Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:33:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23093 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: January 08, 2020, 05:05:21 AM »

The Irishman was screwed over, I think
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:35:10 AM »

Having seen 1917, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Visually, it's a stunning film, but that is basically it, from what I saw. I couldn't really get behind the charcters at all. I just found it hard to get into. What i can't get around is why do you hire Colin Firth, Mark Strong and Benedict Cumberbatch, and then give them only a handful of lines and a tiny bit of screentime?

Honestly, it's not a bad film, but I do think it's pretty overrated. I still think Journey's End is a better World War One film. For all the talk of 1917 being about trench warfare, it really wasn't. Journey's End was able to do a lot more with a lot less, and with fewer big names in the cast.

Not a bad film, but vastly overrated and inferior to The Irishman I think. 7/10.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:29:16 AM »

I still think that Journey's End is the way to go for a character-driven WW1 drama.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 09:27:37 AM »

I still think that Journey's End is the way to go for a character-driven WW1 drama.
I assume you mean the 1930 original and not the very recent remake? Never heard of this film but I'll add it to my list of of films to keep an eye out for. I'm not very knowledgeable on pre-70s cinema.

They're both very similar, I can say safely. I mean, they both draw from the same play script.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:54:26 AM »

I have only seen 'Marriage Story' and 'The Irishman' of all the nominees...and 'How To train Your Dragon 3,' so I don't have too many stakes in this year's ceremony. All I can say is that I'm surprised that the Academy didn't give a shock Best Actor nod to Adam Sandler in 'Uncut Gems' and that 'Frozen II' didn't get nominated for Best Animated Feature. Everything else seems about in line with my expectations.

I'm also glad that there is no host again. That format worked really well last year in my opinion. It kept a better flow and helped the ceremony move faster.

Nostalgia Critic made a video a while back that even on the rare occasion Sandler makes a good film, he gets no consideration for it because important people feel like they have to hate it.

That's a skin-deep reading at best though, so take it with a grain of salt.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:24:22 AM »

And when it comes to politics Phillips wants to eat his cake and have it too. On one hand he clearly has a political message, even if it's presented in a superficial and heavy-handed way, but on the other he has Arthur declaring that he is just an apolitical clown.  
I picked up Joker on Bluray last week and watched the special features. Phillips claims that his singular vision was to show how a guy like Joker can become Joker in a completely real character study devoid of fantasy or comic elements. There are very clearly political themes and messages in the movie, but IF we take Phillips at his word, this message isn't important to him outside of the fact that it best serves his stated goal. He even specifically states in one of the special features that he "wasn't trying to make a political commentary".

I would be very, very careful about taking directors at their word. How many times did Romero flip-flop on Night of the Living Dead?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 02:59:57 AM »

I;m personally looking forward to seeing The Current War when it comes out.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »

I;m personally looking forward to seeing The Current War when it comes out.
I've been interested for 3 years now, but it got bad reviews and my hype has dropped considerably.

It's a good film about US history. I really enjoyed it.

The advent of his abundant electrical inventions takes the story in multiple directions.

I try and avoid ratings. You end up missing really good films.
My problem is that I always have so many films that I want to watch that I have to miss some in order to watch others. Those that I am truly hyped up about I will watch regardless, but others where my interest level is "medium", I sometimes put on the back-burner if the reviews are bad.

I don't really pay attention to reviews. For instance, they loved 1917, and I just couldn't see the fuss over it. They hated Battle: Los Angeles, but I actually quite liked it.

I'll go see The Current War because the whole thing is interesting to me and i'm a one-eyed Tom Holland fan.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »

Went back to watch Amazing Grace yesterday. Absolutely fantastic.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 10:22:23 AM »

I finally saw Killers of the Flower Moon and was very disappointed. There was little drama, little suspense, little tension because you knew from the start who was going to do what. So it’s just a series of cold killings of characters you are barely introduced to and don’t care about shown over and over again to the point you become numb to it. All the while not really understanding Leo’s motivation at all, he just seemed like a total idiot, and De Niro seemed like a cartoon villain. Also Lily Gladstone’s performance has to be the most overrated of all-time. THIS is getting Oscar buzz? She just stares blankly off into space and lies in bed for most of the movie. Her few lines are monotone and emotionless. I never got any sense of romance between her and Leo, I was just told they were supposed to have a connection I guess.

I was shocked to see something so… bad from Scorsese. It’s like he tried to make a Western but couldn’t help himself from making it a gangster/mob movie like Goodfellas, and it just didn’t work for me. Also the Indians are basically props while the story is told from the perspective of the bad guys; how is this getting praise for giving voices to marginalized people or whatever again? It’s just another Scorsese/DiCaprio/De Niro gangster movie. Yes I know it’s a true story but that doesn’t mean you have to tell it like this. I would have preferred to see it from the perspective of the early FBI investigators uncovering what happened, would have been more engaging probably.

Anyway, Oppenheimer was MUCH better. Hell, I think I even enjoyed Barbie more! Now that’s a surprise.

Lmao, Oppenheimer was not better than KOTFM by any stretch of the imagination. Oppenheimer was ponderous and overblown; every single second of the movie has an overbearing, self-important musical score designed to telegraph just how important the events are. The whole point of KOTFM is that the scheme is discussed as if it’s nothing out of the ordinary. This shows how pliable, manipulable people like DiCaprio’s character can be roped into committing evil acts. The movie is about the banality of evil, which is why it chooses subtlety— not something a Nolan fan could understand.

That may have been "the point" but if so I got "the point" very early on and then it just started feeling repetitive. Just didn't make for a very entertaining movie to watch for 3 and a half hours, unlike some of Scorsese's other works which hit on similar themes but do so in a more engrossing way.

Just my opinion man, you know I respect yours so why not respect mine? Sure Nolan is a bit bombastic, but so was Wagner. Doesn't mean you can't create great art just like more subtle works can be.

Literally none of Scorsese's other films hit on this theme aside from maybe The Irishman. The whole point is that his past films have always glorified his criminal protagonists to some degree-- Travis Bickle and Jordan Belfort are "literally me" heroes to mentally ill teenage boys, and even Rupert Pupkin is somewhat admirable for his commitment to achieving his goal. KOTFM is instead about a group of people with no admirable traits. No one will quote or imitate them. Nobody will relate to them as "cool." In this sense the movie is a much greater achievement than his past crime thrillers, because it succeeds in unequivocally denouncing its own characters. This is very difficult for a movie to do, given that almost anything that happens on the screen is inevitably glorified to some degree.

Why don't I respect your opinion? Simple: I like to start drama and cause arguments about movies. This is because I'm an asshole.

I think both are excellent films in their own right.  Oppenheimer succeeded at what it wanted to be, so did KOTFM. Personally they're two of the best films I've seen in the last fifteen years.

I do happen to agree with the point about Scorsese dropping the hammer on the whole idea that the mob is a good way to live in his more recent films, but there is an argument if it's too little, too late now. I'll let that be decided by people more intelligent than me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 06:36:14 PM »

recreational outrage over Oscar noms?  that's a relief, many were worried that we were in the wrong timeline

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this take.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 07:42:13 PM »

Disney can afford the best swag bags in the business, so it's hard to see how Marvel would be at a disadvantage if that were the problem. They already hand out goodies, toys, and pre-screening tickets to YouTube "critics" to generate buzz, and to tremendous success. Could it be that... the Avengers movies are just bad?

You are so obsessed with your Marvel hate-boner that you're unable to get any point I'm trying to make for two pages now.
Take a cold shower and come back.

I'm just trying to get you to carry on the conversation you started. You haven't replied to a single point I've made.

Trying to pass your opinion for fact isn't making a point.
The Avengers movies got great reviews and grossed billions of dollars. That's not what bad movies do.
You don't like them? Fine. There are after all people who think the Godfather and Citizen Kane are crap.
But don't try to argue that your opinion is the right one and everyone else's is wrong. This is just obnoxious and shows what an entitled brat you are.

How about both of you cool off and let people enjoy what they enjoy without feeling the need to belittle them for it?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 07:52:17 PM »

How about both of you cool off and let people enjoy what they enjoy without feeling the need to belittle them for it?

Cut the both sides BS.
Show me where I belittled anybody's opinion.
It's other people who declare holy war when someone doesn't accept their opinion as the gospel of truth.

And you're equally quick to snap back, which just shut the argument down.

How is anyone's life on here impacted by liking a movie you don't like? How is anyone's life on here impacted by not liking a movie you like?

Both of you just cool off. Neither of your lives are impacted by it, and I can assure you, neither are anyone else's.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 08:24:29 PM »

Cut the both sides BS.
It's other people who declare holy war when someone doesn't accept their opinion as the gospel of truth.

How is anyone's life on here impacted by liking a movie you don't like? How is anyone's life on here impacted by not liking a movie you like?

Both of you just cool off. Neither of your lives are impacted by it, and I can assure you, neither are anyone else's.

Who said it's impacting anyone's lives? I like arguing about movies and giving my opinions on them. I'm trying to start a conversation with this Greek geek about the different technology used in Star Wars versus the Avengers movies because it's a subject that interests me. It's hardly my fault if he takes everything I say as a personal attack.

In between slagging off fans of the Marvel movies as less intelligent.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 10:17:55 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2024, 10:21:28 PM by GoTfan »

Cut the both sides BS.

Who said it's impacting anyone's lives? I like arguing about movies and giving my opinions on them. I'm trying to start a conversation with this Greek geek about the different technology used in Star Wars versus the Avengers movies because it's a subject that interests me. It's hardly my fault if he takes everything I say as a personal attack.

In between slagging off fans of the Marvel movies as less intelligent.

Gee, you're right-- I take it back. Marvel fans are actually smarter than the people who vote in the Oscars. No clue where I got that idea from.

Point to where I said that. I can be fan of the franchise and still acknowledge the issue without being angry at people for disagreeing with me.

Both you and Lyndon are responsible here. Yes, he is way too quick to jump down people's throats for disagreeing with him, but I don't thing being passive-aggressive and then playing innocent is really helpful either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies