The 1974 Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:35:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  The 1974 Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If there had been a Presidential election in 1974, who would have won?
Gerald Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: The 1974 Presidential Election  (Read 10259 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2006, 03:40:17 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2006, 03:50:33 PM by John Ford »

We are in bizarro world.  Presidential elections still happen every four years, but the cycle is moved up two years starting in 1974.  In 1974 Gerald Ford faces Jimmy Carter in the midst of Watergate with Nixon term limited and under investigation, but still in office as the campaign begins.

How does Watergate figure into the election?  Does Nixon still resign in August of '74?  Does Ronald Reagan overtake Ford in the Republican Primaries?  Who wins the general?

This is the first in a series.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »

Interesting.  I suppose one would have to start with an election in 1790 and continue until the present day.  Otherwise its impossible for us to know who won or what history is like.  I suppose that Roosevelt runs in 1930 a year after the Great Depression and defeats Hoover more narrowly, his period in office is now 1931-45; Truman doesn't have enough time and loses to Dewey in a great year for the Republicans.  From then on?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 03:51:35 PM »

Interesting.  I suppose one would have to start with an election in 1790 and continue until the present day.  Otherwise its impossible for us to know who won or what history is like.  I suppose that Roosevelt runs in 1930 a year after the Great Depression and defeats Hoover more narrowly, his period in office is now 1931-45; Truman doesn't have enough time and loses to Dewey in a great year for the Republicans.  From then on?

No, just the 1974 election is moved up two years.  Everything else is the same.

As you said, it would be too open ended to have this start in 1790.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 04:00:41 PM »

Nixon's resignation is even more fresh in the mind than it was in 1976, we would probably see a bigger Carter victory. If elections were held every 4 years afterwards...

1978- Carter v Reagan - Carter wins (No Iran)
1982- Mondale v Bush - Bush wins (and is more centrist than he was under Bush)
1986- Bush v ? - This would be interesting, would the Contra scandal have taken place and surfaced?

EDIT: Just seen other polls posted relating to future elections!
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 08:07:42 AM »

No, just the 1974 election is moved up two years.  Everything else is the same.

There are several theories as to how this could have happened. These have come about as a result of the famous timeshift in The West Wing which sees Josiah Bartlet first elected in 1998 and re-elected in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_skew_theories_for_The_West_Wing
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies