North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:22:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 84659 times)
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: January 11, 2022, 04:53:28 PM »

Now it goes to the state supreme court, likely to be overturned there?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #901 on: January 11, 2022, 04:53:55 PM »

The ruling was unanimous so it includes the Democrat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #902 on: January 12, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2022, 03:07:04 PM by lfromnj »

This isn't a what about post by me. Note that steins map is when he was in the minority in 2010 .I just find it funny how once you push the 13th entirely into Wake what Democrats wanted in Raleigh 10 years ago is what the GOP prefers now.

Reminder that district 1 was thought to be required to be 50 % black along with 12 .  

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #903 on: January 12, 2022, 03:17:23 PM »

This isn't a what about post by me. Note that steins map is when he was in the minority in 2010 .I just find it funny how once you push the 13th entirely into Wake what Democrats wanted in Raleigh 10 years ago is what the GOP prefers now.

I'm sure you know this already, but Stein was trying to preserve the old Brad Miller 13th district, which linked Greensboro to Raleigh via touch-point contiguity.

Miller was able to do what Tim Moore couldn't, and gave himself a house seat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #904 on: January 12, 2022, 03:19:12 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2022, 03:28:26 PM by lfromnj »

I'm sure you know this already, but Stein was trying to preserve the old Brad Miller 13th district, which linked Greensboro to Raleigh via touch-point contiguity.

Yup i posted about it a few months ago when a few  here said it was only white conservative Democrats gerrymandering . Miller was anything but conservative of course. Overall Steins map just seems to be incumbency protection . Obviously Berger posting this map without the context on 1 and 12 is disingenuous  as those 2 were thought to be VRA required.  Demoxrats would have definitely been happier with a whole Mecklenburg district as even McCrory loses it in 2012 . I don't think anyone really cared about 1 as it mostly takes the blackest parts of 3. Maybe 3 might have been winnable for a non blue dog but Walter Jones kept it safe. The funnier thing is that 4 and 2 are relatively reasonable districts and the only difference is 13 shrinks entirely into Raleigh which therefore makes that a ok district.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #905 on: January 12, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »

Yup i posted about it a few months ago when a few  here said it was only white conservative Democrats gerrymandering . Miller was anything but conservative of course. Overall Steins map just seems to be incumbency protection . Obviously Berger posting this map without the context on 1 and 12 is disingenuous  as those 2 were thought to be VRA required.  Demoxrats would have definitely been happier with a whole Mecklenburg district as even McCrory loses it in 2012 . I don't think anyone really cared about 1 as it mostly takes the blackest parts of 3. Maybe 3 might have been winnable for a non blue dog but Walter Jones kept it safe. The funnier thing is that 4 and 2 are relatively reasonable districts and the only difference is 13 shrinks entirely into Raleigh which therefore makes that a ok district.
Anyone who thinks only white conservatives gerrmandered in NC is making two big mistakes. 1) not realizing that Democrats of all stripes gerrymandered the state with great regularity for over a century, and 2) thinking that gerrymandering is a "Republican" thing altogether.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #906 on: January 12, 2022, 04:48:20 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #907 on: January 13, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »

How can we expect the state supreme court to rule on this?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #908 on: January 13, 2022, 02:32:37 PM »

How can we expect the state supreme court to rule on this?

They’ll probably strike down the congressional maps and appoint a special master at the very least
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #909 on: January 14, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »

The North Carolina Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on February 2nd in the appeal of the trial court ruling upholding NC congressional and legislative plans.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #910 on: January 14, 2022, 03:28:23 PM »

The North Carolina Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on February 2nd in the appeal of the trial court ruling upholding NC congressional and legislative plans.

Looks like the D majority is determined to go down in a final blaze of glory. You love to see it!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #911 on: January 14, 2022, 06:40:37 PM »

If NC Rs impeach the court, even after they strike down maps, then we have to wait years before we have control of it again...while also still likely having to contend with GOP control of the legislature. What a tactical mistake this is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #912 on: January 15, 2022, 06:32:47 AM »

If NC Rs impeach the court, even after they strike down maps, then we have to wait years before we have control of it again...while also still likely having to contend with GOP control of the legislature. What a tactical mistake this is.

What good is a Democratic SC if it can be cowed by GOP blackmail?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #913 on: January 15, 2022, 06:46:16 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2022, 06:50:11 AM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

What good is a Democratic SC if it can be cowed by GOP blackmail?
What good is throwing away your leverage all for what is highly likely to be a failed gambit? It's better to concede ground so that you can fight another day.
Fighting for the sake of fighting is noble but dumb. Fighting at a time and place where you can expect to win is better at effecting change that actually helps the people.
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #914 on: January 15, 2022, 07:10:04 AM »

You need a 2/3rds majority to remove a justice. How do you conclude such a ridiculous powerplay would mean Dems waiting years for control? If anything, this would help Dems maintain control through popular backlash.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #915 on: January 15, 2022, 07:14:26 AM »

You need a 2/3rds majority to remove a justice. How do you conclude such a ridiculous powerplay would mean Dems waiting years for control? If anything, this would help Dems maintain control through popular backlash.
Wait, I thought the GOP had the votes to unilaterally impeach the D justices.
This is the first time I'm hearing about a 2/3 requirement.
I'm feeling a bit dumb right now.
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #916 on: January 15, 2022, 07:29:43 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2022, 07:35:32 AM by Ritz »

Impeachment is a majority vote in the House, but removal from office is a 2/3rds vote in the Senate. It's being floated as a nuclear option for redistricting because accused officials are temporarily suspended from office until the Senate's verdict.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #917 on: January 15, 2022, 08:11:07 AM »

Impeachment is a majority vote in the House, but removal from office is a 2/3rds vote in the Senate. It's being floated as a nuclear option for redistricting because accused officials are temporarily suspended from office until the Senate's verdict.
So, it's most akin to a temporary field advantage.
How soon is the Senate required to give its verdict?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #918 on: January 15, 2022, 09:16:24 AM »

So, it's most akin to a temporary field advantage.
How soon is the Senate required to give its verdict?

No such requirement.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #919 on: January 15, 2022, 09:35:56 AM »

So impeach, adjourn the trial, the high court is deadlocked, and thus emasculated. What a country!

This redistricting business is getting out of control. Really.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #920 on: January 15, 2022, 03:21:32 PM »

Posts have been confusing? What’s the breakdown right now and what will the final breakdown be? (Will maps be redrawn or what)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #921 on: January 15, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »

Posts have been confusing? What’s the breakdown right now and what will the final breakdown be? (Will maps be redrawn or what)

The NCSC granted cert on an appeal of a unanimous trial court ruling. Fairly certain the map is toast.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #922 on: January 16, 2022, 07:45:50 PM »

So here's a question I have: the 4th circuit is pretty liberal as of now. If the Republicans flip the state Supreme Court back and gerrymander the congressional districts again, why wouldn't the Democrats sue in federal court regarding the new NC-02 (old NC-01)? I realize the NAACP already sued because the legislature didn't use racial data but this seems less persuasive than simply saying that a district could have been drawn in Northeast North Carolina that would reliably elect the candidate of choice of the black population and it wasn't. Because of the 4th circuit I'd imagine success here would be more likely than the Texas or Alabama lawsuits. What would be the chances of a lawsuit like this?
UncleSam

« Reply #923 on: January 16, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »

So here's a question I have: the 4th circuit is pretty liberal as of now. If the Republicans flip the state Supreme Court back and gerrymander the congressional districts again, why wouldn't the Democrats sue in federal court regarding the new NC-02 (old NC-01)? I realize the NAACP already sued because the legislature didn't use racial data but this seems less persuasive than simply saying that a district could have been drawn in Northeast North Carolina that would reliably elect the candidate of choice of the black population and it wasn't. Because of the 4th circuit I'd imagine success here would be more likely than the Texas or Alabama lawsuits. What would be the chances of a lawsuit like this?
Federal court doesn’t work because it ends up before the Supreme Court, who already ruled on the issue. Besides, even if the judges on the federal bench were all partisan hacks, it would be a pretty awful look to issue an opinion that directly flew in the face of a prior Supreme Court decision.

Basically SCOTUS said that gerrymandering litigation needs to be contained to the state level, so that’s why all of these lawsuits are now handled by state supreme courts.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #924 on: January 16, 2022, 08:15:22 PM »

Federal court doesn’t work because it ends up before the Supreme Court, who already ruled on the issue. Besides, even if the judges on the federal bench were all partisan hacks, it would be a pretty awful look to issue an opinion that directly flew in the face of a prior Supreme Court decision.

Basically SCOTUS said that gerrymandering litigation needs to be contained to the state level, so that’s why all of these lawsuits are now handled by state supreme courts.

That only applies to cases that argue on the merit of partisan gerrymandering.   Racial gerrymandering (which would be the case in NC-1) can still be argued in Federal Court.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies