Describe a Mike Hurst-Jim Hood voter.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:17:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Describe a Mike Hurst-Jim Hood voter.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Mike Hurst-Jim Hood voter.  (Read 294 times)
coolface1572
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:53:30 PM »

As expected, Jim Hood lost his run for governor. However, there was one county he won which he lost in his previous run for Attorney General. Madison County. It has a decent sized population and the highest income in the state. Who are these people who supported him for governor but not for AG in 2015?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »

Public school teachers and those who sympathize with them.
coolface1572
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:16 PM »

Public school teachers and those who sympathize with them.

Yeah I suppose that would be a possibility. The democrats are doing better in the suburbs and Hood ran on raising teacher pay.

Also I found out that Madison County is where Mike Hurst lives. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have even started this discussion.
JMT

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »

While each category would be small, I can think of two:

-A Republican-leaning voter (who likely does not pay a lot of attention to politics) who typically votes Republican down-ballot due to their Republican leanings but is willing to vote Democrat in more high profile races (e.g. Governor or Senate races). Kentucky did this just last night by electing a Democratic governor, but sending Republicans to all other offices. Similarly, MA voters have voted for many Republican Governors, but rarely vote for Republicans for other statewide positions.

-A Republican who used to vote party line for most (if not all) races, but has been turned off by Trump and wanted to send a message by not sending a Trump-backed Republican to office (remember, Hurst was on the ballot for AG in 2015, before Trump was President).
coolface1572
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »

While each category would be small, I can think of two:

-A Republican-leaning voter (who likely does not pay a lot of attention to politics) who typically votes Republican down-ballot due to their Republican leanings but is willing to vote Democrat in more high profile races (e.g. Governor or Senate races). Kentucky did this just last night by electing a Democratic governor, but sending Republicans to all other offices. Similarly, MA voters have voted for many Republican Governors, but rarely vote for Republicans for other statewide positions.

-A Republican who used to vote party line for most (if not all) races, but has been turned off by Trump and wanted to send a message by not sending a Trump-backed Republican to office (remember, Hurst was on the ballot for AG in 2015, before Trump was President).

Those are good possibilities. In the case of Madison County, my guess it that it was largely a "favorite son" block of voters for Hurst who are willing to back a moderate democrat.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »

Wine moms in Eastover and Madison.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies