LC 5.5: Lincoln Climate Change Control Act of 2019 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:19:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 5.5: Lincoln Climate Change Control Act of 2019 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 5.5: Lincoln Climate Change Control Act of 2019 (Passed)  (Read 319 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:21:13 PM »
« edited: December 27, 2019, 09:52:43 PM by Speaker OneJ »

LINCOLN CLIMATE CHANGE CONTROL ACT OF 2019

A. OFFSHORE DRILLING BAN
I. Lincoln shall hereby issue an immediate ban on any offshore drilling within 10 miles of the coast of Lincoln or of any land that belongs to Lincoln
II. Any company in violation of this policy will pay a fine of no less than $10 million

B. MORATORIUM ON FRACKING

I. A moratorium, which shall be effective immediately after the implementation of the bill, shall be established on all fracking in the entire region of Lincoln.
II. This moratorium shall last 3 years, after which it will be determined, whether or not it should be lifted. A two-thirds majority shall be required to lift the moratorium.
III. Any company in violation of this policy shall pay a fine of no less than $10 million
IV. Companies in violation, that engage in offshore drilling, shall pay this fine and the one in Sec A.II.

C. PHASING OUT FOSSIL FUELS

I. The phasing out of petroleum drilling shall occur gradually over a 5 year period
II. Any company drilling petroleum after this deadline will be charged a fine of no less than $15 million.
III. Any company who stops drilling at least 2 years before the deadline, shall receive a 2% tax credit on all taxes for the next year
IV. The phasing out of coal shall occur over a 3 year period
V. Any coal mines still in operation after the 3 year period, will result in a fine to the mine’s owner of no less than $20 million.
VI. Companies shall receive a tax credit of 5% on next years’ taxes if they close their mines within 6 months of the implementation of this bill
VII. Manufacturing of the nitrous oxide engine shall be banned, effective immediately after the implementation of this bill.
VIII. Any company who still manufactures the engine after this time period, will be fined a fine of no less than $10 million.

D. CAPS ON EMISSIONS

I. A regional agency called the Lincoln Department of Environmental Protection shall be created following the passage of this bill
II. This agency shall set caps on emissions for the following gases: carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide
III. Any company who violates the cap will be fined $12 million for each percent that they are over the limit
IV. The cap should be decreased by 5% each year

E. IMPLEMENTATION

I. This law shall take effect two weeks after being signed by the governor

Sponsor: S019

The debating period for LC 5.5 has commenced. It shall last no longer than 72 hours.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:32:04 PM »

This act will take some very critical and important steps to fight climate change. It will phase out fossil fuels, cap emissions, ban fracking, and ban offshore drilling. Ultimately, climate change is the gravest threat to society, and we need bold action to deal with it. This ambitious legislation seeks to do just that. If we pass this, we will be a step closer to saving the planet, as such I urge the Council to vote AYE.
Pragmatist_TNAG
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »

I applaud S019 efforts when it comes to combating climate change, and this bill is a great step forward. Although, I propose some changes in the form of an amendment to make the standards more realistic

A. OFFSHORE DRILLING BAN
I. Lincoln shall hereby issue an immediate ban on any offshore drilling within 10 miles of the coast of Lincoln or of any land that belongs to Lincoln
II. Any company in violation of this policy will pay a fine of no less than $10 million

I. A moratorium, which shall be effective immediately after the implementation of the bill, shall be established on all fracking in the entire region of Lincoln.
II. This moratorium shall last 3 years, after which it will be determined, whether or not it should be lifted. A two-thirds majority shall be required to lift the moratorium.
III. Any company in violation of this policy shall pay a fine of no less than $10 million
IV. Companies in violation, that engage in offshore drilling, shall pay this fine and the one in Sec A.II.

I. The phasing out of petroleum drilling shall occur gradually over a Five
8 year period
II. Any company drilling petroleum after this deadline will be charged a fine of no less than $15 million.
III. Any company who stops drilling at least Two 4 years before the deadline, shall receive a 2% tax credit on all taxes for the next year
IV. The phasing out of coal shall occur over a Three 5 year period
V. Any coal mines still in operation after the Three 5 year period, will result in a fine to the mine’s owner of no less than $20 million.
VI. Companies shall receive a tax credit of 5% on next years’ taxes if they close their mines within 6 months 1 year of the implementation of this bill
VII. Manufacturing of the nitrous oxide engine shall be banned, effective immediately after the implementation of this bill.
VIII. Any company who still manufactures the engine after this time period, will be fined a fine of no less than $10 million.

D. CAPS ON EMISSIONS

I. A regional agency called the Lincoln Department of Environmental Protection shall be created following the passage of this bill
II. This agency shall set caps on emissions for the following gases: carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide
III. Any company who violates the cap will be fined $12 million for each percent that they are over the limit

E. IMPLEMENTATION

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:42:34 AM »

I applaud S019 efforts when it comes to combating climate change, and this bill is a great step forward. Although, I propose some changes in the form of an amendment to make the standards more realistic

A. OFFSHORE DRILLING BAN

I. The phasing out of petroleum drilling shall occur gradually over a Five
8 year period
III. Any company who stops drilling at least Two 4 years before the deadline, shall receive a 2% tax credit on all taxes for the next year
IV. The phasing out of coal shall occur over a Three 5 year period
V. Any coal mines still in operation after the Three 5 year period, will result in a fine to the mine’s owner of no less than $20 million.
VI. Companies shall receive a tax credit of 5% on next years’ taxes if they close their mines within 6 months 1 year of the implementation of this bill

D. CAPS ON EMISSIONS

E. IMPLEMENTATION

Friendly
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »

A 24 objection period to the last amendment has now begun.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »

The objection period has ended, therefore I move for a final vote.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 08:48:11 AM »

The 24 hour objection period has elapsed and will now transition into a final vote. Councilmembers have 48 hours to vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.

Aye.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »

AYE
Pragmatist_TNAG
Rookie