Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:59:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23343 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: January 24, 2024, 02:16:55 PM »

recreational outrage over Oscar noms?  that's a relief, many were worried that we were in the wrong timeline
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #476 on: January 24, 2024, 04:12:37 PM »

the reason why the Oscars resisted the MCU were twofold: 1) the oscars prefer self-contained movies rather than being part of some broad narrative dictated by a studio and 2) the sheer quantity of them.

The Oscars resist comic book movies in general (let's not pretend the Dark Knight's snub didn't happen) for the same reason they resist westerns, thrillers, horror, comedies, sci-fi, action, fantasy, animation, etc.
Because Academy members consider genre movies to be beneath them and unworthy of such lofty recognition.

Sure, there will be the occasional Silence of the Lambs, Dances with Wolves, or Lord of the Rings.
But they are the exception that proves the rule.

You say that the Academy resists genre films as if Everything, Everywhere, All at Once didn't sweep the Oscars last year as a comedic Sci-fi film. Likewise genre action films like Top Gun: Maverick were nominated last year, along with a sci-fi fantasy like Avatar: The Way of Water. To be frank there are simply not enough westerns being made to have them nominated frequently, but True Grit (2010) and The Revenant were both nominated for a slew of awards. Likewise, Get Out was nominated in 2017 for both Best Picture and Best Director. Genre films get nominated every single year, that doesn't mean they win every year, but then again the Academy isn't a hive mind, but rather over 10,000 individuals who I do think in general cast their votes for who and what they consider to be the best in each category.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #477 on: January 24, 2024, 06:33:42 PM »

the reason why the Oscars resisted the MCU were twofold: 1) the oscars prefer self-contained movies rather than being part of some broad narrative dictated by a studio and 2) the sheer quantity of them.

The Oscars resist comic book movies in general (let's not pretend the Dark Knight's snub didn't happen) for the same reason they resist westerns, thrillers, horror, comedies, sci-fi, action, fantasy, animation, etc.
Because Academy members consider genre movies to be beneath them and unworthy of such lofty recognition.

Sure, there will be the occasional Silence of the Lambs, Dances with Wolves, or Lord of the Rings.

You say that the Academy resists genre films as if Everything, Everywhere, All at Once didn't sweep the Oscars last year as a comedic Sci-fi film. Likewise genre action films like Top Gun: Maverick were nominated last year, along with a sci-fi fantasy like Avatar: The Way of Water. To be frank there are simply not enough westerns being made to have them nominated frequently, but True Grit (2010) and The Revenant were both nominated for a slew of awards. Likewise, Get Out was nominated in 2017 for both Best Picture and Best Director. Genre films get nominated every single year, that doesn't mean they win every year, but then again the Academy isn't a hive mind, but rather over 10,000 individuals who I do think in general cast their votes for who and what they consider to be the best in each category.

This entire post is the apotheosis of naivete. But don't worry kids. That's what many of us believed when we were your age but thankfully it took us only about a decade or so to knock the Oscars (which have an almost 100 years history, they weren't established yesterday) from their pedestal.

BTW, don't give me that crap about Academy members. I've read enough anonymous interviews to understand that most of them are a bunch of self-conceited blowhards whose voting criteria are anything but the artistic value of the movies nominated.
Here is what a prominent online critic told me last week: "About 20 years ago, I remember reading comments from a voting member who admitted to never seeing any of the nominated films and basing his vote on which studio treated him better and sent him better swag. In the same article, another person said he voted for his friends regardless of how good a film might be. As to whether this is more prevalent than the Academy might like to believe...how else to explain "Shakespeare in Love?"

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2024, 06:36:14 PM »

recreational outrage over Oscar noms?  that's a relief, many were worried that we were in the wrong timeline

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this take.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2024, 07:16:51 PM »

This entire post is the apotheosis of naivete. But don't worry kids. That's what many of us believed when we were your age but thankfully it took us only about a decade or so to knock the Oscars (which have an almost 100 years history, they weren't established yesterday) from their pedestal.

BTW, don't give me that crap about Academy members. I've read enough anonymous interviews to understand that most of them are a bunch of self-conceited blowhards whose voting criteria are anything but the artistic value of the movies nominated.
Here is what a prominent online critic told me last week: "About 20 years ago, I remember reading comments from a voting member who admitted to never seeing any of the nominated films and basing his vote on which studio treated him better and sent him better swag. In the same article, another person said he voted for his friends regardless of how good a film might be. As to whether this is more prevalent than the Academy might like to believe...how else to explain "Shakespeare in Love?"

Disney can afford the best swag bags in the business, so it's hard to see how Marvel would be at a disadvantage if that were the problem. They already hand out goodies, toys, and pre-screening tickets to YouTube "critics" to generate buzz, and to tremendous success. Could it be that... the Avengers movies are just bad?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #480 on: January 24, 2024, 07:30:34 PM »

Disney can afford the best swag bags in the business, so it's hard to see how Marvel would be at a disadvantage if that were the problem. They already hand out goodies, toys, and pre-screening tickets to YouTube "critics" to generate buzz, and to tremendous success. Could it be that... the Avengers movies are just bad?

You are so obsessed with your Marvel hate-boner that you're unable to get any point I'm trying to make for two pages now.
Take a cold shower and come back.

I'm just trying to get you to carry on the conversation you started. You haven't replied to a single point I've made.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #481 on: January 24, 2024, 07:40:22 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2024, 03:59:48 PM by The Dowager Mod »

You are so obsessed with your Marvel hate-boner that you're unable to get any point I'm trying to make for two pages now.

I'm just trying to get you to carry on the conversation you started. You haven't replied to a single point I've made.

Trying to pass your opinion for fact isn't making a point.
The Avengers movies got great reviews and grossed billions of dollars. That's not what bad movies do.
You don't like them? Fine. There are after all people who think the Godfather and Citizen Kane are crap.
But don't try to argue that your opinion is the right one and everyone else's is wrong.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #482 on: January 24, 2024, 07:42:13 PM »

The Avengers movies got great reviews and grossed billions of dollars. That's not what bad movies do.
You don't like them? Fine. There are after all people who think the Godfather and Citizen Kane are crap.
But don't try to argue that your opinion is the right one and everyone else's is wrong. This is just obnoxious and shows what an entitled brat you are.

How about both of you cool off and let people enjoy what they enjoy without feeling the need to belittle them for it?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #483 on: January 24, 2024, 07:46:19 PM »

How about both of you cool off and let people enjoy what they enjoy without feeling the need to belittle them for it?

Cut the both sides BS.
Show me where I belittled anybody's opinion.
It's other people who declare holy war when someone doesn't accept their opinion as the gospel of truth.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2024, 07:47:12 PM »

But don't try to argue that your opinion is the right one and everyone else's is wrong. This is just obnoxious and shows what an entitled brat you are.

I didn’t say they were objectively bad. I said they objectively didn’t innovate with film technology as much as the original Star Wars did, which is completely true.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2024, 07:52:17 PM »

Cut the both sides BS.
It's other people who declare holy war when someone doesn't accept their opinion as the gospel of truth.

And you're equally quick to snap back, which just shut the argument down.

How is anyone's life on here impacted by liking a movie you don't like? How is anyone's life on here impacted by not liking a movie you like?

Both of you just cool off. Neither of your lives are impacted by it, and I can assure you, neither are anyone else's.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #486 on: January 24, 2024, 07:52:48 PM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #487 on: January 24, 2024, 08:09:46 PM »

Cut the both sides BS.

How is anyone's life on here impacted by liking a movie you don't like? How is anyone's life on here impacted by not liking a movie you like?

Both of you just cool off. Neither of your lives are impacted by it, and I can assure you, neither are anyone else's.

Who said it's impacting anyone's lives? I like arguing about movies and giving my opinions on them. I'm trying to start a conversation with this Greek geek about the different technology used in Star Wars versus the Avengers movies because it's a subject that interests me. It's hardly my fault if he takes everything I say as a personal attack.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #488 on: January 24, 2024, 08:23:36 PM »

Cut the both sides BS.

Yeah, this is a thread about first world problems.
Boo effing hoo.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #489 on: January 24, 2024, 08:24:29 PM »

Cut the both sides BS.

Who said it's impacting anyone's lives? I like arguing about movies and giving my opinions on them. I'm trying to start a conversation with this Greek geek about the different technology used in Star Wars versus the Avengers movies because it's a subject that interests me. It's hardly my fault if he takes everything I say as a personal attack.

In between slagging off fans of the Marvel movies as less intelligent.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #490 on: January 24, 2024, 08:32:13 PM »

Cut the both sides BS.

Gee, you're right-- I take it back. Marvel fans are actually smarter than the people who vote in the Oscars. No clue where I got that idea from.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #491 on: January 24, 2024, 10:17:55 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2024, 10:21:28 PM by GoTfan »

Cut the both sides BS.

Gee, you're right-- I take it back. Marvel fans are actually smarter than the people who vote in the Oscars. No clue where I got that idea from.

Point to where I said that. I can be fan of the franchise and still acknowledge the issue without being angry at people for disagreeing with me.

Both you and Lyndon are responsible here. Yes, he is way too quick to jump down people's throats for disagreeing with him, but I don't thing being passive-aggressive and then playing innocent is really helpful either.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #492 on: January 25, 2024, 02:58:01 AM »

I don't want to be too kind to the Oscars, because there are a ton of problems and I really can't stand them most of the time, but I do think they deserve quite a bit of credit for never jumping on the superhero bandwagon. Obviously everyone is pretending to have always hated Marvel now, but for practically the entire 2010s they were trying to force everyone to acknowledge stuff like Avengers 2 as cinema. Endgame is the most powerful film ever, Black Panther is the most bold and important movie ever made, etc. Outside of a few nominations here and there, the Oscars resisted that. I would much rather nonsense like Coda and Green Book win than Marvel. For all their faults, they deserve the award more than something like Infinity War does.

I would say it was more during Phase 3 of the MCU where this was true. Phase 1 really didnt start to take off in hype and popularity until the First Avengers Movie and then after during Phase 2 the numbers started to level off again until Avengers: Age of Ultron. It was only with Phase 3 where the MCU Hype really became all consuming and started to utterly dominate the box office.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/charted-marvel-box-office/

As you can see this is how much movies in each phase grossed over a billion:

Phase 1: 1 which was the Avengers
Phase 2: 2 which other than the Avengers: Age of Ultron was Iron Man 3
Phrase 3: 5 and they include the only movies in the franchise to gross over 2 billion(Infinity War and Engame)
Since Then: 2 which were both Spider-Man Movies

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #493 on: January 25, 2024, 09:34:00 AM »

I'm going to throw in a name that will cause a lot of WTF reactions, but Landslide Lyndon gets vastly more hate than he deserves. The reasons are similar to those listed above regarding ferguson, which I also agree with. LL calls right Wingers out on bs, and because they produce so much BS it happens a lot.

Maybe it happens on different threads then usgd or Atlas community and off topic where I spend the vast majority of my time, but I just don't see the supposed plethora of personal attacks he's accused of.
Badger, please explain how this is simply "calling right wingers out on BS" here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #494 on: January 25, 2024, 09:40:03 AM »

By this standard Baby Shark is the best song ever recorded.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #495 on: January 25, 2024, 10:45:21 AM »

By this standard Baby Shark is the best song ever recorded.

For some people it may well be and they are entitled to their opinion.
It's not my job to yuck on anyone's yum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2024, 10:58:57 AM »

While Robbie and Gerwig were arguably shafted, just resorting to that as "sexism" is a pretty lazy and unproductive take.

The Best Actress category is all women, so it's pretty much impossible to be shafted from it due to sexism.

Gerwig has already been nominated for Best Director (and for a more deserving film too), so there's clearly not some blacklisting of female directors. And she still got a nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay (which she has received previously as well.)
kyc0705

« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2024, 11:03:19 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2024, 11:13:15 AM by kyc0705 »

Oppenheimer will be the first blockbuster to win since Return of the King, 20 years ago.
Two years ago CODA became the lowest grossing Oscar winner ever with just 1 million.

To be fair, CODA was a streaming exclusive.

On the other hand, we know what becomes (or more correctly, doesn't become) of most streaming exclusives in terms of people discussing them or even seeing them to begin with.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2024, 11:20:51 AM »

Oppenheimer will be the first blockbuster to win since Return of the King, 20 years ago.
Two years ago CODA became the lowest grossing Oscar winner ever with just 1 million.

To be fair, CODA was a streaming exclusive.

On the other hand, we know what becomes (or more correctly, doesn't become) of most streaming exclusives in terms of people discussing them or even seeing them to begin with.

Even for a streaming movie, CODA was pretty obscure. In Greece it became the first best picture winner since WW2 that wasn't released theatrically and the sad thing is that this wasn't even news. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2024, 01:31:58 PM »

Everyone's opinion on art is subjective, but if all you have to contribute to a discussion is the equivalent "well, you know, it's just like, your opinion, man" in response to someone who's making substantive arguments to back up their preferences, at least the latter person is being subjective in an interesting way.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies