Ask Old School Republican Anything
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:27:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Old School Republican Anything
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Ask Old School Republican Anything  (Read 1805 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »

Do you listen to Christina Aguilera?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »

no
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2019, 01:36:42 AM »

Does the health care system in the United States need:

-Major changes
-Minor changes
-No changes at all

[Choose one of the above three options.]
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2019, 03:13:07 AM »

Does the health care system in the United States need:

-Major changes
-Minor changes
-No changes at all

[Choose one of the above three options.]

Depends on how you define major or minor so Ill give you a basic outline what I think that should be done:

- Transition to a preventative based system by only allowing Medicaid to be used for insurance companies with good record on preventative care

- Having the government cover catastrophic care with insurance companies who have a good track record on preventive care

- Temporary Price Controls on Prescription Drugs, and all them to be imported from Canada

- Opening up state lines

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2019, 03:32:15 AM »

How would you have voted in the 1840 Presidential election?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2019, 03:40:39 AM »

How would you have voted in the 1840 Presidential election?

Harrison
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2019, 04:12:40 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2019, 04:21:07 AM by darklordoftech »

What do you think of the idea that George Lucas intended the Sith to have been following the Rule of Two since shortly after their founding, with Darth Bane being one of the founding members of the Sith and with the Jedi battling Rule of Two-following Sith for thousands of years before the Sith seemingly went “extinct”?

Around the time TPM was released, Lucas said, "One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith Lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the dark side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, become the master, and so on. But there could never be any more than two of them, because if there were, they would try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies."
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2019, 04:15:25 AM »

Do you think that expanding the US House beyond 435 is a good idea?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »

What do you think of the idea that George Lucas intended the Sith to have been following the Rule of Two since shortly after their founding, with Darth Bane being one of the founding members of the Sith and with the Jedi battling Rule of Two-following Sith for thousands of years before the Sith seemingly went “extinct”?

Around the time TPM was released, Lucas said, "One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith Lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the dark side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, become the master, and so on. But there could never be any more than two of them, because if there were, they would try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies."

Well the Rule of Two was proven to be the most successful era of Sith so I would say it worked better than the old order of training thousands of Sith. The rule of two guarnteed the Sith would get stronger from generation to generation which is why they succeeded and the prior era didn’t .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »

Do you think that expanding the US House beyond 435 is a good idea?

Yes I would say to around 600
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »

Have you always had your current political perspective?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »

Who did you vote for in the 2016 primary/general?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »

I have always been pretty Conservative but my views have changed over time. If you go back and look at some of my posts here from 2015 and 2016 I would propose things like immediately cutting spending by 25% across the board while now I would not support that as the effects of making such a large cut would be disastrous. I also used to oppose Obamacare then because I viewed government involvement as terrible but I then personally saw how it helped reduce costs and guarantee people with preexisting condtions while before all i saw was government mandate = bad and big goverment = bad.

I also used to be a super supporter of free trade including with China but after doing more reasearch on how the Chinese Goverment does trade and reading books about it in my globalization class I began to change my mind on those issues and now I am supporative of the trade war against China.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »

Who did you vote for in the 2016 primary/general?

I wasnt a citizen then,  so I wasnt eligible to vote(I became a citizen after the election) .

Anyway if I was eligible to vote, it would have been this:  by the time of the Oregon Primary , Trump was already the presumptive nominee  but Kasich was still on the ballot so I would have voted for him. In The General, I would have voted for Gary Johnson (Since Evan McMullin wasnt on the OR ballot) .

McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »

Is there anything special that makes you an Old School Republican?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »

The reason I chose that name is:

1. Pre Trump Republicans such as Kasich and Romney are now considered Old School Republicans

2. I am pretty moderate on issues such as Healthcare etc which Old School Republicans were

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »

1. Pre Trump Republicans such as Kasich and Romney are now considered Old School Republicans

2. I am pretty moderate on issues such as Healthcare etc which Old School Republicans were

Based on what you were saying you agreed and disagreed with about my amendment proposal I thought your title meant you were a Rockefeller Republican.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »

Based on what you were saying you agreed and disagreed with about my amendment proposal I thought your title meant you were a Rockefeller Republican.

Not really I am much to the right of Rockefeller Republicans on Economic Policy, and even Social and Cultural Policy. Rockefeller Republicans were pro choice while I support an ban after 20 weeks(Which is Kasich's position as well) and support defunding it as well.

On the non citizen point : I gave a counter proposal which by the way would basically be making Prop 187 law nationwide so it is pretty conservative as well.

On economic issues well I support Reaganmoics while Rockefeller Republicans did not, oppose single payer while many Javits and Rockefeller supported it , support reducing the regulatory powers of the executive branch etc.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2019, 06:50:52 PM »

On the non citizen point : I gave a counter proposal which by the way would basically be making Prop 187 law nationwide so it is pretty conservative as well.

It is even more conservative, isn't it, to insist that citizenship is preferable to being a resident alien, and that there is not and should not be any constitutional guarantee that aliens will be treated equally with citizens? The point was made by William Rehnquist -- the first sentence in the 14th Amendment provides a definition of citizenship, so why interpret the Equal Protection Clause -- at the end of Section 1 of the 14th -- as if it forbids conferring any benefits to citizenship? And, I would add, the Constitution itself discriminates against aliens since citizenship is a qualification for serving as President or serving in Congress. Is it really appropriate to interpret the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th as if it makes any government discrimination against non-citizens constitutionally suspicious? If it is appropriate for there to be judicial review when government discriminates against aliens, then isn't the end point going to be that aliens have an equal right to vote and to serve in any aspect of government, voiding that part of the qualifications clauses? As Prof. John Hart Ely said, "[C]onstitutional law appropriately exists for those situations where representative government cannot be trusted, not those where we know it can." So is it really necessary for there to be judicial review of all instances in which government discriminates against non-citizens? If you still think so, or if it's that you want a proposal with more nuance and detail than what I have drafted, then recognize that my proposal was designed to be a compromise, one in which I know everybody would not agree with every specific thing that the proposal will accomplish, if it's enacted, but most people will find most of it attractive.

On economic issues well I support Reaganmoics while Rockefeller Republicans did not, oppose single payer while many Javits and Rockefeller supported it , support reducing the regulatory powers of the executive branch etc.

Then I strongly recommend that you look into the Convention of States Project. You could add your name and address to the 1.4 million people who have signed the petition that we want to reign in the power of the federal government, restoring our founders' original design that the federal government be limited to its enumerated powers. So far, fifteen states have passed the resolution; we need nineteen more states to do so, including some states that have Democrat-dominated state legislatures. Oregon could be one of the states that joins our movement!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »

What, if anything, do you think the pre-2016 Republican Party did wrong that contributed to the rise of T***p? And after T***p is gone, what can it do to make sure that doesn't happen again?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2019, 10:50:46 PM »

What, if anything, do you think the pre-2016 Republican Party did wrong that contributed to the rise of T***p? And after T***p is gone, what can it do to make sure that doesn't happen again?

There are many things but I think the main thing is Republican Establishment lost touch with their base.

Take for example the issue of trade and the Republicans complete embrace of free trade and while Free Trade is good they supported it to such an absurd level where despite the fact the Chinese were clearly violating trade rule after trade rule they didnt nothing substantive against it. In fact they supported letting China in the WTO in the first place. This created an opening for a protectionist to rise

Then take immigration, for years Republicans have spoke out against Illegal Immigration but did nothing substantively against it and the problem got significantly worse under their watch during the Bush years. This created an opening for someone who is anti-immigrant to rise .

Then take the fact that it was under Republican watch that one of the biggest foreign policy blunder in US history happened and it caused us to be entangled in the middle east for decades. This created an opening for an isolationist to rise

Basically the Bush years created the conditions which allowed someone like Trump to rise. If the GOP supported McCain in 2000 over Bush maybe all this wouldn't have happened and the thing is they didnt learn a single thing from that when in 2016 they put most of the eggs in the Jeb Bush basket when it was clear nobody wanted another Bush as President. The GOP Establishment should have supported someone like Kasich someone who is a competent conservative but as an actual populist tint but no they decided to go with Jeb instead.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »

Old School 'Pub....

So, you supported Kasich in the '16 Pub Primaries in Oregon (Where actually he did quite well, despite the fact the Kasich dropped out of OR-REP-16-PRIM shortly before all of the EVs and VBMs were cast, where roughly 30% (Huh) happen in the last few days before ED....

Now, Trump showed up in Eugene Oregon on the eve of 'Pub Primary in a super-rally figuring he was running against a 'Pub opponent that might well have defeated Trump in Oregon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwGao9W112Q

Now---Trump's "big bag of tricks" was that he would not only rebuild the Timber Industry in Oregon, but additionally create a Trade War against Canada for unfair trade practices on a wide variety of issues.

So the question is this:

Do you believe that Donald Trump has followed through on his promises to protect rural and downstate Oregonians on the following items?

1.) Unfair Canadian Forestry and Paper Industry Practices?

2.) Unfair Canadian Fishing Industry Practices?

3.) Unfair Canadian Dairy Sector Practices?

4.) Unfair Canadian Agricultural Practices (Not Mentioned Above), but more specifically Cranberry Farms

These are all major themes in many parts of rural and downstate Oregon, which likely were directly responsible for some of massive the rural and small town swings we saw in Oregon between '08>'12>'16.

PDX is Upstate, and down here we have yet to see any major recovery from the Great Recession and nobody sheds any tears because some wealthy Portland Yuppie Scum lost the value of their houses, while meanwhile we can't afford to live down here on the current wages and the increase in the cost-of-living now that Metro-PDX are sinking the recovery of their real estate investments into annexing affordable working and middle-class parts of the Mid-Valley and even further South....
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »

It is even more conservative, isn't it, to insist that citizenship is preferable to being a resident alien, and that there is not and should not be any constitutional guarantee that aliens will be treated equally with citizens? The point was made by William Rehnquist -- the first sentence in the 14th Amendment provides a definition of citizenship, so why interpret the Equal Protection Clause -- at the end of Section 1 of the 14th -- as if it forbids conferring any benefits to citizenship? And, I would add, the Constitution itself discriminates against aliens since citizenship is a qualification for serving as President or serving in Congress. Is it really appropriate to interpret the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th as if it makes any government discrimination against non-citizens constitutionally suspicious? If it is appropriate for there to be judicial review when government discriminates against aliens, then isn't the end point going to be that aliens have an equal right to vote and to serve in any aspect of government, voiding that part of the qualifications clauses? As Prof. John Hart Ely said, "[C]onstitutional law appropriately exists for those situations where representative government cannot be trusted, not those where we know it can." So is it really necessary for there to be judicial review of all instances in which government discriminates against non-citizens? If you still think so, or if it's that you want a proposal with more nuance and detail than what I have drafted, then recognize that my proposal was designed to be a compromise, one in which I know everybody would not agree with every specific thing that the proposal will accomplish, if it's enacted, but most people will find most of it attractive.

Then I strongly recommend that you look into the Convention of States Project. You could add your name and address to the 1.4 million people who have signed the petition that we want to reign in the power of the federal government, restoring our founders' original design that the federal government be limited to its enumerated powers. So far, fifteen states have passed the resolution; we need nineteen more states to do so, including some states that have Democrat-dominated state legislatures. Oregon could be one of the states that joins our movement!

Well again the problem with your proposal is you said you would allow states to discriminate against non citizens. Again maybe I view the word differently then you do since I am not a legal expert by any stretch of the words but something as unambiguous as that makes me oppose it.

Maybe if it was more specific and said it allows states to deny certian non-essential services to non citizens then I would agree, or bars them from being a state employee then again I would agree but just broadly using allowing them to discriminate makes me oppose it because then what if they say non citzens kids cant go to public schools etc.

As for your 2nd point do you really need a convention for that. Just pass a law which does this

- Requires Congress to approve any regulation which has x  dollar impact or more on the economy

- Requires every regulation to a cost-benefit analysis be done and only allow it to be implemented if the benefits outweigh the costs or if congress approves of it

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »

Old School 'Pub....

So, you supported Kasich in the '16 Pub Primaries in Oregon (Where actually he did quite well, despite the fact the Kasich dropped out of OR-REP-16-PRIM shortly before all of the EVs and VBMs were cast, where roughly 30% (Huh) happen in the last few days before ED....

Now, Trump showed up in Eugene Oregon on the eve of 'Pub Primary in a super-rally figuring he was running against a 'Pub opponent that might well have defeated Trump in Oregon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwGao9W112Q

Now---Trump's "big bag of tricks" was that he would not only rebuild the Timber Industry in Oregon, but additionally create a Trade War against Canada for unfair trade practices on a wide variety of issues.

So the question is this:

Do you believe that Donald Trump has followed through on his promises to protect rural and downstate Oregonians on the following items?

1.) Unfair Canadian Forestry and Paper Industry Practices?

2.) Unfair Canadian Fishing Industry Practices?

3.) Unfair Canadian Dairy Sector Practices?

4.) Unfair Canadian Agricultural Practices (Not Mentioned Above), but more specifically Cranberry Farms

These are all major themes in many parts of rural and downstate Oregon, which likely were directly responsible for some of massive the rural and small town swings we saw in Oregon between '08>'12>'16.

PDX is Upstate, and down here we have yet to see any major recovery from the Great Recession and nobody sheds any tears because some wealthy Portland Yuppie Scum lost the value of their houses, while meanwhile we can't afford to live down here on the current wages and the increase in the cost-of-living now that Metro-PDX are sinking the recovery of their real estate investments into annexing affordable working and middle-class parts of the Mid-Valley and even further South....

On the dairy part I would say no because he did allow the Canadian protectionist tarrifs to stay in place but on the other hand without that USCMA never gets agreed to  and it is more favorable to US and Oregon Industry then NAFTA was which is what we would have if USCMA didnt get agreed to.

As for Agriculture I would say yes: https://www.drovers.com/article/usmca-passage-encouraged-960-ag-food-associations-and-companies

I think Trump backed down on Lumber so it would clearly no on that

I dont know much about the fishing industry so I dont know if I can answer that
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 01:31:04 AM »

There are many things but I think the main thing is Republican Establishment lost touch with their base.

Take for example the issue of trade and the Republicans complete embrace of free trade and while Free Trade is good they supported it to such an absurd level where despite the fact the Chinese were clearly violating trade rule after trade rule they didnt nothing substantive against it. In fact they supported letting China in the WTO in the first place. This created an opening for a protectionist to rise

Then take immigration, for years Republicans have spoke out against Illegal Immigration but did nothing substantively against it and the problem got significantly worse under their watch during the Bush years. This created an opening for someone who is anti-immigrant to rise .

Then take the fact that it was under Republican watch that one of the biggest foreign policy blunder in US history happened and it caused us to be entangled in the middle east for decades. This created an opening for an isolationist to rise

Basically the Bush years created the conditions which allowed someone like Trump to rise. If the GOP supported McCain in 2000 over Bush maybe all this wouldn't have happened and the thing is they didnt learn a single thing from that when in 2016 they put most of the eggs in the Jeb Bush basket when it was clear nobody wanted another Bush as President. The GOP Establishment should have supported someone like Kasich someone who is a competent conservative but as an actual populist tint but no they decided to go with Jeb instead.
Jeb’s campaign was “leave my brother alone” when he could have made an effort to distance himself from his brother.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies