PA Statewide Elections 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:35:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA Statewide Elections 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA Statewide Elections 2019  (Read 2302 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 06, 2019, 01:23:21 AM »

Still waiting on the statewide election results, though it looks one Republican and one Democrat might end up winning the two major statewide judicial races.

Democrats did quite well in elections held in the suburban counties around Philadelphia. The party won a majority on the Chester County Board of Commissioners for the first time in history, a majority on the Delaware County Council for the first time since the Civil War, and it looks like they'll win a majority on the Bucks County Board of Commissioners for the first time since the 1980s. They also defended their majority on the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners, and obviously kept their majority on the Philadelphia City Council. Democrats also some other races for e.g. Delaware County District Attorney.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:46:25 AM »

Seems like this election basically saw Democrats do well in places Trump lost, and Republicans do well in places Trump won. In the Pittsburgh suburbs, the GOP won control of the board of commissioners in Westmoreland County (voted 64-33 for Trump in 2016) and Washington County (voted 60-36 Trump in 2016). In Northeast PA, Democrats defended their majority on the Lackawanna County (voted 50-46 for Clinton in 2016) board of commissioners, but lost it in Luzerne County (voted 58-39 for Trump). In the Lehigh Valley, Democrats won control of the Lehigh County (voted 50-45 for Clinton) board of commissioners for the first time this century.

I know these statewide races can not be reflective of what's happening, but it's still a bit dissapointing. Was hoping for a way better result from Dems, but turnout in my county, Montco, for example, was only 37%, compared to 67% last year.

Not that I disagree with anything you said, but it's worth noting that these judicial races aren't for the state supreme court, but for one of two appellate courts. I've lived in Pennsylvania for about three decades, and I don't know anyone who has ever mentioned the Superior Court of Pennsylvania in a conversation.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:06:03 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2019, 02:17:24 PM by Orser67 »

IIRC, Geoffrey Skelley said yesterday on twitter that the suburbs are becoming a no-fly zone for Republicans nationwide.

Yeah, the other major thing is that Republicans controlled 4 out of 4 suburban Philly congressional districts prior to 2018 (Costello, Fitzpatrick, Dent, and Meehan), and now control just 1 of 4 (Fitzpatrick). They also lost Dent's Lehigh Valley-based district.

At the same time:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies