Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23329 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: January 24, 2023, 11:23:02 AM »

This cycle seems to have a higher number of ‘popular’ films, or at least ones that were discussed outside of film circles before the award season, than previous years.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 07:17:55 PM »

Never watched one of these in full before. How long is Jimothy Kimmel going to go on for?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 10:29:50 PM »

And there's the sweep. Wow.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 12:34:29 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2023, 12:50:34 AM by Sestak »

7 out of the 8 "above the line" categories - the "biggest" and "most important" awards - were won by A24 Studios films. It win Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Actress, Actor, Supporting Actor. Only Adapted Screenplay was won by a different studio, MGM.

As a massive fan of A24 Studios, this makes me happy.

Of all the categories open to live-action, English-language, feature length films, A24 won an absolute majority - 9 of 17. Incredible performance.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 03:22:28 PM »

Oppenheimer is 90% or higher chance to win Director. If it somehow loses, I THINK Flower Moon would be the second in line to win, but honestly that's not 100% clear at this point. There's some world out there where Oppenheimer loses against all odds and the movie that wins isn't Flower Moon.

In terms of Actor... Cillian Murphy, Bradley Cooper and Paul Giamatti are the three guys fighting to win this award. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jeffrey Wright are both likely to be nominated, but not with a good chance to win.

Flower Moon's best chances to win a (big, non-tech) Oscar is Actress, by far.

Adapted Screenplay is probably it's second best chance, but it's odds are not good.

Director would be third best chance.

Actor and Supporting Actor are very tiny chances to win. But good chance to get nominated.

All of this is based on what internet nerds are predicting, past precedents, etc. Take it with a grain of salt if you want. Sadly, I follow this kind of closely, so I'm confident in all of this. Things CAN change (pay attention to: DGA PGA Critics Choice SAG and BAFTA) but as of right now, it looks like this IMO.

Not even sure Cooper will get nominated for Best Actor.  He was decidedly meh and Maestro was a pretty bad movie.

The entire reason Maestro was made was to get Bradley Cooper an Oscar. It probably doesn’t have the steam to get there all the way, but when you’re as well liked in Hollywood as Cooper seems to be, this type of thing generally garners at least a nomination.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 09:11:32 AM »

Nyad just had to eat two spots and ruin everyone’s day, huh.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 01:57:56 AM »

Can we seriously stop clogging this thread with this dumb argument? We have just had a dozen or so films get a decent haul of nominations - and most of them are excellent! Let's celebrate them.

Will start with this one - with her nomination for Killers of the Flower Moon, Thelma Schoonmaker is now the most nominated editor in Oscars history, having been named nine times. She's also tied for the most wins at three.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 01:03:34 PM »

Killers of the Flower Moon being blanked was terrible; Stone's performance was very good but I would much rather Gladstone have won. Robert Downey Jr. winning was also bad, though inevitable - I've already posted my thoughts on his performance.

Everything else was pretty good! The highlight for me is Anatomy of a Fall winning screenplay; extremely well deserved.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies