What happened in southeast Kentucky?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:11:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What happened in southeast Kentucky?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happened in southeast Kentucky?  (Read 966 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »

Not just in the governor race, but nearly all Dems down the ballot did better than their statewide number in many counties in southeast Kentucky that trended R well before Trump. Counties like Knott, Floyd, Breathitt, and Magoffin. Why did this happen? Western Kentucky trended a lot more Republican but these areas snapped back to Democratic this election cycle, and it doesn't look like it was just because of Bevin.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:14:28 PM »

I guess you'd have to explain why Harlan and Bell went the other way though.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »

I guess you'd have to explain why Harlan and Bell went the other way though.

They say in Harlan County, there are no neutrals there.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »

Dead cat bounce?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »

There is still a strong Democratic tradition in these counties. Seems people were a little too quick to declare it dead. No, they don't like national Democrats -- especially not Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton -- but that doesn't mean they hate local Democrats. The state party still has a pulse there, and is essentially seen as a separate entity from the national party. It has been for a long time, and clearly that hasn't quite changed yet no matter how hard the GOP has been working to nationalize state races here.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:56:51 PM »

This area is still fairly friendly to democrats downballot. Just look at the numerous State House districts that democrats still hold in the area.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 10:02:26 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2021, 10:05:59 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

Does anyone have an updated statewide map showing the partisan breakdown of seats in the Kentucky House?  I am curious to see how many Republicans now represent the ancestrally Democratic region of eastern Kentucky, especially now that they have a three-quarters super-majority in the chamber.

Here is the partisan breakdown from 2016 after they first won the chamber (and along the lines of what I am looking for):

source
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »

Does anyone have an updated statewide map showing the partisan breakdown of seats in the Kentucky House?  I am curious to see how many Republicans now represent the ancestrally Democratic region of eastern Kentucky, especially now that they have a three-quarters super-majority in the chamber.

Here is the partisan breakdown from 2016 after they first won the chamber (and along the lines of what I am looking for):

source

I hope it can help you.

https://cnalysis.com/maps/2020-state-legislative-results/
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 03:42:59 PM »

source

I hope it can help you.

https://cnalysis.com/maps/2020-state-legislative-results/

That works, thanks! 
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 02:55:25 PM »

source
Democrats were reduced to just 2 seats in Appalachian Kentucky in the State House in 2020, 1 of which went unopposed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies