2000:Gore/Bayh vs Bush/Cheney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:19:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000:Gore/Bayh vs Bush/Cheney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000:Gore/Bayh vs Bush/Cheney  (Read 636 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:00:35 AM »

Instead of choosing Joe Lieberman, Gore chooses Indiana Senator Evan Bayh as his running mate. Bush still selects Dick Cheney as his running mate. Who wins discuss with maps.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »

No change.

Bayh depresses the Democratic base with his support of partial birth abortion.

"Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh, another potential running mate, supports abortion rights and is not damaged in Gore’s eyes by opposition from some women’s activists, who objected to Bayh’s support for a ban on what is known as partial-birth abortion."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=123401&page=1
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »

Gore wins MO and maybe keeps TN and even AR. In part because of Bayh’s more moderate social stances. Being a moderate Dem from the Midwest would definitely help in MO I think, how could anyone seriously think otherwise? Hell even OH may be on the table.

FL, not so sure about, but it wouldn’t matter in this case.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:26:20 PM »

Gore wins MO and maybe keeps TN and even AR. In part because of Bayh’s more moderate social stances. Being a moderate Dem from the Midwest would definitely help in MO I think, how could anyone seriously think otherwise? Hell even OH may be on the table.

Won't Bayh's abortion stance depress the base?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »

In 2000, opposition to “partial birth” abortion was hardly disqualifying for a Democrat. I doubt it even would be now. Gore himself was known for more socially conservative stances than that in 1992. Any slight drop in base enthusiasm it may cause I think would be more than outweighed by greater appeal to swing voters in the midwest and South.

Note that the article you cited mentions Gore wasn’t worried about it, and hell Obama even considered Bayh in 2008.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:32:15 PM »

In 2000, opposition to “partial birth” abortion was hardly disqualifying for a Democrat. I doubt it even would be now. Gore himself was known for more socially conservative stances than that in 1992. Any slight drop in base enthusiasm it may cause I think would be more than outweighed by greater appeal to swing voters in the midwest and South.

Note that the article you cited mentions Gore wasn’t worried about it, and hell Obama even considered Bayh in 2008.

Would Democrats be upset if Bayh didn't torch Cheney in Danville?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 09:34:03 PM »

Would Democrats be upset if Bayh didn't torch Cheney in Danville?

I don’t see why he would hold back on him. But realistically, has a VP debate ever really mattered? Plus Cheney was not yet widely loathed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies