Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:32:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23276 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: January 04, 2020, 05:41:56 PM »

Not a single nomination for the DuPont movie? Not good, folks. This is why our country is dying. They're poisoning us, and Hollywood doesn't even care when the elite cabal of criminals gets exposed for harming us.

The bottom line is nointy noin percent of us have toxins in our blood, most especially people like the farmers and coal miners, but Hollywood doesn't care that we miss our carpets. That's the bottom line.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »

Where does SNL get off calling something as beautiful as "The Irishman" a white male rage movie? Where did such lack of taste/absolute derangement come from? Do these 'comedians' just get pleasure from irking everybody? I really fail to understand this culture.

The Irishman should be co-movie of the decade
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »

Where does SNL get off calling something as beautiful as "The Irishman" a white male rage movie? Where did such lack of taste/absolute derangement come from? Do these 'comedians' just get pleasure from irking everybody? I really fail to understand this culture.

The Irishman should be co-movie of the decade
It's SNL... don't they usually just poke fun at things? I don't see a problem unless they're being 100% serious.

I don't think they were.

I watched the episode in context last night, and it was fine. The Twitter excerpt singled out just The Joker and The Irishman without poking fun at every nominee and the whole academy. I didn't think it deserves to be singled out in a way that wholly misunderstands such a beautiful and touching plot.

The initial outlook more like the deranged Robert Mueller Christmas song obsessed subculture that is only remotely humorous to a very tiny slice of the population.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »

Wow, owning an immigrant for not knowing enough languages. Great job, Hulu marketing team Roll Eyes *cringe*
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 12:12:09 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2023, 12:15:43 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Dolly de Leon snubbed on Best Supporting Actress nominees! I adored what she brought to the table in Triangle of Sadness - really elevated the film to greatness and made it the one actually high quality satire on idle wealth of the many attempts in the past year. But this is one of the deepest years I can recall for this category, so it's fine that Stephanie Hsu got it too. Kerry Condon was my favorite part of Banshees, although mostly for the story/visual direction. People are upset Curtis was nominated, but she was unforgettably iconic in limited action.

I'd be happy with any of the Best Original Screenplay nominees taking home most of the awards this year, aside from Fabelmans. Definitely my four favourite films of the last year - pending the US release of Close this week, with Fabelmans checking in at #8 - also behind del Toro's Pinocchio and the two foreign film frontrunners.

Seems like they got a lot right this year (so far)! Even if T'Chenka is partial to Babylon...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 10:45:53 AM »

2019 with Parasite (which wasn’t seen by many in US but it was an exceptionally GREAT movie) are the ones that stand out to me.

This is just blind anti-American bias if you honestly think that. It was the third biggest US Best Picture winner of the 2010s (after The King's Speech and Argo - certainly ahead of Green Book when you account for streaming), and given how poorly the reputation of the other two has aged since their victories, it is probably the most discussed film outside of EEAAO even years five after its release.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 12:28:10 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2024, 12:31:51 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

2019 with Parasite (which wasn’t seen by many in US but it was an exceptionally GREAT movie) are the ones that stand out to me.

This is just blind anti-American bias if you honestly think that. It was the third biggest US Best Picture winner of the 2010s (after The King's Speech and Argo - certainly ahead of Green Book when you account for streaming), and given how poorly the reputation of the other two has aged since their victories, it is probably the most discussed film outside of EEAAO even years five after its release.

What? Absolutely not. EEAAO, Shape of Water and even freaking 12 Years a Slave all had bigger box office in US than Parasite as well.

Parasite did great box office in US for a foreign film but it wasn’t even more watched  like it would have if it was in English, because of the natural limitations of being a foreign film.

Only reason so many BP winners have even lower box office than Parasite goes back to my original point: Many of the films the Academy embraced last years were films that average people didn’t care about, besides not being that great or memorable either.

Parasite is the only BP winner from last years that I consider truly a masterpiece, so it should have been much more seen because it isn’t a small film or a slow watch either.

Moonlight was also pretty great but naturally a more intimate smaller film that wouldn’t get much of an audience.

Parasite's biggest box office week was 14 February 2020. It experienced an unnatural decline in box office revenue since the whole country closed down about 3 weeks later. It was immediately made available for streaming in April, and basically everyone watched it via streaming services due to theatres being closed. It would have passed both of these films (even without its clearly superior streaming numbers in an era defined by streaming) - although certainly not ahead of EEAAO, which is not part of the 2010s.

Not to mention Shape of Water got a 5 million bump post-win.

I sadly can't argue that The Holdovers was more viewed than Sideways  as it only had a three week theatre run and was released on Peacock, a service which only diehard Notre Dame fans typically subscribe to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies