What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:44:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)  (Read 44829 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »

Wings of the Dove - Henry James.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 05:17:28 PM »

Heinrich Mann's Young Henry of Navarre.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »

April Daniels - Dreadnought (Nemesis #1, 2017)

This woman is a genius.
Finally got into the part of this book I didn't read two years ago because Google wouldn't let me and holy sh**t I am fuming for reasons I won't explain here out of respect for those who may want to read this book.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »

April Daniels - Dreadnought (Nemesis #1, 2017)

This woman is a genius.
Finally got into the part of this book I didn't read two years ago because Google wouldn't let me and holy sh**t I am fuming for reasons I won't explain here out of respect for those who may want to read this book.
Finished the book today and the ending was brilliant. As I said earlier, April Daniels is a genius.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »

April Daniels - Sovereign (Nemesis #2, 2017)

Going through this book way faster than I am the first, probably because I'm going in about as blind as I can, as opposed to having eighteen-and-a-half chapters' worth of foreknowledge like I did with Dreadnought.
diptheriadan

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 11:02:54 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2020, 08:08:56 PM by diptheriadan »

Now onto Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. Hopefully my brain doesn't short-circuit trying to read Scots.

Done. The Scots was easier as time passed, and the use of dialect was actually rather useful for identifying characters if it wasn't explicitly said (and there are more than a few occasions where it isn't).

I don't want to spoil too much of the book, but the drug addiction aspect of it is really secondary. If it is anything, its a set of tales about a f**ked up circle of friends in Leith, and it's quite enlightening in regards to how people like them think. It's quite a bit to chew on, and I'm gonna go do so for a few days.

Here's the link for the book on Internet Archive.
diptheriadan

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 11:07:01 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2020, 03:09:00 AM by diptheriadan »

Now to work my way through the ~8 unread books I have sitting on my bookshelf. Think I'm gonna do The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris.

EDIT: Actually, nope. I think I'm just gonna read a few more of Welsh's works. Teddy can wait.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 05:43:50 PM »

April Daniels - Sovereign (Nemesis #2, 2017)

Going through this book way faster than I am the first, probably because I'm going in about as blind as I can, as opposed to having eighteen-and-a-half chapters' worth of foreknowledge like I did with Dreadnought.
Finished on Tuesday, and the fact remains that this woman is a genius. So psyched for Nemesis 3.
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

diptheriadan

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2020, 12:29:04 AM by diptheriadan »

I'm finishing up Welsh's Glue. Good sh!t man. Good sh!t.

EDIT: Finished. I read this on the Internet Archive, but I think i'm gonna stop here. My poor eyes can't take it no more. So, Teddy's turn is up.

EDIT 2: Nope. Gonna be listening to Audible's free audiobooks for the next few months. Now reading Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights
1978 New Wave skinny trousers
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »

The Mirror and the Light, the third installment of the Cromwell trilogy by Hilary Mantel that was just released earlier this month.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 06:36:08 AM »

After a long period of working my way through Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books and distinctly middle brow detective novels, I have now got in to Zola’s Germinal and Une histoire populaire de la France by Gérard Noiriel (A people’s history of France), which, rather unusually for a French academic, is actually quite readable
diptheriadan

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2020, 12:29:56 AM »

Hey, Audible's got a bunch of audiobooks free for the pandemic.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2020, 05:21:45 AM »

None, I'm writing one.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 10:15:35 PM »

Male Fantasies by Theweleit Klaus. Basically a psychoanalysis or the Freikorps. The juxtaposition of the images and quotations to create a narrative of the male fantasy of war, structure, and perverse unity is something that is timeless considering how much this imagery is present in what imagery and rhetoric is present on /pol/, Stormfront, and even those posters on Atlas. A long read, but timeless given what we are now going through.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 01:44:33 AM »

The Death of the West by Patrick J. Buchanan.
diptheriadan

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 04:14:27 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2020, 04:22:55 AM by diptheriadan »

Finished Wuthering Heights. Fantastic novel. A part of me really hopes that some screenwriter here in the states will adapt it for the screen.

A note to any prospective reader: Don't let yourself get bogged down in its lack of realism; its necessary for the story for it to be like that. This is one of those novels that you have to let yourself be sucked into. I would advise memorizing the family tree though, just to remove any confusion. Several names are recycled.

Now reading C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.

EDIT: And by 'lack of realism', I mean that the world that exists in Wuthering Heights is almost completely different from our own. Normal people in our world do not behave like normal people in this novel. Relationships rarely work like they do in this novel. All of this helps create a general sort of mood in the novel, which is pretty similar with most Gothic Fiction.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2020, 01:46:57 AM »

EDIT: And by 'lack of realism', I mean that the world that exists in Wuthering Heights is almost completely different from our own. Normal people in our world do not behave like normal people in this novel. Relationships rarely work like they do in this novel. All of this helps create a general sort of mood in the novel, which is pretty similar with most Gothic Fiction.

Quote from: Dante Gabriel Rossetti on Wuthering Heights
But it is a fiend of a book — an incredible monster, combining all the stronger female tendencies from Mrs. Browning to Mrs. Brownrigg. The action is laid in hell, — only it seems places and people have English names there.

(For the record, I love it too.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »

I've just started reading The Leopard; rather surprisingly I've not actually read it before. That's pleasure. For work, well, an awful lot of things. Though reading them is quite pleasurable as well.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 05:02:21 PM »

The lockdown enabled be to start a Philip K. Dick re-reading marathon. I'm through with Time Out of Joint and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch now and I have begun Martian Time-Slip this evening.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »

The lockdown enabled be to start a Philip K. Dick re-reading marathon. I'm through with Time Out of Joint and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch now and I have begun Martian Time-Slip this evening.

Started on Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said now, PKD's dystopian Watergate-era fantasy.
diptheriadan

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:20 PM »

Finishing up White Fang and I swear to god this is the cutest sh!t i've ever read.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »

About to start The Big Sleep.

Finishing up White Fang and I swear to god this is the cutest sh!t i've ever read.

Speaking of schoolroom standbys, I'm also reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" books. It's an...interesting series. The books are deeply racist and written in the service of a political project that's glaringly obvious as an adult reader, but you can also see why generations of children and parents have found them so endearing.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 05:10:45 PM by Old Europe »

Started on Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said now, PKD's dystopian Watergate-era fantasy.

Finished A Maze of Death, started on A Scanner Darkly.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »

Work (and Talking about Elections™️) is making my progress very slow but I'm a little less than half way through Daniel Markovits's "The Meritocracy Trap"

Really outstanding and (for my level) novel book. Highly recommend that anybody with a professional degree read this book or at least familiarize him/herself with the arguments therein.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »

I'm currently reading through the first omnibus of Gaunt's Ghosts by Dan Abnett. It's essentially the first trilogy combined into one and consisting of First and Only, Ghostmaker and Necropolis. They're genuinely enthralling books and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in science fiction. I would advise doing some background research into Warhammer 40,000 before you start, or you might be a little lost. Or you could do it as you go, either works.

Not that long ago, I finished The Volunteer by Jack Fairweather. An amazing book about an even more amazing story that most people would assume would be straight fiction if it came out of a movie. While it is about hope and resistance in the face ob tyranny, it also has an incredibly tragic ending. Who's the hero? None other than the legendary Pole, Witold Pilecki.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies