Why did Gina Raimondo win by so much?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:08:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why did Gina Raimondo win by so much?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Gina Raimondo win by so much?  (Read 686 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »

Obviously a Democratic governor winning reelection in Rhode Island in a Democratic wave year isn’t a surprising result in and of itself, but the fact that Raimondo won by as much as Clinton despite her (relative?) unpopularity when Republicans running in states as or much more Democratic than RI (CT, MD, MA, etc.) far outperformed Trump 2016 certainly was somewhat of a surprise, at least to me. I would have expected more of a KS 2014 type of result or a little better for Democrats here, especially if you had told me before the election that Hogan would win by double digits and Lamont would only win by 3%.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »

Good question, I’m not really informed enough on the specifics of the race to have an answer. In retrospect, you would think that Connecticut and Rhode Island would have gotten each other’s respective outcomes rather than their own. In CT, a Trumpist embracing Republican ran for a seat vacated by an unpopular Democrat, while in RI, a moderate, inoffensive Republican ran against an unpopular incumbent Democrat. You would think Rhode Island would have been closer and Connecticut a more solid win for the Democrats.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »

Blue wave, blue state, retread GOP nominee, Raimondo underwater but not toxic.

#GINEVITABLE
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »

Good question, I’m not really informed enough on the specifics of the race to have an answer. In retrospect, you would think that Connecticut and Rhode Island would have gotten each other’s respective outcomes rather than their own. In CT, a Trumpist embracing Republican ran for a seat vacated by an unpopular Democrat, while in RI, a moderate, inoffensive Republican ran against an unpopular incumbent Democrat. You would think Rhode Island would have been closer and Connecticut a more solid win for the Democrats.

Exactly my thoughts.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 04:13:54 PM »

Wasn't a lot of Raimondo's unpopularity was due to people on the left wing of her party?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies