Your stance on climate change
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your stance on climate change
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Check all that apply:
I believe the world's average temperatures are getting warmer

I believe that the warming patterns now are unprecedented in the historical record

I believe that this warming is caused by an increase in CO2 in the atmosphere

I believe that this increase in CO2 is caused by human industry

At best, we have until 2050 to remedy this crisis

At best, we only have 12 years before we do irreparable damage to our planet

It's too late for us to fix this; our solutions now have to focus on mitigating the severity of climate change

This problem cannot be solved solely through innovation; we need to reduce our personal consumption

We need carbon taxes and caps on emissions

We need subsidies to renewable energies like wind and solar

Nuclear energy should be our prime focus, as it is the energy source of the future

Small changes aren't enough; we need to completely reform our economy from the ground up

Limiting population growth in western countries is an important part of the path forward

Limiting population growth in developing nations is an important part of the path forward

I support the Green New Deal and would like to see it implemented as policy

We should be depopulating areas at sea level and establishing funds to help people in these regions relocate

We need to cease oil production immediately

We need to cease coal production immediately

Plane travel should become far less common

To decrease agricultural emissions, we should encourage vegetarian diets

Insects are the food of the future; they provide protein and harvesting them is cheap and energy efficient

We should be developing technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere

Personal automobiles should be phased out in favor of cleaner public transport

Oil companies should be held legally culpable for the damage they've done to the planet

None of the above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Your stance on climate change  (Read 1940 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 04:21:20 AM »

I believe that the Earth is getting warmer through both natural and man-made processes.  But, the US is contributing relatively little to the man-made part per-capita compared to other nations.  Regardless, I simply don't buy into the global warming hysteria.  If the Earth warms 5-10 degrees, all it will mean is more pleasant winters.  Florida and NYC aren't going to sink below the sea.  If places like that were, we would have started to see high-profile examples of that already, as the Earth has warmed several degrees.

TL/DR: Global warming is real, but no big deal.

It's not about "not buying" into the consequences. You can't tell the future by common sense and gut alone. Carefully researched models point towards Florida and Chesapeake Bay sinking deep into the sea by 2050. By the way, enjoy heat waves? There's going to be a lot more of those in the summer, specially in Europe, not just pleasant winters.

You're talking to a warm weather person--someone who has a very deep personal stake in wiping out the joys of winter, fall, and Christmas for hard-working, God-fearing, red-blooded Americans of the Rust Belt.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 12:19:23 AM »

I believe that the Earth is getting warmer through both natural and man-made processes.  But, the US is contributing relatively little to the man-made part per-capita compared to other nations.  Regardless, I simply don't buy into the global warming hysteria.  If the Earth warms 5-10 degrees, all it will mean is more pleasant winters.  Florida and NYC aren't going to sink below the sea.  If places like that were, we would have started to see high-profile examples of that already, as the Earth has warmed several degrees.
are you aware of what happened the last time the earth warmed by 5-10 degrees from where we're at now?

Has this ever happened before? If so, what happened last time?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 12:21:34 AM »

And otherwise, I believe in climate change and I do think something has to be done about it and I wish the GOP would stop being stupid on the subject.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »

TL/DR: Global warming is real, but no big deal.
Oh, you mean like Miami Beach would have to raise their sewer system by twenty feet because its streets would otherwise be underwater? Yeah, already happened. Disappearing islands in the Pacific? Already happening. Melting ice passageways in Canada that can now let container ships in where fifty years ago you had to walk over the ice? Already happening.

Are you literally blind to news about this?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »

We're all gonna die.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 07:20:19 PM »

cap and trade sounds ok
Sam Smith
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »

It's a chinese hoax & the EPA should be eliminated.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2019, 03:30:46 PM by Laki »

I believe that the Earth is getting warmer through both natural and man-made processes.

Mostly by man-made processes, not to say entirely because it should in fact cool down because of lower solar activity.

But, the US is contributing relatively little to the man-made part per-capita compared to other nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_ecological_footprint
And the wikipedia page on ecological footprint per capita per income, USA is fifth after microstates, and Australia.

Regardless, I simply don't buy into the global warming hysteria.  If the Earth warms 5-10 degrees, all it will mean is more pleasant winters.  Florida and NYC aren't going to sink below the sea.  If places like that were, we would have started to see high-profile examples of that already, as the Earth has warmed several degrees.

Sea level is increasing, we have seen several examples in countries that do not have the resources to build dykes. Mass floods already taken place and more often than normally like in Indonesia, the Senegal West Coast and Venice that's getting flooded more often than not.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »

It's a chinese hoax & the EPA should be eliminated.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

But maybe science is also a hoax? Evolution theory is a hoax, The Earth is Flat Hoax, Nine Eleven was staged and we went never on the moon. And the Earth and Human civilization is the center of all of universe.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »

And otherwise, I believe in climate change and I do think something has to be done about it and I wish the GOP would stop being stupid on the subject.
Luckily you're not a partisan hack. I wish the GOP would do that as well. They're super stupid on the subject, but coal and oil companies and multinationals have them in their pocket.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies