Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:09:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23042 times)
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« on: February 25, 2020, 05:10:16 AM »

I'll go over some Chinese films, since that's most of what I'm watching lately.

A few days ago I watched 江湖儿女 (Transl: Sons and Daughters of the Jianghu, English title: Ash is Purest White). Kind of a crime film. A mob boss and his girlfriend get into some trouble, he shoots someone and she ends taking the fall for it, and spends years in prison only to find that he's left behind that lifestyle and has a new girlfriend. As he develops health problems, it gets to be a very emotionally compelling story. Great cinematography.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0fKX6VhovQ

Today I'm planning on downing some beers and baijiu and watching the patriotic film 我和我的祖国 (Transl: Me and My Motherland, English title: My People, My Country). It is kind of an anthology of short stories meant to show the spirit of Chinese people for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China that was celebrated last October. It intrigues me because it is kind of a patriotic film - people here would say a "main melody" film, meant to convey emotionally the Party's message - that is more low-level and personal than your typical patriotic films which are filled with war and grandiose stuff. Might post about that later if anyone is interested.
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 05:37:44 AM »

Today I'm planning on downing some beers and baijiu and watching the patriotic film 我和我的祖国 (Transl: Me and My Motherland, English title: My People, My Country). It is kind of an anthology of short stories meant to show the spirit of Chinese people for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China that was celebrated last October. It intrigues me because it is kind of a patriotic film - people here would say a "main melody" film, meant to convey emotionally the Party's message - that is more low-level and personal than your typical patriotic films which are filled with war and grandiose stuff. Might post about that later if anyone is interested.

Continuing on "My People, My Country", it's very impressive how the film manages to tie in small stories about regular people into many of the most important events in the history of the People's Republic. One story is about some Chinese ambassadors' insistence that the handover of Hong Kong occur at midnight (ie, at the soonest possible time) and the ceremony around it. Another very good one is about a scientist working on the first atomic bomb in China who sacrificed his life for this development, and his saying goodbye to his former lover. The later ones were some of the best - one about a man giving a ticket to the Olympic opening ceremony in 2008 to a boy whose father passed away in the Sichuan Earthquake, and another is a great story about two delinquent kids born into poverty who see Shenzhou 11 spacecraft land in China and are very emotionally moved by it.

You can see how it falls into the category of Chinese "main melody" films in that each of the stories seems to tie in, in some respect, to one of the Communist Party of China's flagship accomplishments, and more significantly: how these events affected common people. The story about the delinquent kids ties into the CCP's poverty alleviation program, to give one example. The film almost perfectly reflects the concept of the Chinese Dream in Xi Jinping's political thinking.

Last night I watched The Dreamers, a French/American film about an American student in Paris in the late 60s, his involvement with the French new wave junkie scene as well as student activism. It's hard to say a lot about it, the ethos of the film in general, reminds me greatly of the time I spent in Russia and the friends I made there. I highly recommend it, but I wish I had more of a concrete way to do so.

Tonight, probably: Lost in Translation.
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 12:37:36 AM »

A good, solid film that is generally overrated and deserves some but not all of the praise it gets.

I really liked it, personally. I have a hard time giving films "ratings" and that kind of thing but it hit close to home for me as an expat. Really captures a certain feeling of alienation that's hard to place. A lot of atmosphere in that film.
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:14:13 AM »

Partly inspired by "My People, My Country" a few days back, I decided to go for nostalgia for the motherland today. So I ordered hamburgers and French fries, and I decided to watch Forrest Gump. Not for the first time in my life, but probably for the first time that I was actually able to be conscious of an understand it. So at least like 10 years.

Man, that's a good film. I guess most people here have already seen it and there's not much to say. But man.
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 12:21:27 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machuca

Machuca (2004) is a Chilean film taking place during the CIA's 1973 coup which deposed Salvador Allende and introduced military dictatorship to Chile. Despite the politically charged nature of the subject, it does not concern itself so much with the boring formalized aspects of politics so much as presenting a contrast between the hyper-privileged life of upper-caste, generally white Chileans who viewed Allende as a tyrant for threatening their way of life, and the shantytown-residing lower-caste Chileans, who viewed Allende as a hero for giving them the opportunity to advance in life.

In particular, we're shown the life of a white boy from a wealthy family, going to a private Catholic school which is undergoing racial integration as some Indian boys are allowed into the class. After some initial bullying, the white boy, Gonzalo, and an Indian boy - Pedro Machuca, become friends, making money by opportunistically selling political flags at both left-wing and right-wing rallies. We see the stark contrast of family culture of both boys' families - a fundamental division in viewpoints coming from living in fundamentally different environments.

The subject of race relations in South America is something I've seen firsthand and feel strongly about. I think this film does a good job of portraying the human side of it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies