Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:08:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 22549 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 07:10:44 AM »
« edited: November 13, 2019, 08:15:32 AM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

Gonna do my first predictions now. Will possibly do another one around New Years and a final one in the last week or two before the Oscars.

BEST PICTURE
Marriage Story
The Irishman
Parasite
Little Women
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Jojo Rabbit
Ford V Ferrari
Bombshell
(#10 = Joker, I predict they nominate only 9 though)

BEST DIRECTOR
The Irishman, Parasite, Marriage Story, Once Upon / In Hollywood, Little Women

BEST ACTOR
Marriage Story, Joker, Once Upon / In Hollywood, The Irishman, Pain & Glory

BEST ACTRESS
Marriage Story, Judy, Bombshell, Little Women, The Farewell

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
The Irishman, A Beautiful Day / Neighborhood, The Irishman, Once Upon / In Hollywood, The Lighthouse

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Little Women, Marriage Story, Bombshell, Hustlers, Jojo Rabbit

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
 Marriage Story, Parasite, Once Upon / In Hollywood, Bombshell, The Farewell

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Irishman, Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, A Beautiful Day / Neighborhood, The Two Popes

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE
Parasite, Pain & Glory, Les Miserables, Atlantics, Monos

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Toy Story 4, Frozen II, How To / Dragon 3, Weathering With You, I Lost My Body

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
American Factory, Apollo 11, One Child Nation, The Cave, Honeyland

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
1917, Once Upon / In Hollywood, Parasite, The Irishman, The Lighthouse

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Irishman, Avengers: Endgame, Ad Astra, Star Wars 9, The Lion King

BEST EDITING
Marriage Story, The Irishman, Once Upon / In Hollywood, Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Once Upon / In Hollywood, Parasite, Ad Astra, 1917, The Irishman

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, Dolemite Is My Name, Once Upon / In Hollywood, Downton Abbey

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
Bombshell, Judy, Rocketman, Joker, Little Women

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Marriage Story, 1917, Star Wars 9, Little Women, Joker

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Frozen II, Harriet, Toy Story 4, Rocketman, The Lion King

BEST SOUND EDITING
1917, Ford V Ferrari, Star Wars 9, Ad Astra, Avengers: Endgame

BEST SOUND MIXING
Ford v Ferrari, 1917, Star Wars 9, Ad Astra, The Lighthouse

BEST (Documentary, Live-Action, Animated) SHORT
I honestly don't care about short films and these 3 awards. Maybe I should, but it is what it is.

6 Oscars - Marriage Story
4 Oscars - The Irishman
2 Oscars - Little Women, 1917
1 Oscar - Parasite, Once Upon / In Hollywood, Ford v Ferrari, Bombshell...
               ...Toy Story 4, Frozen II, American Factory

9 Nominations - The Irishman, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
8 Nominations - Marriage Story, Little Women
7 Nominations - Parasite
6 Nominations - 1917
5 Nominations - Bombshell
4 Nominations - Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari, Ad Astra, Star Wars 9
3 Nominations - Joker, The Lighthouse
2 Nominations - A Beautiful Day / Neighborhood, The Farewell, Pain & Glory, Avengers: Endgame...
                         ...Rocketman, Toy Story 4, Judy, Frozen II, The Lion King
1 Nomination  - The Two Popes, Harriet, Hustlers, Dolemite Is My Name, Downton Abbey...
                        ...and all other international / documentary / animated nominees
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 12:13:54 PM »

And who do you think will be the nominee for best supporting actor for Irishman according to you? Pacino or Pesci?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »

And who do you think will be the nominee for best supporting actor for Irishman according to you? Pacino or Pesci?
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm reading a lot of people saying Pacino and a lot saying Pesci. It's a toss up. Voters might feel the same and end up voting Tom Hanks instead, just so they don't have to pick one over the other. I personally support Dafoe in The Lighthouse, but I don't think it'll happen.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 09:15:39 AM »

So I saw The Irishman and - unpopular opinion alert - I didn’t think it was anything special (and I say that as someone who usually really enjoys Scorsese’s films).  Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t bad and it definitely had its strengths.  Joe Pesci gives an excellent, highly restrained performance as an elderly mob boss who felt like the most believable character* in the film.  The de-aging effects didn’t really work with Al Pacino and I often felt like I was watching Al Pacino playing Jimmy Hoffa as opposed to watching Jimmy Hoffa, but he had such great energy that it wasn’t really a problem.  Bobby Cannavale (Sheeran’s first boss), Ray Romano (a corrupt mob lawyer), and especially Stephen Graham (Anthony “Tony Pro” Provenzano) were also good in smaller supporting roles. 

On a technical level, the cinematography was great, the de-aging technology worked really well with Pesci generally and with De Niro’s face.  The film had great production values (it better given its budget Tongue ).  There was also a great WATN running joke that’s too good to spoil and gets funnier every time. 

The biggest problem is the movie’s length.  3 and a half hours is a long time and you feel it.  The movie is okay quality-wise, but once you get to hours and realize you’ve got another hour and a half of meh, it feels more and more like a chore.  It’s also a pretty slow movie.  Plus De Niro still moves like an old person, so that was really distracting.

*And that’s the right word since the film is based on a book about the now largely discredited claims of a mid-level union racketeer with delusions of grandeur.  As such, much of what happens is heavily fictionalized, sometimes to an absurd degree.  While this generally wasn’t a problem, three things required more suspension of disbelief than I could give: specifically, the film’s 1) implication the mafia had JFK assassinated, 2) claim that Frank Sheeran killed Joe Gallo on Bill Bufilino’s orders when in fact neither man was even tangentially connected to Gallo’s murder or the events that caused it, and 3) its depiction of Joe Gallo as a boorish, hot-headed John Gotti type who went rogue when he had Joe Columbo shot when in fact he was by most accounts a very well-mannered, cultured, and genuinely intellectual individual who - while a fierce inter-family rival of Columbo’s - didn’t have Columbo whacked until after he was given permission to do so by the bosses of three other NY families b/c Columbo spat in Carlo Gambino’s face and screamed obscenities at him during a public argument.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »

FORD V FERRARI (no spoilers)

I didn't like this as much as the critics seem to. I'd say it's an above-average film, and probably not praise it further than that, except to say that the acting and sound design were really good. I'm having a hard time articulating why I didn't love it. The pacing / plot movement perhaps. The story progressing from scene to scene to scene didn't "feel organic" as mucg as it felt like a list of plot points that we slowly move down one by one. Does that make sense? Another movie totally different movoe that I had this problem with is Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Overall, I recommend the movie if you don't have high expectations, but I don't strongly recommend it.

In terms of the Academy Awards, I'd say Joker absolutely deserves to be the 8th or 9th or 10th Best Picture nominee if this one of the few movies it's competing against for that spot. Due to "Oscar politics" (not the left wing right wing stuff) this may get a fairer shake than Joker, which is really too bad. In a fairer world, Joker would get the #8 spot and this would be competing for #9 or #10 with Bombshell and The Two Popes (with an outside chance for The Farewell or A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood). This should be a front runner for Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing, with a shot at Best Editing and an outside shot at Best Actor (Christian Bale).
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »

Joker wins Golden Frog, The Two Popes wins Silver Frog at EnergaCamerimage

This is a Polish festival where the Golden Frog winners often go on to Oscar nominations for the category of Best Cinematography. Joker has been talked about as maybe getting a nomination in this category or maybe just missing. The Two Popes has been in I guess the top 15 films talked about for this award? But not top 5 in most predictions. We'll see if this is the beginning of The Two Popes gaining momentum for a Best Cinematograpgy nomination or not.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/camerimage-joker-wins-golden-frog-1255133
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2019, 11:16:54 AM by Nixon was framed by the Deep State's Deep Throat »

Just saw The Report last night.  This was a phenomenal movie that - despite seemingly having Oscar bait written all over it - is really a one of those rare movies that everyone should see.  There’s reading about what we did to detainees and then there’s seeing a guy get water boarded or mock-buried alive in a wooden coffin.  The attempted CIA coverup (including its efforts to frame a Senate staffer using trumped up charges) are a whole horror story unto themselves.  Naturally most of the CIA officers involved were promoted and one of the top ones later became general counsel at AIG b/c of course she did Roll Eyes  This movie should really be shown in every high school American history class, but obviously that’s never gonna happen.

This movie probably isn’t more than a long-shot play for a nomination in BP, best adapted screenplay (probably its best chance for a nom), and maybe best editing.  However, it really deserves to be a top contender in numerous categories.  This is a movie that needed to be made and will absolutely horrify anyone with a soul...and I say that as someone who was in high school and college when this was coming out.  It’s not preachy either, it just shines a light on some of the monsters on our side.

5/5 - Highly recommended, then tell your friends to go see it Tongue
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »

Just saw The Report last night.  This was a phenomenal movie that - despite seemingly having Oscar bait written all over it - is really a one of those rare movies that everyone should see.  There’s reading about what we did to detainees and then there’s seeing a guy get water boarded or mock-buried alive in a wooden coffin.  The attempted CIA coverup (including its efforts to frame a Senate staffer using trumped up charges) are a whole horror story unto themselves.  Naturally most of the CIA officers involved were promoted and one of the top ones later became general counsel at AIG b/c of course she did Roll Eyes  This movie should really be shown in every high school American history class, but obviously that’s never gonna happen.

This movie probably isn’t more than a long-shot play for a nomination in BP, best adapted screenplay (probably its best chance for a nom), and maybe best editing.  However, it really deserves to be a top contender in numerous categories.  This is a movie that needed to be made and will absolutely horrify anyone with a soul...and I say that as someone who was in high school and college when this was coming out.  It’s not preachy either, it just shines a light on some of the monsters on our side.

Sounds great! Most theaters aren't playing it, sadly.

There is SOME talk of Annette Benning getting a Best Supporting Actress nomination as well, but she's gotta beat out two of Lopez, Mackenzie and the grandma from The Farewell (always forget her name). Dern, Pugh and Robbie seem to be fairly locked in already.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »

Sounds great! Most theaters aren't playing it, sadly.

There is SOME talk of Annette Benning getting a Best Supporting Actress nomination as well, but she's gotta beat out two of Lopez, Mackenzie and the grandma from The Farewell (always forget her name). Dern, Pugh and Robbie seem to be fairly locked in already.

Honestly, while the makeup team did a great job making her look just like Feinstein, it really wasn’t a large or meaty enough role to merit serious awards consideration, especially given that it’s not exactly a weak field this time around.  The only real acting play this film has is Adam Driver for Best Actor and while he is excellent, I’m pretty sure he’s gonna get nominated for Marriage Story instead. 

Also, I am not at all a car person (never have been, I just wanna get from point A to point B safely with good fuel economy without paying more than I should for the car, I don’t care if it has all these random new features or not), but I saw Ford v Ferrari and loved it.  Is it the best film of the year?  No.  Is it an excellent film that deserves a BP nomination?  Absolutely, one of the best sports films I’ve ever seen (especially if we’re talking non-boxing sports films).  While it’s not as smart or insightful as Rush, it still has a solid script which includes two fascinating characters: Ken Miles and Henry Ford II. 

While the race scenes are riveting (so much so that during the Daytona one mid-way through the film, I actually stood up in the theater in excitement at the end before remembering where I was lol), the film’s ace in the hole is Ken Miles.  He’s a very interesting guy and Bale did a great job playing him.  I won’t spoil the end, but at first it reminded me of another classic sports film...and then something happened that I never would’ve seen coming in a million years and really hit me like a ton of bricks.  I started tearing up in the theater.  Also, Tracy Letts was excellent as Henry Ford II (stole every scene he was in before the final race) and the scene where we see his reaction upon learning of a particularly cutting insult Enzo Ferrari directed at him was a real masterclass in acting.

That said, Matt Damon’s performance was pretty meh and has gotten much more praise than it deserved.  It was just him using an awkward-sounding southern accent while playing a pretty bland, generic protagonist.  The film’s Carroll Shelby lacked the edge it needed to make the character work and a lot of the blame for that lies with Damon.  The problem is all the more glaring in his scenes with Bale, whose performance has this in spades and transcends the “non-threatening lovable rogue” stock character in a way Damon was seemingly unable to. 

I think it has a shot at a BP nomination, but it’s lost a lot of momentum in that race and I doubt it has any chance of winning at this point.  Bale has a shot at a Best Actor nomination, but it’ll depend on the strength of the field and whether he can get a SAG nomination.  If so, then he’s probably a serious contender for the fourth or fifth slot, but if he can’t crack the field there then he’s probably gonna get snubbed...probably.  Mangold did a great job directing (easily the best of his career thus far), but he’s got no chance of even a nomination.  I think the film will be a serious contender for Best Editing (though a win - while possible - definitely feels like a reach right now), nominations in both sound categories (b/c Hollywood doesn’t know the difference and just treats them as a catch-all “best sound”), and has an outside shot at a best cinematography nomination depending on how the field shakes out and how many people confuse visual effects with Cinematography (as the academy is wont to do). 

Don’t be surprised if the film over-performs at the Globes and then gets bupkis everywhere else.  If anyone is gonna respond to this movie on the circuit, it’ll be Globes voters (although to be clear, it’s not a sure thing that they will).

I give Ford v Ferrari a solid 4/5.  If you go in expecting an excellent sports movie that will entertain you for the night, you won’t be disappointed.  Just don’t expect anything more than that Tongue

Note: I went in with pretty low expectations, so that may well have caused me to be a bit more positive than I would otherwise have been.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 12:00:14 AM »

The new Netflix holiday "Santa origin story" movie Klaus was pretty good, and better than I expected. The locks are Toy Story 4, Frozen 2 and How To Train Your Dragon 3, but I'm now hoping Klaus gets a Best Animated Feature nomination. I haven't seen Weathering With You, I Lost My Body or Abominable yet, but it was definitely better than Missing Link, which itself was a half-decent movie.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2019, 05:18:11 PM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

2017 Oscar race and The Shape Of Water

Just watched The Shape Of Water again, and I think I agree with the Academy awarding this Best Picture in the 2017 competition. I can also see very good arguments for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Phantom Thread and Call Me By Your Name winning. I agree with Lady Bird and Get Out receiving Best Picture nominations, but I'm glad they weren't awarded over (IMO) better films. I'm 50/50 on whether Dunkirk and Darkest Hour should have been nominated or not, though they are very well made films. The Post should not have been nominated IMO. I think Bladerunner 2049, The Wife and especially Logan should have received nominations.

The Shape Of Water (winner)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Logan (my addition)
Phantom Thread
Call Me By Your Name

Lady Bird
Get Out
Bladerunner 2049 (my addition)

Darkest Hour
The Wife (my addition)
Dunkirk (my subtraction)

The Post (my subtraction)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2019, 08:20:37 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2019, 10:27:49 AM by Disney is Killing Cinema »

Since we're also doing 2017 and that's a year which 1) was a pretty great one for film and 2) where I have some rather...unusual thoughts about what should've won/been nominated (especially the latter), here are my thoughts on that year in the major categories:

Best Picture
1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Get Out
3. World of Tomorrow - Episode Two: The Burden of Other People’s Thoughts
4. Wonder (This movie really didn't get its due, but it spoke to me on a very personal level and was one of the year's true hidden gems...or perhaps not so hidden since it shocked many by becoming one of 2017's big sleeper hits, speaking of which...)
5. IT: Chapter 1 (I know movies like this don't usually get nominated, but this was a great movie which managed to be both a near-perfect adaptation of a well-known doorstopper and very much its own thing)
6. Coco
7. Lady Bird
8. Okja (Fun fact: While I ultimately fell off the wagon, this movie inspired me to try to become a vegetarian and I went literally eight and a half months without eating any meat; talk about a powerful movie Tongue )
9. Detroit (another surprisingly under-appreciated film during award season)
10. I, Tonya

Best Actor
1. James Franco - The Disaster Artist (I'm not gonna complain about a sex predator not even getting nominated, but on the merits of performance quality, Franco deserved the win)
2. James McAvoy - Split (career best work completely overlooked Sad )
3. Daniel Kaluuya - Get Out
4. Jacob Tremblay - Wonder (I thought he was much better here than in Room tbh)
5. Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour (Oldman was good, but the makeup did some of the work here and I feel like a lot of the awards were really for "best performance by someone who is ‘overdue’ in an Oscar-bait role” b/c he wasn't "give him every award ever" level good in Darkest Hour, not by a long shot)

Best Actress
1. Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

2. Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird
3. Margot Robbie - I, Tonya
4. Ahn Seo-hyun - Okja (an under-appreciated performance in an under-appreciated movie)
5. Sally Hawkins - The Shape of Water

Best Director
1. Andrés Muschietti - IT: Chapter 1 (his direction is part of why this film worked as well as it did)
2. Martin McDonagh - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. Greta Gerwig - Lady Bird
4. Jordan Peele - Get Out
5. Lee Unkrich - Coco

Best Adapted Screenplay
1. Don Hertzfeldt - World of Tomorrow - Episode Two: The Burden of Other People’s Thoughts
2. Stephen Chbosky, Steve Conrad, and Jack Thorne - Wonder (The screenwriters of this film got robbed; the fact that Logan was nominated instead of Wonder was easily one of the year's worst Oscar snubs)
3. Gary Dauberman, Cary Fukunaga, and Chase Palmer - IT: Chapter 1
4. Scott Neustadter and Michael A. Weber - The Disaster Artist
5. Mike Flanagan and Jeff Howard - Gerald’s Game

Best Original Screenplay
1. Jordan Peele - Get Out
2. Martin McDonagh - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. Matthew Aldrich, Jason Katz, Adrian Molina, and Lee Unkrich - Coco
4. Greta Gerwig - Lady Bird
5. Mark Boal - Detroit (although there’s definitely an argument for giving Okja the fifth slot)

Best Supporting Actor
1. Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Will Poulter - Detroit (I suppose the Oscars were never gonna nominated two performances as violently racist cops in the same year in the same category)
3. Harrison Ford - Blade Runner 2049
4. Richard Jenkins - The Shape of Water
5. Steve Carrell - Battle of the Sexes (so hard to choose between this, Jake Gyllenhaal balls-to-the-walls madcap turn as a washed-up, alcoholic, cartoonishly evil Steve Irwin parody in Okja and Jack Dylan Grazer's hilariously neurotic performance as Eddie in IT: Chapter 1, but Carrell’s scene-stealing, hammy as hell yet surprisingly nuanced take on Bobby Riggs probably deserves the fifth slot most for turning what could’ve easily been a one-note caricature into a three-dimensional, always entertaining, decidedly obnoxious yet just as often sympathetic portrait of flawed man trying to hide his failings behind a MAGA-lite public persona)

Best Supporting Actress
1. Allison Janney - I, Tonya
2. Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird
3. Betty Buckley - Split (about 80% of her lines were silly nonsense, but Buckley sold every one of them perfectly and made it look easy in her career best performance; that's right Cats fans, you heard me Tongue )
4. Betty Gabriel - Get Out
5. Brooklynn Prince - The Florida Project

Best Animated Film
1. World of Tomorrow - Episode Two: The Burden of Other People’s Thoughts - Don Hertzfeldt
2. Coco - Lee Unkrich
3. The Breadwinner - Nora Twomey
4. Loving Vincent - Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman
5. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - David Soren

Best Documentary
1. Get Me Roger Stone - Dylan Bank, Daniel DiMauro, and Morgan Pehme  (Great documentary, also far less preachy than I had feared)
2. Icarus - Bryan Fogel
3. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Chris Smith
4. Last Men in Aleppo - Firas Fayyad
5. Kedi - Ceyda Torun

Best Foreign Film
1. Loveless (Russia) - Andrey Zvyagintsev
2. Raw (Belgium) - Julia Ducournau

3. The Square (Sweden) - Ruben Östlund

4. First They Killed my Father (Cambodia) - Angelina Jolie
5. BPM (Beats per Minute) (France) - Robin Campillo

Best Original Score
1. IT: Chapter 1 - Benjamin Wallfisch
 (Another ridiculous Oscar snub)
2. The Shape of Water - Alexandre Desplat
3. Phantom Thread - Jonny Greenwood
4. Okja - Jaeil Jung
5. Darkest Hour - Dario Marianelli

Best Original Song
1. Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez - Remember Me (Coco) (A great example of a song being perfect in the context of the story, much harder than merely writing hummable tunes)
2. Sufjan Stevens - Mystery of Love (Call Me by Your Name) (Probably the only nom the film deserved tbh)
3. Germaine Franco and Adrian Molina - Un Poco Loco (Coco)
4. Bilal and The Roots - It Ain’t Fair (Detroit)
5. Andra Day and Common - Stand Up for Something (Marshall)  (As good a choice to round out the fifth slot as any)

Best Film Editing
1. Wonder - Mark Livolsi
2. Baby Driver - Jonathan Amos and Paul Machliss
3. All the Money in the World - Claire Simpson
4. Dunkirk - Lee Smith
5. Lady Bird - Nick Houy

Best Cinematography
1. IT: Chapter 1 - Chung-hoon Chung
2. Darkest Hour - Bruno Delbonnel
3. Baby Driver - Bill Pope
4. Blade Runner 2049 - Roger Deakins
5. Detroit - Barry Ackroyd
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2019, 07:18:10 PM »

If we're talking about the movies of 2017, 'Blade Runner 2049' was my absolute favorite film of that year. I also loved 'Coco,' 'Lady Bird,' 'The Shape of Water,' and 'Three Billboards' of those were received awards season attention.

As for films that were completely underrated for that year:
-'Brad's Status'
-'Colossal'
-'Detroit'
-'Ingrid Goes West'
-'The Blackcoat's Daughter'
-'The Killing of a Sacred Deer'
-'Wind River'

And now for those that I found overrated:
-'Call Me By Your Name'
-'Darkest Hour'
-'Dunkirk'
-'Logan'
-'Phantom Thread'
-'Star Wars Episode XIII: The Last Jedi'
-'The Disaster Artist'
-'The Post'
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:08 PM »

Since we're also doing 2017 and that's a year which 1) was a pretty great one for film and 2) where I have some rather...unusual thoughts about what should've won/been nominated (especially the latter), here are my thoughts on that year in the major categories:
You really hated Logan and Call Me By Your Name, huh? I wasn't a huge fan of Call Me By Your Name overall - I thought it was good but overrated - but the craftsmanship (cinematography, directing, acting) was objectively very good. Logan I absolutely loved, but it's harder to objectively argue it's merits without inserting my biases, so I won't do that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 11:31:28 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2019, 11:35:47 PM by No Quid Pro Quo Unless Sondland Says So »

You really hated Logan and Call Me By Your Name, huh? I wasn't a huge fan of Call Me By Your Name overall - I thought it was good but overrated - but the craftsmanship (cinematography, directing, acting) was objectively very good. Logan I absolutely loved, but it's harder to objectively argue it's merits without inserting my biases, so I won't do that.

- I didn't see what all of the fuss was about Call Me By Your Name tbh.  Then again, I've never really been a fan of Luca Guadagnino or James Ivory's work.  I didn't hate it, it was perfectly serviceable...but 2017 was a very strong year for movies and there are only so many slots to go around (same reason Shape of Water is missing from so many categories)

- I didn't hate Logan, but my understanding is that Wonder and Logan were always battling for the fifth slot that year in Adapted Screenplay
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 05:43:28 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2019, 05:48:30 AM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD (no spoilers)

This movie is a lot more experimental and outside-of-the-box than I thought it would be, and that's mostly a good thing.  From a story perspective however, it feels like a TV movie but with way above average budget, cinematography, acting, and some very interesting creative decisions that I can't get into in a non-spoiler review. The "TV movie plot" aspect is my biggest criticism here, because IMO it prevents this movie from being "great" or "amazing" or "a classic", but there's so much more to this movie besides the plot. It's an emotional and inspirational film and some may cry.

When it comes to acting, Matthew Rhys was just as good as Tom Hanks IMO. I actually feel like Hanks was slightly miscast, but made it work well enough regardless. Hanks may or may not deserve an Oscar nomination, but he was goox. IMO he doesn't deserve to win the Oscar as his performance wasn't mindblowing.

The marketing for this movie is misleading as well, be warned. The movie as a whole is all about Mr. Rodgers, but the man himself is a supporting character in the plot. I prefer not to elaborate for non-spoiler purposes.

VERDICT - I can see some mainstream movie watchers disliking this for being a drama and not being a Fred Rogers bio-pic. If you like "Oscar drama" type movies, you will probably appreciate this movie and like it. I'm going to give this a "B+" rating. There are lots of great elements that make me want to go higher, but the plot just didn't do enough for me.

OSCAR NOMINATIONS - This is going to miss out on Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor IMO. There is a good chance that Tom Hanks is nominated for Best Supporting Actor, 50/50 chance for Best Adapted Screenplay and an outside shot at Best Cinematography.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »

If we're talking about the movies of 2017, 'Blade Runner 2049' was my absolute favorite film of that year. I also loved 'Coco,' 'Lady Bird,' 'The Shape of Water,' and 'Three Billboards' of those were received awards season attention.

As for films that were completely underrated for that year:
-'Brad's Status'
-'Colossal'
-'Detroit'
-'Ingrid Goes West'
-'The Blackcoat's Daughter'
-'The Killing of a Sacred Deer'
-'Wind River'

And now for those that I found overrated:
-'Call Me By Your Name'
-'Darkest Hour'
-'Dunkirk'
-'Logan'
-'Phantom Thread'
-'Star Wars Episode XIII: The Last Jedi'
-'The Disaster Artist'
-'The Post'

I feel so bad for forgetting about 'The Founder' in my underrated films list.

I usually tend not to care for conventional, straightforward biopics, but the character of Ray Kroc ( I say character since, even though he is a real person, I am just going off how he was portrayed in the film) and Michael Keaton's acting as that character felt really compelling to me. I guess the biopics I like the most are ones where the subject borders on being a villain. I would put 'The Social Network' in that category too. They almost feel like super-villain origin stories.

It was especially interesting since I remember that 'The Founder' came out around the time of Trump's inauguration, and while I hate to bring him into everything (especially my means of escapism), I couldn't help but pick up on the similarities between him and Kroc.

I thought the film was fascinating, and it's a damn shame that it didn't get more attention or praise.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2019, 02:59:34 AM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

I accidentally deleted my The Irishman review trying to post my brand new Knives Out review. Damn.

Cut-and-paste recap from another thread:

THE IRISHMAN (no spoilers)

I posted a short spoiler-free review in the Oscars & Awards Season thread.

Basically, I view it as a very good film that deserves a lot of the praise, but there are several aspects that I think are being over-rated, that ARE very good but are not amazing and incredible. Some of those would be Pacino's performance, the cinematography, how the film delivers the message it's trying to deliver, and the entire film overall. I think major praise is fully deserved in regards to DeNiro, the de-aging special effects, and the pacing of this 3.5 hour film.

Some people are saying masterpiece, but I would give a score of "A minus" or possibly "A".

FINAL SCORE
A minus
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 02:56:27 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2019, 03:00:03 AM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

KNIVES OUT (no spoilers)

Hard to talk about this without spoilers. First off, I have to say, this is a political movie that you can also enjoy if you ignore the politics. The politics seem like small, unimportant window dressing, and the movie works 100% without them and without focusing on them. If you want to though, you can peel back all sorts of layers here and see all kinds of politics. I can't discuss any of that because of spoilers, but maybe that's something that could entice you to go and see this (very good) film. It's a murder mystery whodunit with thriller elements and the all-star cast does a good job. The main character played by Ana De Armas is probably the best performance.

DECENT BUT NOT GREAT
- Cinematography
- The cast. ALL good acting but nobody was incredible
- The twists and turns are pretty good
- I really liked Toni Collette's performance

DESERVES A LOT OF PRAISE
- Ana De Armas was good, deserves praise for pulling off a lead role
- The subtle politics was icing on the cake. Your Mileage May Vary

FINAL SCORE
A minus

OSCAR TALK
The one Oscar that Knives Out has a 50/50 shot at being nominated for is Best Original Screenplay. Some other non-Oscar awards have a Best Ensemble Cast award, and this has a good shot at those awards for sure. Ana De Armas was pretty good, but probably not good enough to get a Best Actress nomination in a year full of good female lead performances. There's some small chance that Daniel Craig gets nominated for Best Supporting Actor, but it's a long shot.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 04:57:56 PM »

I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.  I liked it well enough, I guess, but it wasn't an amazing movie by any means.  Really good message though!  It was a perfect tribute to Fred Rogers and what he stood for.   It might be a contender for an Adapted Screenplay nomination given how weak the field is this year as far as #OscarMovies go, but I think that it probably doesn't get nominated in any category.  It just isn't going to get many #1 votes and the Oscar nominations are determined by the number of first choice votes.

3/5
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2019, 06:36:35 AM »

J'AI PERDU MON CORPS (I LOST MY BODY) [Netflix] (no spoilers)

This is a well-made and well-animated artsy fartsy French film following two plots - the story of a young arab Frenchman living in Paris and the story of a walking severed hand with a mind of it's own. It is a good movie and I would recommend it either strongly or not at all, depending on how you feel about artsy European films. Make sure you watch it it's original audio of French and use subtitles. When I watched it, my Netflix account started me off in an english dub, which is not the way the actual movie was envisioned, written or voice-acted.

THINGS THAT WILL BE DIVISIVE
- Does the artsy stuff help the story or waste time?
- What are the deeper meanings here? Expressed well enough?
- The third act

DESERVES A LOT OF PRAISE
- The animation
- The scene where he first meets Martinez
- The way the film expresses moods and emotions

FINAL SCORE
B plus

OSCAR TALK
This is only going for Best Animated Film I think, and is expected to be a top 7 movie (nominated or just misses out). I think this is the kind of film the Academy LOVES, so my personal opinion is that it will get nominated by beating out Missing Link and one of Klaus / Weathering With You. I actually see this as a long shot to win the Oscar over Toy Story 4. It's pretty unlikely but IMO not impossible.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 06:14:21 AM »

I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.  I liked it well enough, I guess, but it wasn't an amazing movie by any means.  Really good message though!  It was a perfect tribute to Fred Rogers and what he stood for.   It might be a contender for an Adapted Screenplay nomination given how weak the field is this year as far as #OscarMovies go, but I think that it probably doesn't get nominated in any category.  It just isn't going to get many #1 votes and the Oscar nominations are determined by the number of first choice votes.

3/5
A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood's reddit Oscar nominations chatter says...

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - 75% chance or even higher
BEST PICTURE - top 15 film but not in the top 7 (only 8/9/10 get nominated)
BEST DIRECTOR - top 10 film but not in the top 6 (only 5 get nomonated)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:19 PM »

JOJO RABBIT (no spoilers)

This movie lacks truly top-tier directing, cinematography, acting, score, and the script isn't perfectly paced. This is not an "artistic masterpiece". All of the things I just mentioned are actually pretty good, but not at that very top level.

That being said, this was a DAMNED good film and I absolutely loved it. People worried that this film is offensive need to go see it. It's great, and it's message is great. Thomasin Mackenzie has a long career in Hollywood ahead of her - she upstaged both Johansson and Rockwell. BIG recommendation for anybody reading this to go and check this film out. Best Picture nomination is expected and it better not get overlooked.

Just saw it today, it's brilliant.  Belonging more to the 'coming of age in war' genre than to satire, the humor serves to frame Jojo's experience.  You can see how a young boy might fall under the spell of the propoganda, and his discovery of it an empty shell that opposes what he truly loves.  A few moments nearly brought me tears. Visually beautiful and the score was great as well. 

Thomasin is excellent, I loved her in Leave No Trace - my favorite film of last year and unfairly passed over by the Academy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »

3/5

I mean, is there really any difference between this and Tom Hanks’ general screen persona?  I feel like this is the same performance he’s given in at least half of his post-Cast Away roles.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »

3/5

I mean, is there really any difference between this and Tom Hanks’ general screen persona?  I feel like this is the same performance he’s given in at least half of his post-Cast Away roles.
IMO yes there's a difference, and the best parts of Hanks' performance were subtle. That said, I'm not as huge of a fan of his performance as others are. In my opinion though, it's a weak year for Best Supporting Actor. Nobody has really impressed me outside of performances that might not even be nominated (Willam Dafoe, maybe Johnathan Pryce based on the trailer I saw).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies