Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:39:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23309 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:19 PM »

JOJO RABBIT (no spoilers)

This movie lacks truly top-tier directing, cinematography, acting, score, and the script isn't perfectly paced. This is not an "artistic masterpiece". All of the things I just mentioned are actually pretty good, but not at that very top level.

That being said, this was a DAMNED good film and I absolutely loved it. People worried that this film is offensive need to go see it. It's great, and it's message is great. Thomasin Mackenzie has a long career in Hollywood ahead of her - she upstaged both Johansson and Rockwell. BIG recommendation for anybody reading this to go and check this film out. Best Picture nomination is expected and it better not get overlooked.

Just saw it today, it's brilliant.  Belonging more to the 'coming of age in war' genre than to satire, the humor serves to frame Jojo's experience.  You can see how a young boy might fall under the spell of the propoganda, and his discovery of it an empty shell that opposes what he truly loves.  A few moments nearly brought me tears. Visually beautiful and the score was great as well. 

Thomasin is excellent, I loved her in Leave No Trace - my favorite film of last year and unfairly passed over by the Academy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »

Joaquin Phoenix’s speech was just...out there. Environmentalism isn’t the type of thing to talk about considering what the Oscar was for.

Especially given that the particular type of environmentalist rhetoric he used was dredged from the darkest depths of Vegan Tumblr. Yeesh.

You can tell he's genuinely passionate about it, and it's not just the thing he cares about because it's the trendy and popular thing to care about while preaching to the choir of 90% of the people in the room.  So I didn't mind it compared to most political Oscar speeches.

---------

I thought "Stand Up" was going to win for best song. "Glory" was another black history themed song that won a few years ago that wasn't nearly as musically engaging or lyrically powerful.  As someone who likes a lot of Elton John's stuff, "Love Me Again" doesn't do it for me, though tbf I haven't seen the movie so I can't judge it within the context.

Not sure how much I want to see a movie called "Parasite,"  sometimes I get grossed out easily.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies