Senate Confirmation Thread: Australian Swing Voter for Deputy Game Moderator (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:40:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Thread: Australian Swing Voter for Deputy Game Moderator (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Thread: Australian Swing Voter for Deputy Game Moderator  (Read 2153 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: November 05, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »

Is there a plan or desire to appoint another Deputy GM in the near future for the sake of numbers and budget evaluations?

What is your strategy for making the GM team more central to the function of the game. All of the things you mentioned can be done, but either as an isolated side operation or as a central feature that everyone is necessitated to pay attention to. How would you ensure that it is the latter?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »

Is there a plan or desire to appoint another Deputy GM in the near future for the sake of numbers and budget evaluations?

Gladly accepting applications from our mathematically gifted citizens. In the meantime I can score some numbers if they are PMd to me.

I take it that means no one has applied so far?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 12:41:23 AM »

There really isn't a point to asking about GM reform to a Deputy GM nominee. They don't really hold any power to running the GM position, nor do they have a say in it's structure anyway.

It has been a general practice though to derive input on structure from the people who have to "make the crap function" and thus it behooves us to listen to them about suggestions to make the crap less crappy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »

I motion for a final vote on confirmation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:37 AM »

There really isn't a point to asking about GM reform to a Deputy GM nominee. They don't really hold any power to running the GM position, nor do they have a say in it's structure anyway.

It has been a general practice though to derive input on structure from the people who have to "make the crap function" and thus it behooves us to listen to them about suggestions to make the crap less crappy.

My problem with GM reform is that many people bring it up now and again yet nobody ever proposes a specific reform. The idea of reform is attractive however nobody has yet to actually propose a reform and argue why it specifically would make the Game Engine better.

I can answer that question.

To put it simply no reform is going to fabricate an active, interested and competent person who can do the job of GM. That is why everyone loves to talk about reform of the GM, but 1) nothing ever happens or 2) the reforms don't cause substantial change.

The reason why the GM reforms when passed don't ensure results, is because again it comes back to having someone able and willing to perform the task. Perhaps reform can induce interests on the margins in some fashion, but it is basically the in game version of pushing on a string.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »

AYE
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 12:22:06 AM »

Look I get it, but this is falling into a standard trap that often befalls most reform efforts. They inadvertently sabotage the present status quo on the grounds of a reform to come that has not yet occurred and in the mean time, the game is going to suffer, undermining the reform effort itself. I have seen this movie play out so many times, we would be making a huge mistake to do it again.   

The responsible way to handle this is to confirm ASV, and let some things get moving in terms of Game Moderator activity (including I would point out allowing clarity on whether to proceed with the Resolution on Bolivia), meanwhile we have time to properly debate, implement reform as well as seek out/find and appoint people to the nearly created positions.

That could take a month, especially with the holidays, maybe more.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies