Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:57:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23356 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 31, 2019, 06:30:51 PM »

The Goldfinch shouldn't be overlooked here.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 10:56:28 PM »

Puss in Boots is probably gonna win for Animated Feature. Dreamworks is the usual go-to if Pixar/Disney slack.

I'm more interested in The Razzies tbh.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 02:44:56 PM »

I am also surprised that 'Turning Red' didn't win for Best Animated Feature. Maybe the Academy didn't want to make the ceremony too China-centric.

Pixar already has won that award way too often lol, sometimes not really deserving the win like in 2009, 2012, 2020 and arguably 2015 and 2019 too. I like Pixar a lot but there are tons of good animation studios and animation films out there that didn't get the credit they deserve because Pixar often was a lock for the award.

Up was more than deserving. As was Inside Out in 2015.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 11:26:19 AM »

Shapiro's opinions on film are almost as terrible as his opinions on politics, but he's right about most of those films being forgettable. Aside from EEAAO, Parasite, and Birdman, the Oscar winners of the past fifteen years have fallen out of favor pretty rapidly. The Academy tries to award the "safe" and "crowd-pleasing" options, but in the process they ignore the fact that the actual "best" picture of any given year is typically experimental, innovative, unique, and a deviation from the norm. In the end, the "safe" picks please no one. Audiences forget about them within a few years, and it's the edgy and outside-the-box films that wind up making a lasting impact on pop culture.

It isn't always easy to see which films will be widely remembered in a few decades-- but sometimes it's obvious. Plenty of movies come along that clearly revolutionize the industry's storytelling (Pulp Fiction) or technology (Star Wars) or both (Citizen Kane), and they almost always go ignored at the Oscars. I'm sure Green Book was a fine film, but I sincerely doubt it was the most creative or boundary-pushing film of 2018.

The Shape of Water isn't forgettable at all, and definitely not a "safe" choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies