New Jersey legislative elections megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:15:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Jersey legislative elections megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: New Jersey legislative elections megathread  (Read 4369 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »

Somerset County is blue almost single-handedly because of Franklin Township. Without it Obama would’ve lost it twice (although Hillary still would’ve narrowly carried it). Morris lacks a community that could make it blue the same way.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »

Somerset County is blue almost single-handedly because of Franklin Township. Without it Obama would’ve lost it twice (although Hillary still would’ve narrowly carried it). Morris lacks a community that could make it blue the same way.

Somerset is becoming more demographically diverse, especially in the South near Princeton. Those towns also have high academic attainment. It’s not just Franklin.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »

Somerset is becoming more demographically diverse, especially in the South near Princeton. Those towns also have high academic attainment. It’s not just Franklin.

That wasn’t what I was trying to say. My point is that without Franklin Somerset would still be a swing county, although trending blue, rather than a solidly blue one by now.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »

Morristown, Morris Township, Dover, Parsippany-Troy Hills, Madison.
Dead Parrot
Rookie

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2019, 05:30:01 PM »

None of those towns comprise as much of Morris's population as Franklin does Somerset's. Franklin accounts for nearly 20% of all the votes cast in the county most years. They're also nowhere near as blue.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »

Democrats won the congressional vote in Morris County pretty easily last year. I don’t have the township results, but that result could indicate a potential Democratic power base
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »

Democrats won the congressional vote in Morris County pretty easily last year. I don’t have the township results, but that result could indicate a potential Democratic power base

Maybe that’s because Morris County is located in a district where the GOP ran a horrible candidate and got crushed by 15 points. We still can’t see what a normal win will look like.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »

Maybe that’s because Morris County is located in a district where the GOP ran a horrible candidate and got crushed by 15 points. We still can’t see what a normal win will look like.

I remember last year when our blue avatars were touting him as a great recruit and the strongest possible candidate.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »

I remember last year when our blue avatars were touting him as a great recruit and the strongest possible candidate.

Ghee would have been much stronger.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »

Ghee would have been much stronger.

He wasn't pure enough for the primary electorate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »

Wasn't Franklin voting Democratic much more often of the rest of Somerset County before the entire county became favorable to Democrats though? There's no doubt that Franklin is the center of that change, but other communities within the county are undeniably moving leftwards too though.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 07:13:34 PM »

Montgomery Township has also become fairly blue. Wouldn’t be shocked if Bernards Township and Bridgewater also had more of a blue swing in the near future.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »

The Chathams have also swung leftward, as has Randolph.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »

Wasn't Franklin voting Democratic much more often of the rest of Somerset County before the entire county became favorable to Democrats though? There's no doubt that Franklin is the center of that change, but other communities within the county are undeniably moving leftwards too though.

It was, but the town was much smaller then. The rest of the county has moved left, but hasn’t reached the point where it’s reliably blue without Franklin.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »

So did the Republicans win in AD2 or not?
Dead Parrot
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:01 PM »

So did the Republicans win in AD2 or not?

I can't link to it, but David Wildstein just tweeted that the Dems have held LD-2.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »

The Democrats were able to hold off some of their potential losses but still lost their supermajority.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »

So the 2nd is the only district with a party split?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2019, 10:50:31 PM »

No nj 3 has the party switcher state senator but r state house.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2019, 10:53:34 PM »

I kind of doubt Steve Sweeney is a party switcher.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2019, 10:55:54 PM »

16th (traditionally based in Somerset County, but now includes part of Hunterdon along with Princeton) has a Republican senator and two Democratic assemblymen.

On another note, was anyone else surprised that the 21st stayed R? I was bracing myself for disappointment but very pleasantly surprised on election night. This is a wealthy district that Hillary won by 10 and where Trump is beyond toxic.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:04 PM »

I kind of doubt Steve Sweeney is a party switcher.
Sorry my bad
Meant ld 8
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »

On another note, was anyone else surprised that the 21st stayed R? I was bracing myself for disappointment but very pleasantly surprised on election night. This is a wealthy district that Hillary won by 10 and where Trump is beyond toxic.

This is the Kean/Bramnick/Munoz seat, all of whom are quite individually popular and well-liked, and not to mention virtually the entire Republican legislative leadership in NJ (yes, they're all from the same seat). Bramnick and Munoz are very effective moderates who practically ran an anti-Trump campaign. Both would be formidable gubernatorial candidates, especially if a Democrat is President.
slothdem

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2019, 09:25:49 AM »

I'm not surprised that Bramnick/Munoz pulled it out, but I am surprised at the margin and I'm shocked that they carried the Union County portion of the district (by 1.8%, but still). I'm originally from the Union suburbs, and I was of the opinion that post-Trump, no Republican could carry those towns at any level. Makes their win very impressive.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »

There must be some share of voters in AD 21 who voted Democratic federally because they were reamed by the SALT deduction cap but by the same token are going to vote for state Republicans to keep taxes down.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies