Thoughts on cloning extinct animals (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:59:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Thoughts on cloning extinct animals (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thoughts on cloning extinct animals  (Read 1606 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 22, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »

I support in the case of animals who went extinct in the last 10-5,000 years or so. Anything from before then could have dramatic effects on the environment, but animals like the Thylacine, Caspian Tiger, Iberian Iybex, and the like could prove invaluable to the native environments and to help us find out more about the lineages of these animals so we can further complete the fossil record. Remember, we still don't know how Big Cats evolved.

However, something we must take into account is how much the natural environment has changed from when this species first inhabited the Earth. If it's semi-similar to when it originally died out, then yes, but if it isn't, then no.

Also, for those fearing about potential jurassic parks, the closest we can come to resurrecting Dinosaurs (I use that term loosely) is given chickens features of Dinosaurs. Look up Chickenosaurus. It's quite interesting. But seriously, how threatened would you feel about a feathered reptile running at you when it's small enough for you to punt across the ground with ease? Doesn't sound like much of a threat to me.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »

Fully support it. That will be good for biodiversity, ecosystems and for science. Btw, scientists plan to inset woolly mammoth genes into an Asian elephant embryo in 2020 and as female elephants are usually pregnant for 22 months, I guess the first cloned mammoth will be born somewhere in 2022.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7139594/woolly-mammoth-cloned-russia-dna/

Thing is, will it be successful tho? We have the Iberian Ibex to show that cloning sometimes doesn't work.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies