Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:41:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23166 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 09, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »

I finally saw Parasite. It's my new personal favorite movie of the year, edging out Jojo Rabbit, and unlike Jojo Rabbit I can actually see it winning best picture because 1. it has the ever-elusive quality of "buzz" and 2. it's less funny (although still very funny, at least in the first half) and the Academy is allergic to comedy. I think it's fair to say that it's not necessarily a character-driven movie as such, but not everything has to be; thrillers aren't a genre that (usually; something like Notorious would be an exception) can afford to luxuriate in meticulous character-building the way something like Marriage Story (or even 1917 with its see-sawing between gory trauma and rural idylls) can.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »

I finally saw Parasite. It's my new personal favorite movie of the year, edging out Jojo Rabbit, and unlike Jojo Rabbit I can actually see it winning best picture because 1. it has the ever-elusive quality of "buzz" and 2. it's less funny (although still very funny, at least in the first half) and the Academy is allergic to comedy. I think it's fair to say that it's not necessarily a character-driven movie as such, but not everything has to be; thrillers aren't a genre that (usually; something like Notorious would be an exception) can afford to luxuriate in meticulous character-building the way something like Marriage Story (or even 1917 with its see-sawing between gory trauma and rural idylls) can.
Despite the characters being somewhat two-dimensional, except for maybe Mr. Kim and Kevin, the actors do a REALLY good job of implying character depth with their performances. Especially Mrs. Park which is a performance I LOVED.

Mrs. Park's and Ki-jeong/Jessica's actresses were both snubbed big time in the Supporting Actress category.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:20:26 PM »

With all the technical categories accounted for, 1917 has three Oscars; Ford v Ferrari two; and Once upon a Time in Hollywood, Little Women, and Bombshell one each within those categories.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:54:01 PM »

I've never really "gotten" your tastes in media, jdb.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 11:02:20 PM »

My guess is he's seen it and just wasn't crazy about it; he gave it a mediocre rating in John Dule's thread.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 11:12:30 PM »

Joaquin Phoenix’s speech was just...out there. Environmentalism isn’t the type of thing to talk about considering what the Oscar was for.

Especially given that the particular type of environmentalist rhetoric he used was dredged from the darkest depths of Vegan Tumblr. Yeesh.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:11 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaand Parasite goes yard. Love that journey for us! ("Us" is people who've wasted years of our lives writing academic papers on East Asian movies.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 11:31:53 PM »

Congrats, #BongHive Tongue

Side Note: Of course, the Academy recognizes the first film by Bong Joon-Ho I've seen that I didn't absolutely love (Mother, Snowpiercer, The Host, and especially Okja were great).

I haven't seen Okja yet, but Snowpiercer's a bona fide masterpiece. I might rewatch it tomorrow.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:47:03 AM »

I went to see Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I was expecting to like it a lot, and I certainly wanted to given what FFs the director and stars seem to be, but it dealt with some sensitive subject matter in ways that I found acutely upsetting (not necessarily morally depraved, but upsetting), so I ended up finding it a chore to watch. I was left thinking that perhaps we should have a shutdown of lesbian art films entering our country from France until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

I also saw Birds of Prey over the weekend and loved it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 10:30:05 PM »

I'm not one to mindlessly parrot classy-person conventional wisdom about what are and aren't good movies; I think there are serious arguments to be made in defense of movies like Shock Treatment and Showgirls. But I'm not going to loudly and unpleasantly insist that awards shows need to acknowledge these movies (lol. lmao, even), and I'm certainly not going to stick up for focus-grouped-to-hell-and-back hyper-blockbusters as if the people who made Avengers Wars 69 are suffering for not having won Best Adapted Screenplay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies