What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:33:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading? (2.0.)  (Read 43306 times)
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »

Currently reading Wolf Nation: The Life, Death, and Return of Wild American Wolves by Brenda Peterson. Just finished the chapter about 06, one of the most famous wolves descended from the original wolves released in Yellowstone in 1995.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2021, 01:04:49 AM »

A copy of You Nakai's Reminded by the Instruments: David Tudor's Music has been sitting on my desk largely undisturbed for two weeks now. I've been meaning to read it for ages, since Tudor is one of my favorite composers and a major influence on my own work, but thus far I've only had the patience to leaf through it a bit and peruse some of the scores and diagrams. A professor in my department asked me if I'd had a look at it last week, after I'd made reference to some of Tudor's work in a presentation that I gave at the department seminar; he said that he'd ordered a copy when it just came out that's still in limbo.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2021, 05:00:36 AM »

Papillon by Henri Charrière.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »

I'm starting The Rise and Fall of the Victorian City by Tristram Hunt.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »

Just finished Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh, and I'm revisiting Burke's Reflections
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2021, 03:39:55 PM »

Just finished Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh, and I'm revisiting Burke's Reflections

I absolutely love Decline and Fall. Incredibly funny. Depending on the day you ask me, I might just say it’s my favourite Waugh novel.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »

I absolutely love Decline and Fall. Incredibly funny. Depending on the day you ask me, I might just say it’s my favourite Waugh novel.

It's an excellent book. I annoyed everyone I live with by incessantly reading it aloud to them. I certainly plan on reading more Waugh in the future.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »

It's an excellent book. I annoyed everyone I live with by incessantly reading it aloud to them. I certainly plan on reading more Waugh in the future.

It was actually the first one I read by him, having been gifted it by my mother for my birthday, so I have a sentimental attachment to it that probably even further heightens my estimatation of it. Anyway, when you do return to Waugh, I’d highly recommend Scoop if you’re looking for more of his comic genius. Or you could always get stuck right into Brideshead Revisited!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2021, 08:47:04 PM »

It was actually the first one I read by him, having been gifted it by my mother for my birthday, so I have a sentimental attachment to it that probably even further heightens my estimatation of it. Anyway, when you do return to Waugh, I’d highly recommend Scoop if you’re looking for more of his comic genius. Or you could always get stuck right into Brideshead Revisited!

Both absolutely fantastic novels. The great thing about Scoop is that when Waugh wrote it he probably took some of the racist attitudes it expresses as unironic givens, but it's written in such a sly, both amusing and amused style that it works just as well as a satire on those attitudes today.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »

Forward - Andrew Yang
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »

Le Pouvoir et La Vie, by Valéry Giscard d'Éstaing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2021, 01:51:50 AM »

I'm rereading The Lord of the Rings, but this time I'm reading it in Japanese (Yubiwa monogatari). I've never attempted to read something so long in Japanese before, even when I was majoring in the language, and I figured a story that I'm already intimately familiar with would be a good place to start, especially since this way I get the fun of seeing what makes the translation tick. It's going well so far.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2021, 01:54:24 AM »

I'm rereading The Lord of the Rings, but this time I'm reading it in Japanese (Yubiwa monogatari). I've never attempted to read something so long in Japanese before, even when I was majoring in the language, and I figured a story that I'm already intimately familiar with would be a good place to start, especially since this way I get the fun of seeing what makes the translation tick. It's going well so far.
Do your best!
My Japanese journey has been quite fun so far, I only wish the same for you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2021, 08:00:36 PM »

This summer I was tempted by a Russian language copy of "The Two Towers" at a Russian bookstore in SF, but knew my limits/lacked the courage.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2021, 11:11:26 AM »

I always like the fact that C. S. Lewis thought so highly of the LoTR when Tolkien famously criticized Narnia.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2021, 06:33:58 PM »

Currently reading The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, about a family who moves from Washington to Alaska in the 1970s after the dad inherits a cabin from a friend he served with in Vietnam. Not a big fan of the style or the slow pace so far, though.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2021, 08:36:30 PM »

Just ordered Submission by Michel Houellebecq, which a friend has strongly recommended to me.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2021, 12:22:06 AM »

Just ordered Submission by Michel Houellebecq, which a friend has strongly recommended to me.

Good grief.

Well, tell us what you think, I guess.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2021, 01:58:26 AM »

My impression is that Houellebecq believes in the Great Replacement but has no strong position about whether it's a bad thing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »

My impression is that Houellebecq believes in the Great Replacement but has no strong position about whether it's a bad thing.

That's his stance on opebo-style sexpat subcultures too, and would probably be his stance on QAnon if he were American. If that weren't the case then it might actually be based-adjacent as a Great Replacement take, but alas.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2021, 05:08:15 PM »

The Art of War
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2021, 11:05:11 PM »

He actually seems to portray it as a positive in many ways compared to the terminal decline of secular-Christian Europe
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2021, 10:39:19 PM »

The True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics by Christopher Lasch, which has been interesting thus far, though I have only recently had time to really sit down and read it at any length.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »

Books finished in 2021. Asterisk indicates a book I especially enjoyed.

Audio:

Emily Ratajkowski - My Body (*)
Rick Perlstein - Reaganland (*)
Jessica Bruder - Nomadland (*)
Michael Bender - Frankly We Did Win This Election
Charles Mann - 1493
Grace Olmstead - Uprooted
Anton Treuer - Everything You Wanted to Know about Indians but Were Afraid to Ask
Rick Atkinson - The British are Coming
Anne Case and Angus Deaton - Deaths of Despair and the Future of Capitalism
Bakari Sellers - My Vanishing Country
Matthew Desmond - Evicted (*)
Charles Mann - 1491 (*)
Isabel Allende - The Soul of a Woman
Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs, and Steel (*)
Jonathan Cohn - The Ten Year War
Les and Tamara Payne - The Dead Are Arising (*)
Michael Sandel - The Tyranny of Merit
Lulu Miller - Why Fish Don't Exist
Roxane Dunbar-Ortiz - An Indigenous People's History of the United States
Richard Rothstein - The Color of Law (*)
Isabel Wilkerson - Caste
Jane Mayer - Dark Money
Lawrence Wright - The Looming Tower (*)
James Baldwin - The Fire This Time (*)

Paperback:

Dan Flores - Horizontal Yellow (*)
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood

Also in progress with the following e-books when I have the time energy and interest (difficult these days)

David Fischer - Albion's Seed (*)
Robert Putnam - Bowling Alone
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2021, 10:44:38 PM »

Books I read in 2021:

Spirit Run by Noé Álvarez (nonfiction)
Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign by Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes (nonfiction)
Lucky: How Joe Biden Barely Won the Presidency by Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes (nonfiction)
Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn (fiction)
Fealty by Ricky Ray (poetry)
The Soul of the Earth Singing to Herself by Ricky Ray (poetry)
Quiet, Grit, Glory by Ricky Ray (poetry)
The Return of the Mexican Gray Wolf: Back to the Blue by Bobbie Holaday (nonfiction)
Frankly, We Won This Election: The Inside Story of How Trump Lost by Michael Bender (nonfiction)
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (fiction)
This is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakauwila (fiction)
Wolf Nation: The Life, Death, and Return of Wild American Wolves by Brenda Peterson (nonfiction)
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (fiction)

This is probably the first year in a long while that I read more nonfiction than fiction, probably due to the campaign books I read this year. Not a surprise that The Return of the Mexican Gray Wolf and Wolf Nation were my favorite nonfiction reads this year, while This is Paradise, a short story collection about Hawai'i, was my favorite fiction work.

I'm looking to start/spend a good part of new year with Dream of the Red Chamber once I'm able to find a full English translation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies