Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 22536 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »

King TChenka got me curious about this subject, so here's one site's predictions on the next Oscar favorites, with their release month and a short explanation provided by me:
They should also have MINARI, which debuted 2 or 3 weeks ago at the Sundance Film Festival and won several awards. Lots of people are talking Oscars for it, and it has an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars on Letterboxd. There are reviews online already.

MINARI - Lee Isaac Chung’s “Minari” is a personal story of tradition and family set in 1980s Arkansas about a Korean American family moving to a rural region. But it gets its title from a vegetable or plant very common in Korean culture. --- Brian Welk - The Wrap.

By the way, Letterboxd is a GREAT website and app for movie-lovers, and I trust the average ratings there way more than Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB. I recommend anyone download it and we can follow each other, or just sign up at the website if you don't want to download an app. I have ranked lists from every year of movies and lists of upcoming movies I'm anticipating.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2020, 02:59:57 AM »

I;m personally looking forward to seeing The Current War when it comes out.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2020, 05:42:27 AM »

Everyone in the France's version of the Academy have quit after nominating the child ass rapist for 12 awards.  BBC
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2020, 07:56:07 AM »

I've been interested for 3 years now, but it got bad reviews and my hype has dropped considerably.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2020, 04:11:09 AM »

I just saw Downsizing (2017), directed by Alexander Payne and starring Matt Damon.

... what the f__k was that? Has anybody else seen this trainwreck? Christ.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »

I just saw Downsizing (2017), directed by Alexander Payne and starring Matt Damon.

... what the f__k was that? Has anybody else seen this trainwreck? Christ.

Yes. It's a shame because Alexander Payne is one of my favorite directors, I like or love all of his other films and this one had a ton of potential. The concept is great and I enjoyed the first half, but then it seems to have forgotten about it, especially once they introduced one of the most annoying Asian stereotypes I have ever seen in a film, and became a didactic message film about climate change. Payne has made message films before, but he has always done it much better and with much more subtlety.

It was one of the biggest disappointments of the year it came out.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2020, 05:10:16 AM »

I'll go over some Chinese films, since that's most of what I'm watching lately.

A few days ago I watched 江湖儿女 (Transl: Sons and Daughters of the Jianghu, English title: Ash is Purest White). Kind of a crime film. A mob boss and his girlfriend get into some trouble, he shoots someone and she ends taking the fall for it, and spends years in prison only to find that he's left behind that lifestyle and has a new girlfriend. As he develops health problems, it gets to be a very emotionally compelling story. Great cinematography.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0fKX6VhovQ

Today I'm planning on downing some beers and baijiu and watching the patriotic film 我和我的祖国 (Transl: Me and My Motherland, English title: My People, My Country). It is kind of an anthology of short stories meant to show the spirit of Chinese people for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China that was celebrated last October. It intrigues me because it is kind of a patriotic film - people here would say a "main melody" film, meant to convey emotionally the Party's message - that is more low-level and personal than your typical patriotic films which are filled with war and grandiose stuff. Might post about that later if anyone is interested.
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: February 29, 2020, 05:37:44 AM »

Today I'm planning on downing some beers and baijiu and watching the patriotic film 我和我的祖国 (Transl: Me and My Motherland, English title: My People, My Country). It is kind of an anthology of short stories meant to show the spirit of Chinese people for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China that was celebrated last October. It intrigues me because it is kind of a patriotic film - people here would say a "main melody" film, meant to convey emotionally the Party's message - that is more low-level and personal than your typical patriotic films which are filled with war and grandiose stuff. Might post about that later if anyone is interested.

Continuing on "My People, My Country", it's very impressive how the film manages to tie in small stories about regular people into many of the most important events in the history of the People's Republic. One story is about some Chinese ambassadors' insistence that the handover of Hong Kong occur at midnight (ie, at the soonest possible time) and the ceremony around it. Another very good one is about a scientist working on the first atomic bomb in China who sacrificed his life for this development, and his saying goodbye to his former lover. The later ones were some of the best - one about a man giving a ticket to the Olympic opening ceremony in 2008 to a boy whose father passed away in the Sichuan Earthquake, and another is a great story about two delinquent kids born into poverty who see Shenzhou 11 spacecraft land in China and are very emotionally moved by it.

You can see how it falls into the category of Chinese "main melody" films in that each of the stories seems to tie in, in some respect, to one of the Communist Party of China's flagship accomplishments, and more significantly: how these events affected common people. The story about the delinquent kids ties into the CCP's poverty alleviation program, to give one example. The film almost perfectly reflects the concept of the Chinese Dream in Xi Jinping's political thinking.

Last night I watched The Dreamers, a French/American film about an American student in Paris in the late 60s, his involvement with the French new wave junkie scene as well as student activism. It's hard to say a lot about it, the ethos of the film in general, reminds me greatly of the time I spent in Russia and the friends I made there. I highly recommend it, but I wish I had more of a concrete way to do so.

Tonight, probably: Lost in Translation.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #233 on: February 29, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »

My controversial opinion:

A good, solid film that is generally overrated and deserves some but not all of the praise it gets.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #234 on: February 29, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »

I've been interested for 3 years now, but it got bad reviews and my hype has dropped considerably.

It's a good film about US history. I really enjoyed it.

The advent of his abundant electrical inventions takes the story in multiple directions.

I try and avoid ratings. You end up missing really good films.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #235 on: February 29, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »

The advent of his abundant electrical inventions takes the story in multiple directions.

My problem is that I always have so many films that I want to watch that I have to miss some in order to watch others. Those that I am truly hyped up about I will watch regardless, but others where my interest level is "medium", I sometimes put on the back-burner if the reviews are bad.
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2020, 12:37:36 AM »

A good, solid film that is generally overrated and deserves some but not all of the praise it gets.

I really liked it, personally. I have a hard time giving films "ratings" and that kind of thing but it hit close to home for me as an expat. Really captures a certain feeling of alienation that's hard to place. A lot of atmosphere in that film.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2020, 04:30:35 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 05:03:40 AM by Meclazine »

My problem is that I always have so many films that I want to watch that I have to miss some in order to watch others. Those that I am truly hyped up about I will watch regardless, but others where my interest level is "medium", I sometimes put on the back-burner if the reviews are bad.

Just watched:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019)

"Architect-turned-recluse Bernadette hates people, she hates leaving the house, and more than anything, she hates the other parents at her 15-year-old daughter Bee's school."

Amazing film (with average reviews and no real reason to watch it).

If you are after a film where you have family and children watching together, this is a classic family film.

Very clever film making.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2020, 05:12:15 AM »

Just watched:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019)

"Architect-turned-recluse Bernadette hates people, she hates leaving the house, and more than anything, she hates the other parents at her 15-year-old daughter Bee's school."

Amazing film (with average reviews and no real reason to watch it).

If you are after a film where you have family and children watching together, this is a classic family film.

Very clever film making.
Nice to hear a very positive review. I'm a big fan of the director and Cate Banchett.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2020, 01:23:24 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2020, 01:40:09 AM by Hyena-Pack The Sandernistas »

Watched a few films recently, though I'd share my ratings. I'm a bit of a harsh reviewer, but to me a perfectly fine average movie with no big issues is a 3 out of 5 star film. To me, 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5 is definitely worth a watch. I don't hand out 4 stars like candy on Halloween, and a full 5 stars is quite rare.

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) - 4.50 / 5 stars

THE INVISIBLE MAN (2020) - 3.75 / 5 stars

BIRDS OF PREY (2020) - 3.00 / 5 stars

A MONSTER CALLS (2016) - 3.00 / 5 stars

EDIT - After seeing some 3.5 range movies a week later, I realized that The Invisible Man is better than I had previoudly rated it. Rating now adjusted to 3.75 stars.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »

I don't really pay attention to reviews. For instance, they loved 1917, and I just couldn't see the fuss over it. They hated Battle: Los Angeles, but I actually quite liked it.

I'll go see The Current War because the whole thing is interesting to me and i'm a one-eyed Tom Holland fan.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2020, 07:04:32 PM »

Watched a few films recently, though I'd share my ratings. I'm a bit of a harsh reviewer, but to me a perfectly fine average movie with no big issues is a 3 out of 5 star film. To me, 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5 is definitely worth a watch. I don't hand out 4 stars like candy on Halloween, and a full 5 stars is quite rare.

THE INVISIBLE MAN (2020) - 3.25 / 5 stars

What were your issues with 'A Monster Calls?' I loved that movie in spite of how depressing it was.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2020, 01:47:03 AM »

I went to see Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I was expecting to like it a lot, and I certainly wanted to given what FFs the director and stars seem to be, but it dealt with some sensitive subject matter in ways that I found acutely upsetting (not necessarily morally depraved, but upsetting), so I ended up finding it a chore to watch. I was left thinking that perhaps we should have a shutdown of lesbian art films entering our country from France until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

I also saw Birds of Prey over the weekend and loved it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2020, 03:07:50 AM »

What were your issues with 'A Monster Calls?' I loved that movie in spite of how depressing it was.
The pacing and script mostly.

Overall there was a lot to like, and the good stuff was really good. For me a 3 star film is like getting a "B" on your report card. I can't fault it too much but the above-average things were IMO balanced out by the below-average things. Good film.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »

Overall there was a lot to like, and the good stuff was really good. For me a 3 star film is like getting a "B" on your report card. I can't fault it too much but the above-average things were IMO balanced out by the below-average things. Good film.

I see. And I wasn't under the assumption that you disliked it, but with a 3/5 you were bound to have some issues with the film and I was curious to hear them.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #245 on: March 04, 2020, 11:17:27 PM »

I see. And I wasn't under the assumption that you disliked it, but with a 3/5 you were bound to have some issues with the film and I was curious to hear them.
I might need to fine tune my rating system a bit.

The movie never sucked me in as it progressed. The movie never gave any if the secondary characters any depth. The second act didn't do much for me, other than the wasted unexplored storyline with the father.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #246 on: March 05, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »

A couple of films worthy of your attention if you have not seen them. Dont research them because so much internet = spoilers.

1. Blackcoats Daughter (2015)

Un-nerving.

2. Mandy (2018)

My girlfriend Mandee refused to watch it with me because she watched the YouTube trailer and read a review. I was a little dark

3. Don't Breathe (2016)

Immaculate production. Tense.

It's hard for me to put on a movie without my girlfriend trying to look it up on the net. So i have introduced a phone ban on the couch and i play films without telling her anything.

Otherwise she will read the review during the first 5 minutes of the film which drives me crazy.

She can choose whatever films she likes. She brought us Hereditary, which was phenomenal.

I like films that have a story which is new to your brain.

No spoilers.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »

A couple of films worthy of your attention if you have not seen them. Dont research them because so much internet = spoilers.

1. Blackcoats Daughter (2015)

Un-nerving.

2. Mandy (2018)

My girlfriend Mandee refused to watch it with me because she watched the YouTube trailer and read a review. I was a little dark

3. Don't Breathe (2016)

Immaculate production. Tense.

It's hard for me to put on a movie without my girlfriend trying to look it up on the net. So i have introduced a phone ban on the couch and i play films without telling her anything.

Otherwise she will read the review during the first 5 minutes of the film which drives me crazy.

She can choose whatever films she likes. She brought us Hereditary, which was phenomenal.

I like films that have a story which is new to your brain.

No spoilers.

Finally! Someone else who saw 'The Blackcoat's Daughter/February!' It's become one of my favorite horror movies. It's slow, but I actually prefer a slow horror movie that builds to something. And this one did just that. Don't watch the director's other film, 'I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House' though, it's just boring and slow, and not the least bit scary or unsettling. I heard his newest film 'Gretel and Hansel' is good though. I have yet to see it myself.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2020, 11:07:09 PM »

I heard his newest film 'Gretel and Hansel' is good though. I have yet to see it myself.
Two of the YouTube critics I watch (Austin Burke and Chris Stuckmann) both said it was all great atmosphere and cinematography but NO script whatsoever and barely a story. The good elements are great and the bad elements are terrible apparently. I'll maybe check it out in the future if it hits Canadian Netflix.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2020, 02:47:12 AM »

Just watched "Come To Daddy" (2019).

One of Elijah Wood's better performances.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies