S.19.4-3: The Southern Environmental Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:56:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.4-3: The Southern Environmental Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.4-3: The Southern Environmental Act (Statute)  (Read 1730 times)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« on: November 05, 2019, 11:34:08 PM »

Of course, I favor this bill. I think the proposals here are moderate and I am open to amendment if necessary. I would like to hear what my fellow delegates have to say on this bill and if they support it or not.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2019, 09:22:42 AM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

Does this mean that flights made by Southern Government Workers won't be able to fly on aircraft that have plastic utensils? In my experience pretty much all airlines use plastic utensils. What are they supposed to use for a knife to cut with? Aren't there rules about metal objects on planes? Does this mean no one on the payroll of the Southern Government will be allowed to fly?
The purpose of Article IV, Section I is to incentivize corporations transitioning from plastic straws, cups, plates, bowls, boxes, and containers to paper ones (including cardboards) and from plastic spoons, forks, and knives to disposable bamboo or wooden ones.

I realize it is hard to break into the habit of bringing one's own utensils, containers, and cups with them so I think incentivizing the production of disposables with renewable resources (wood, by extension paper, and bamboo) would be best. Also, as the Deputy Speaker points out, some businesses cannot use reusable metal utensils instead of paper, wood, and bamboo ones. In these cases, I believe disposable, biodegradable non-metal (so paper and wood or bamboo) is the only way to go. Not only is wood, bamboo, and paper easily renewable but also easily biodegradable compared to plastic which takes much, much longer to break down (10-1000 years).

EDIT: I accidentally posted before responding to the rest of the Deputy Speaker's post.

Is this chamber going to turn into the food police? Meat is an essential part of a healthy diet. Vegetarians can quite easily suffer from iron deficiency. A case could just as easily be made for the promotion of eating meat. Some of the great dishes of the South are meat based. "I'm Sorry Timmy but you shouldn't enjoy that rack of ribs it's causing too much farting"

Article II, Section I is a campaign solely to provide dietary suggestions to the Southern people based on evidence, similar to how the Atlasian Department of Agriculture does (USDA IRL) at the federal level. The suggestion of Section I is a reduction in the consumption of meat. Certainly, a reduced (not eliminated) consumption of meat is possible for most people, including a diet of some meat substitutes. I'm sure Timmy can enjoy his rack of ribs, perhaps just a little less often than before, and only if he so chooses to have it less often. Perhaps Timmy can fix himself a Carolina Dog with a veggie dog as opposed to the real thing, maybe half the time?

Furthermore, sufficient iron and protein can be provided by non-meats, among them spinach, beans, legumes, almonds and other nuts, pumpkin seeds and other seeds, quinoa, broccoli, tofu, dark chocolate, and a lot more. Some list items from the source below were meats but certainly if one eats a sufficient amount of a few types of iron-rich foods one doesn't need to eat all eleven regularly.

11 Healthy Foods That Are Very High in Iron

I thank the Deputy Speaker for his questions and on another note, I would like to thank the Deputy Speaker for his activity in continuing to PM delegates on new legislation arriving on the floor.

EDIT 2:

Does this mean that flights made by Southern Government Workers won't be able to fly on aircraft that have plastic utensils?
Does this mean no one on the payroll of the Southern Government will be allowed to fly?
I didn't directly address the Speaker's two queries shown above (also quoted at the top of this post).

The intent of this bill is to end contracts (to do a specific job) with corporations that refuse to phase out disposable plastics, not to forbid public employees from patronizing businesses in that category.

EDIT 3:

Though the increase in CO2 is minimal compared to the body of CO2 produced and put back in sinks, this is enough to put us on track to hit the 2 degrees celsius in temperature increase. Climatologists warn this is the point of no return and that we may already have hit the point of no return (if it is actually somewhere below 2%). This bill aims at reducing CO2 production as a result of agriculture and waste (mostly plastic production and burning, as well as the burning of garbage at-large).
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/16/plastic-straw-alternatives-often-bad-planet-people-disabilities/1761397001/

And two of the most common straw alternatives — paper and metal — have drawn criticism for environmental experts such as Walker.

Paper straws use a lot of raw materials, and because of their single-use nature, do not lessen one's carbon footprint, Walker told USA TODAY.

Stainless steel, on the other hand, uses a fair amount of energy as well as mining resources to make.

It's not just about straws.

Outside of production, though, plasticware contributes a second time to toxic emissions when much of it ends up burned for energy or to prevent the storage of so much plastic in landfills.

On the other hand, metal (cutlery) and glass, clay, etc (for bowls, cups, etc) alternatives are reusable, lasting a long time, and paper alternatives are biodegradable and easily renewable.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »

You do realize that disposable paper products (cups, plates, straws, etc) used by restaurants are not recyclable, right? And as pointed out, they do not reduce anyone's carbon footprint. A fast food restaurant also doesn't have the ability to use reusable alternatives if someone is taking something to go.
I never implied fast-food restaurants would use reusables for take-out, businesses will use reusable utensils, bowls, etc. only for dining-in (if that).

As I said before: "some businesses cannot use reusable metal utensils."

I also stressed that paper products would be disposable when I used the word biodegradable three times.

I would appreciate the Gentlelady reading my responses before commenting.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:28:22 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2019, 09:32:09 PM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

However you fail to recognize that paper products need to be coated with plastic in order to actually be effective as an alternative to plastic cups, plates, straws, etc.

You also still haven't addressed the fact that those with disabilities still need to use things like plastic straws.
A lot less plastic than completely plastic products, though.

The Congresswoman's second point is legitimate. I don't want to unfairly disadvantage disabled Southerners so I propose an amendment.
The Southern Environmental Act (The SEA Act)
- Whereas human activity has a major impact on climate change.
- Whereas increasing global temperatures will lead to severe environmental deterioration, habitat destruction for animals, and a decrease in the quality of life for humans in coastal areas.
- Whereas non-renewables such as plastics emit harmful gases into the atmosphere upon burning.
- Whereas considerable amounts of recyclables are burned, end up in landfills, or are sent to other countries to the same effect.
- Whereas the large-scale consumption of meat, especially red meats such as beef and lamb, contributes to the methane emission crisis as well as to negative health effects in humans such as an increased amount of carcinogens and worsening heart health.

Be it resolved that:

Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting recycling.
Section II) The funds for this program shall be allocated to each Southern state’s Department of Environmental Quality or equivalent.
Section III) The method of advertisement shall include but shall not be limited to television advertisements, billboard advertisements, radio advertisements, and so on.
Section IV) Upon the exhaustion of the aforementioned funds, Article I shall be null and void unless a law is passed renewing the fund in the same or a different amount.
Section V) Article I shall take effect, with funds dispensed to the states, on December 1, 2019.

Article II
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting a lowered consumption of meat, especially beef, lamb, and other red meats.
Section II) The funds for this program shall be allocated to each Southern state’s Department of Environmental Quality or equivalent.
Section III) Each state’s Department of Health and Human Services or equivalent shall work with that state’s Department of Environmental Quality or equivalent to compile information citing health and environmental benefits as a result of consuming less meat for use in the aforementioned advertisements.
Section IV) The method of advertisement shall include but shall not be limited to television advertisements, billboard advertisements, radio advertisements, and so on.
Section V) Upon the exhaustion of the aforementioned funds, Article II shall be null and void unless a law is passed renewing the fund in the same or a different amount.
Section VI) Article II shall take effect, with funds dispensed to the states, on December 1, 2019.

Article III
Section I) The Southern region shall not dispose of recyclable material by means of burning, disposal in landfills, or shipment to other regions or countries for the purpose of burning or disposal in landfills.
Section II) Article III shall take effect on January 1, 2020.

Article IV
Section I) The government of the Southern region shall end public contracts with corporations that continue to use plastic (including styrofoam) disposables, among them plastic straws, plastic cups, plastic bowls, plastic plates, styrofoam boxes, styrofoam trays, styrofoam containers, and plastic utensils.
Section II) Section I of Article IV shall expressly exclude plastic straws from this legislation.
Section III) Article IV shall take effect on May 1, 2020.
Striking the portions in red
Adding the portions in blue
Replacing the II with a III marked in purple

I don't mean to overstep, but: 24 hours are in order for objections to this amendment, either from the time of this post or preferably 24 hours from a declaration opening the floor to objections by the Speaker.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 06:33:29 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2019, 06:38:17 AM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

Quote from: The Southern Environmental Act (The SEA Act)
- Whereas human activity has a major impact on climate change.
- Whereas increasing global temperatures will lead to severe environmental deterioration, habitat destruction for animals, and a decrease in the quality of life for humans in coastal areas.
- Whereas non-renewables such as plastics emit harmful gases into the atmosphere upon burning.
- Whereas considerable amounts of recyclables are burned, end up in landfills, or are sent to other countries to the same effect.
- Whereas the large-scale consumption of meat, especially red meats such as beef and lamb, contributes to the methane emission crisis as well as to negative health effects in humans such as an increased amount of carcinogens and worsening heart health.

Be it resolved that:

Article I
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting recycling.
Section III) The method of advertisement shall include but shall not be limited to television advertisements, billboard advertisements, radio advertisements, and so on.
Section IV) Upon the exhaustion of the aforementioned funds, Article I shall be null and void unless a law is passed renewing the fund in the same or a different amount.
Section V) Article I shall take effect, with funds dispensed to the states, on December 1, 2019.

Article II
Section I) One million dollars shall be dispensed to the states of the Southern region, according to the population of each, for the creation and broadcast of advertisements promoting a lowered consumption of meat, especially beef, lamb, and other red meats.
Section III) Each state’s Department of Health and Human Services or equivalent shall work with that state’s Department of Environmental Quality or equivalent to compile information citing health and environmental benefits as a result of consuming less meat for use in the aforementioned advertisements.
Section IV) The method of advertisement shall include but shall not be limited to television advertisements, billboard advertisements, radio advertisements, and so on.
Section V) Upon the exhaustion of the aforementioned funds, Article II shall be null and void unless a law is passed renewing the fund in the same or a different amount.
Section VI) Article II shall take effect, with funds dispensed to the states, on December 1, 2019.

Article III
Section I) The Southern region shall not dispose of recyclable material by means of burning, disposal in landfills, or shipment to other regions or countries for the purpose of burning or disposal in landfills.
Section II) Article III shall take effect on January 1, 2020.

Article IV
Section I) The government of the Southern region shall end public contracts with corporations that continue to use plastic (including styrofoam) disposables, among them plastic straws, plastic cups, plastic bowls, plastic plates, styrofoam boxes, styrofoam trays, styrofoam containers, and plastic utensils.
Section II) Section I of Article IV shall expressly exclude plastic straws from this legislation.
Section III) Article IV shall take effect on May 1, 2020.
Striking the portions in red
Adding the portions in blue
Replacing the II with a III marked in purple

24 hours for objections. If there are no objections this will be the official version of the bill.

I will accept proxies in favor of the amendments, in the event of an objection.

Mr. Deputy Speaker: I accidentally left in one extra space upon striking those words and the same upon striking a word from the transport bill (in the middle of a sentence in my most recent suggestion to amend it). Do we have to go through the amendment process or is the removal of the space (in each of the two instances) not required to be done by amendment?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »

I motion for a final vote if there are no objections.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:33:45 AM »

The bill has always been proposing a reduced consumption of meat, not abstention.

Motioning for a vote as it's been ~48 hrs w/o debate.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 07:30:59 AM »

I'll second this amendment.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix