnes Grey. I've already read books by the other two Bronte sisters, Charlotte (Jane Eyre, which I read for school and concluded about a month back) and Emily (Wuthering Heights, which I read during the summer after seeing it referenced on a standardised test for English).

Also, while not exactly a "book," I've revisited the "Tintin" series by Herge. I've read all 23 (I don't count that very last one), and had about half of them at home, but figured I wanted to a.) reread some of them and b.) complete the home collection. I got four of the books as my Christmas presents (Tintin and the Picaros, Flight 714 to Sydney, The Seven Crystal Balls, and Prisoners of the Sun). I've reread two of them (the first two named) since then.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #454 on: December 30, 2022, 03:14:21 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 07:31:31 PM by the Laramide Erogeny ⛰ (he/him) »

Books read (completed) in 2022. As usual, asterisks for books I particularly enjoyed

Robin Wall Kimmerer - Gathering Moss
Neil Postman - Technopoly
Amia Srinivasan - The Right to Sex (*)
Joan Didion - South and West
Lauren Hough - Leaving Isn't the Hardest Thing (*)
Derek DelGaudio - AMORALMAN
Lawrence Wright - The Plague Year
Oprah Winfrey and Bruce Perry - What Happened to You?
Lindsay Gibson - Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents
Rosa Brooks - Tangled Up in Blue (*)
Danielle Geller - Dog Flowers (*)
William Cronon - Changes in the Land
Jay Caspian Kang - The Loneliest Americans (*)
Vanessa Springora - Consent
Dee Brown - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (*)
Chuck Klosterman - The Nineties (*)
Sarah Smarsh - Heartland
Ian Frazier - Great Plains
Ted Conover - Cheap Land Colorado

Books I made good progress in and hope to finish next year (or some time)

David Treuer - Rez Life
Alec MacGillis - Fulfillment
Rob Dunn - A Natural History of the Future
Robin Kimmerer - Braiding Sweetgrass
Lawrence Wright - God Save Texas
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #455 on: December 30, 2022, 07:47:00 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 08:10:45 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

I read this late last year and found that it was exactly what I expected, which is to say that I liked it. At least in the e-book version I got from the library, the book had a preface that was written in December 2016 and it was painfully obvious that it was written in late 2016. I'm really glad that I was taking a very long break from the forum then so I don't have to see anything I wrote at that time.

I've had many people recommend this to me, so I don't really have any excuse not to have read it.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #456 on: December 31, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »

I read this late last year and found that it was exactly what I expected, which is to say that I liked it. At least in the e-book version I got from the library, the book had a preface that was written in December 2016 and it was painfully obvious that it was written in late 2016. I'm really glad that I was taking a very long break from the forum then so I don't have to see anything I wrote at that time.

I think my version (also an e-book, borrowed from my local library) also had this forward. I'm sure I read it but evidently forgot entirely about it. Such things are so commonplace now ("these are places where people like and vote for Donald Trump" appeared in maybe a quarter of books I read this year and of course is part of "God Save Texas" which I'm halfway through right now) that they seem obligatory and all somewhat blend together. I read South and West probably in February so I don't remember very many specifics but I actually don't remember race/racism playing an outsized role.

I've had many people recommend this to me, so I don't really have any excuse not to have read it.

The main reason I didn't enjoy it more was because it was about one of the areas of the countries that I'm least familiar with. But otherwise, yes, it seems like a quite special book both in and of itself and also in its novelty. A kind of cult classic; I've since seen it on at least one person's office bookshelf and stumbled upon another person reading it in my favorite local coffee shop. Ecology, colonial history, physical geography, and economics all tied together into one. Not sure of any other books quite like it.

I finished it on vacation and left my copy on a bookshelf in a coffee shop in Montrose, Colorado. I hope someone out there found and enjoyed it.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #457 on: December 31, 2022, 05:10:18 PM »

I have started reading a novel by Italian historian Alessandro Barbero called Alabama. The book is about an extremely old poor white Confederate veteran who is interviewed by a history college student and recounts his war experience.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #458 on: December 31, 2022, 06:26:07 PM »

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2023, 07:21:29 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2023, 07:25:23 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

Books that I finished in the last year:

'Bandit Country': The IRA and South Armagh by Toby Harnden
An Area of Darkness by V. S. Naipaul
Sikh Identity: An Exploration of Groups among Sikhs by Opinderjit Kaur Takhar
Imperial China, 900–1800 by F. W. Mote
Mao's Last Revolution by Roderick MacFarquhar and Michael Schoenhals
Inventing Australia: Images and Identity, 1688–1980 by Richard White
The Comanche Empire by Pekka Hämäläinen
Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion by Jia Tolentino
The Morning After: The 1995 Quebec Referendum and the Day that Almost Was by Chantal Hébert
Island at the End of the World: The Turbulent History of Easter Island by Steven Roger Fischer
Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar and the Future of the International Monetary System by Barry Eichengreen
Revolutionaries by Eric Hobsbawm
The Impact of Labour, 1920–1924: The Beginning of Modern British Politics by Maurice Cowling
The Official Preppy Handbook by Lisa Birnbach
The Lives of the Great Composers by Harold C. Schonberg
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

Books I'm currently in the process of reading and hope to finish:

Christianizing the Roman Empire: A.D. 100–400 by Ramsay MacMullen
The Hebrew Bible: A Translation with Commentary by Robert Alter
Framing the Early Middle Ages: Europe and the Mediterranean, 400–800 by Chris Wickham
Empires, Nations & Families: A New History of the North American West, 1800–1860 by Anne F. Hyde
Under the Black Flag: The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly
Five Seasons: A Baseball Companion by Roger Angell
Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919–1939 by Barry Eichengreen
Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature by Erich Auerbach
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #460 on: January 03, 2023, 01:20:29 PM »

The Struggle for Mastery in Europe 1848–1918 - Historiographically a bit dated, but quite well researched.

The Struggle for Mastery in Europe 1848–1918 - Historiographically a bit dated, but quite well researched.

I really want to read that one but I haven't found an ebook version yet.

I'm currently finishing "What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848" and "The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648–1815".

Beautiful books, both of them.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2023, 12:27:22 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2023, 12:30:53 PM by HillGoose »

The House of Rothschild: Money's Prophets - 1798-1848 by Niall Ferguson, very solid economic history read, highly recommend.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #462 on: January 26, 2023, 12:15:51 AM »

Let's see...It's been a while since I posted here...

Currently reading Lord of the Flies for English honours. On Chapter 8. Plan is to finish by the 30th of this month (the teacher's making us read a chapter a day).
Also well on my way in Agnes Grey.
And lastly, I started reading Steven Brill's America's Bitter Pill, about Obamacare and healthcare politics more generally. Sadly, I doubt I'm going to get too far with this book, since I checked it out like a month ago and am still only on chapter two. It's quite thick, at 455 pages, and I am still on page 20.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #463 on: January 27, 2023, 02:22:00 AM »

Just finished (in Japanese) the most recent Otherside Picnic novel by Iori Miyazawa--the series is shockingly good for the "kind" of literature that it is, a bit like some of the better Ace Doubles if they had come out of Akihabara otaku culture rather than midcentury dime-novel hackistan--and just started The Netanyahus: An Account of a Minor and Ultimately Even Negligible Episode in the History of a Very Famous Family by Joshua Cohen, which I'm also really liking so far.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2023, 10:36:36 PM »

Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. Recommend it.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #465 on: January 27, 2023, 11:38:59 PM »

I'm currently about halfway through What The Elders Have Taught Us: Alaska Native Ways, a collection of essays written by members of ten different Alaska Native peoples. After that, I'll be reading The Raven and the Totem: Alaska Native Myths and Legends.

I'm considering rewriting an old novel I wrote about Alaska for Camp Nanowrimo this year, so I've been trying to do a lot of research about Alaska Natives since my protagonist is an Upper Tanana Athabascan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2023, 02:30:08 AM »

Finished Roadside Picnic before I left the country. On the buses I've been reading The Russia House by LeCarre (fun!) and rereading the first half of the New Sun cycle. I have other books in my bag--too many, in all likelihood--including Metro 2033.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2023, 11:44:56 AM »

Just finished Streams of gold, rivers of blood : The Rise and Fall of Byzantium, 955 A.D. to the First Crusade by Anthony Kaldellis. Interesting take on the collapse of the Byzantine state between 1025 and 1081. The author rejects the consensus about the feudalization of the Byzantine state, and instead blames the collapse much more fully on external factors, and the ever present succession crises in the Roman Empire. He also provides some insight into Roussel de Bailleul, who established a short lived Norman rump state in northern Anatolia which Kaldellis argues helped to break Byzantine power on the peninsula.

Would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in the period, and it's a concise work on an understudied period.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #468 on: January 30, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »

I really want to read that one but I haven't found an ebook version yet.

I'm currently finishing "What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848" and "The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648–1815".

Beautiful books, both of them.

It was enjoyable. I was lucky enough to live near a library that had it. I will say it focuses on the statesmen alone perhaps a bit much compared to the other economic, political and military considerations that drove them, and unfortunately engages in the old dismissal of the Habsburg Monarchy as sclerotic and falling apart for the entire 19th century, but it is still a good read.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #469 on: February 02, 2023, 06:08:24 PM »

Finishing up Crossroads of Twilight
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #470 on: February 03, 2023, 11:45:29 AM »

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, I'm 320 pages in!
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #471 on: February 04, 2023, 12:33:10 AM »

Human Action - Mises (my yearly read of it)
Woke Racism: John McWhorter
The Panic of 1819 - Murray Rothbard
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2023, 02:05:37 PM »

Finished Roadside Picnic before I left the country. On the buses I've been reading The Russia House by LeCarre (fun!) and rereading the first half of the New Sun cycle. I have other books in my bag--too many, in all likelihood--including Metro 2033.

Finished The Russia House. Wonderful love story.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #473 on: February 18, 2023, 11:14:14 AM »

Almost done with The Eyes of Darkness; my first Dean Koontz book.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2023, 04:40:20 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to: