Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:37:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23161 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2020, 11:12:30 PM »

Joaquin Phoenix’s speech was just...out there. Environmentalism isn’t the type of thing to talk about considering what the Oscar was for.

Especially given that the particular type of environmentalist rhetoric he used was dredged from the darkest depths of Vegan Tumblr. Yeesh.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2020, 11:22:12 PM »

and HERE... WE... GO! dot gif
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2020, 11:26:02 PM »

Ehh, to each their own.  I'll grant you that I have both very eclectic and decidedly idiosyncratic tastes, but I don't think that's a bad thing.  I mean, just to give one example: I thought Hereditary deserved to win Best Picture...but now that Bojack Horseman has ended, I consider https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_(TV_series) to be by far the best TV show currently on air.  I love Tarantino's films and my favorite genre is Horror, but I also loved My Big Fat Greek Wedding and cried like a baby when I watched Wonder because it was just that powerful a film.

I saw Parasite and I liked it well enough.  In fact, I liked it enough that I paid to see it a second time.  It was fine.  Nothing amazing, but a perfectly good thriller with a bunch of unexpectedly funny moments in the first half.  However, things went off the rails a little bit after the flood and the ending (beginning with the birthday party murders) just didn't work for me at all.  Most of the characters were pretty one-note too although the script was good enough that this didn't become too big a problem.  A good comparison is Black Panther: A perfectly fine movie worth a watch that rewards a second viewing...but that I also think got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overhyped.  

Ultimately, Parasite was good and that's not a knock on it.  However, it wasn't a great movie and there were some truly great movies this year.  It's one thing to say Parasite was a good film.  But to say Parasite was better than something liker 1917, Jojo Rabbit, Ford V Ferrari, Marriage Story, Us, Uncut Gems, etc...honestly, I find it kinda mind-boggling.  

Again though, this is all completely subjective.  I mean, you looked at Marriage Story and saw another generic artsy types cheating on each other film while I saw the fourth best film of the decade.  I looked at Parasite and saw a well above average, but ultimately forgettable thriller whereas you saw an absolutely fantastic film.  You liked Little Women and didn't like Joker; I loved Joker and almost fell asleep in the theater during Little Women.  Neither of us is right or wrong.

Joaquin Phoenix’s speech was just...out there. Environmentalism isn’t the type of thing to talk about considering what the Oscar was for.

Especially given that the particular type of environmentalist rhetoric he used was dredged from the darkest depths of Vegan Tumblr. Yeesh.

Well, at least we can agree on this Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:11 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaand Parasite goes yard. Love that journey for us! ("Us" is people who've wasted years of our lives writing academic papers on East Asian movies.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2020, 11:31:08 PM »

Congrats, #BongHive Tongue

Side Note: Of course, the Academy recognizes the first film by Bong Joon-Ho I've seen that I didn't absolutely love (Mother, Snowpiercer, The Host, and especially Okja were great).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2020, 11:31:53 PM »

Side Note: Of course, the Academy recognizes the first film by Bong Joon-Ho I've seen that I didn't absolutely love (Mother, Snowpiercer, The Host, and especially Okja were great).

I haven't seen Okja yet, but Snowpiercer's a bona fide masterpiece. I might rewatch it tomorrow.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2020, 11:41:20 PM »

I haven't seen Okja yet, but Snowpiercer's a bona fide masterpiece. I might rewatch it tomorrow.

Okja was phenomenal; I think you'll like it although we seem to have pretty different tastes, so who knows?  Snowpiercer was so well done and despite how little time we got with the characters they all somehow felt soooooooo well developed.  It had some excellent twists too.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2020, 11:50:19 PM »

I was disappointed by Okja other than the first act, but it was okay.

I'll admit my heresy publically here - I've never seen Snowpiercer (!) BUT I picked up a BluRay copy for very very cheap a couple if months ago. Will have to get around to watching it.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2020, 11:58:06 PM »

Well, I would've voted for 1917, but Parasite was a solid film and I definitely liked it better than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Looking back on films released from 2010-2019, I only agreed with the Academy on the best film twice: 2013 for Twelve Year's a Slave and 2010 for the King's Speech.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2020, 04:24:18 AM »

"Best Picture" Rankings - 2010s

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Moonlight
Parasite [Gisaengchung]
Birdman (Or The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance)
The Shape Of Water
Spotlight
The King's Speech
12 Years A Slave
The Artist
Green Book
Argo
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2020, 05:08:26 AM »

Well, I would've voted for 1917, but Parasite was a solid film and I definitely liked it better than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Looking back on films released from 2010-2019, I only agreed with the Academy on the best film twice: 2013 for Twelve Year's a Slave and 2010 for the King's Speech.

Yup. Similar. Out of the list, 1917 was simply more enjoyable. I thought Parasite was good, but fell away slightly towards the end.

Would have given it to Midsommar to be honest.

And Lighthouse should have been nominated.

Having films of that quality missing out is a sign of a healthy and fertile movie production pipeline.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2020, 05:53:08 AM »

Hahahahahahahahahaha

This guy yells and screams about how Joker should have won Best Picture and how Parasite isn't deserving, but then admits on camera that he hasn't seen Parasite and doesn't even know what it's about. The like to dislike ratio on the video is hilarious, as is the comments section.

https://youtu.be/lTr6sYWWCNI
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »

Parasite!! Cheesy

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend doing so.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »

You can tell he's genuinely passionate about it, and it's not just the thing he cares about because it's the trendy and popular thing to care about while preaching to the choir of 90% of the people in the room.  So I didn't mind it compared to most political Oscar speeches.

---------

I thought "Stand Up" was going to win for best song. "Glory" was another black history themed song that won a few years ago that wasn't nearly as musically engaging or lyrically powerful.  As someone who likes a lot of Elton John's stuff, "Love Me Again" doesn't do it for me, though tbf I haven't seen the movie so I can't judge it within the context.

Not sure how much I want to see a movie called "Parasite,"  sometimes I get grossed out easily.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2020, 02:10:51 PM »

Not sure how much I want to see a movie called "Parasite,"  sometimes I get grossed out easily.
It's meant in a social / political way and not a biological / sci-fi way. There are no disgusting worms inside if people's bodies or anything remotely like that.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2020, 02:18:18 PM »

You can tell he's genuinely passionate about it, and it's not just the thing he cares about because it's the trendy and popular thing to care about while preaching to the choir of 90% of the people in the room.  So I didn't mind it compared to most political Oscar speeches.

I agree. His views are a bit out there for me, but I respect that he seems to really hold those beliefs and isn't just virtue signaling.
Roblox

« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »

So happy Parasite won. Also I kinda liked Joaquin's speech. I honestly preferred his earnest rambling to 99% of pre-prepared acceptance speeches delivered with perfection.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »

In light of Parasite's win, I hope that the Academy starts to think about establishing a "Best American film" category; BAFTA has a similar category for Best British film. I think that would be a good way of ensuring both that American films continue to be recognized by the Academy and that international films are not penalized in the Best Picture category.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »

I didn't watch the Academy Awards last night, but I did look up the results as soon as they were over. I can't say that there were many surprises outside of 'Parasite' absolutely cleaning up! I never thought that the Academy would award it for both Best Picture and Best International Picture. Good for it and those who worked on it though! I especially want to congratulate Bong on winning best Director too, he had some very stiff, well-established competition this year. I want to see it even more than I already did, it's one of the few movies where I haven't heard a single complain about it, and I loved 'The Host' and 'Snowpiercer' so I expect to love 'Parasite' as well. I also knew that this forum would be more than pleased by that.

Overall it seems as if every major nominee went home with at least something though, the Academy always seems to try and do that, and this wasn't much of an exception. 'The Irishman' did go home empty-handed though. I wasn't rooting against it, as underwhelmed as I was by it, but I am somewhat relieved that it didn't win for Best Editing, that one would have irked me.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2020, 03:19:40 AM »

I saw UNCUT GEMS the other day and it was really good. I give it 4/5 stars. Cinematography wasn't "really good" per se, but it was really unique, like the sound design and the whole movie overall actually.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2020, 07:11:43 PM »

I saw UNCUT GEMS the other day and it was really good. I give it 4/5 stars. Cinematography wasn't "really good" per se, but it was really unique, like the sound design and the whole movie overall actually.

Did you ever see 'Good Time?' The previous film by these director brothers.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2020, 11:08:26 PM »

I saw Good Time, and honestly I was underwhelmed. I really appreciated many different aspects of it, but the plot kind of fell apart for me in the second half.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »

I saw Good Time, and honestly I was underwhelmed. I really appreciated many different aspects of it, but the plot kind of fell apart for me in the second half.

I see. I for one liked it, but it didn't really stick with me. The most notable thing to me about it was that it proved that Robert Pattinson can be a good actor. I always thought so but people then still point to the 'Twilight' series as a rebuttal.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2020, 11:05:52 PM by Karl Marx Walked So Bernie Could Run »

The new Wes Anderson film "The French Dispatch" has one of the best casts ever assembled for a film. It comes out in July and is one of the early favourites for the Oscars (though it is insanely early and impossible to know at this point). The first official trailer dropped yesterday. It seems VERY much like The Grand Budapest Hotel in terms of style and humour. Hopefully it's a great film but I honestly can't tell from the trailer.

CAST LIST (in no particular order)

Saoirse Ronan
Bill Murray
Elisabeth Moss
Jason Schwartzman
Tilda Swinton
Benicio Del Toro
Léa Seydoux
Adrien Brody
Bob Balaban
Henry Winkler
Frances McDormand
Timothée Chalamet
Lyna Khoudri
Jeffrey Wright
Stephen Park
Mathieu Almaric
Willem Dafoe
Edward Norton
Owen Wilson
Cécile De France
Christoph Waltz
Liev Schreiber
Anjelica Huston
Griffin Dunne
Alex Lawther
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »

King TChenka got me curious about this subject, so here's one site's predictions on the next Oscar favorites, with their release month and a short explanation provided by me:

The French Dispatch (July): see above
Greyhound (May): Tom Hanks-starring war film about an American naval commander defending merchant ships from U-boats during the early part of WW2
In the Heights (June): Musical based on a Lin-Manuel Miranda stage musical about an Hispanic-American neighborhood in NYC
The Last Duel (December): Ridley Scott historical drama about a duel in 14th century France
Mank (TBA):  David Fincher film about Herman J. Mankiewicz and his battles with director Orson Welles over screenplay credit for Citizen Kane
On the Rocks (TBA): Sofia Coppola comedy-drama about a young mother (played by Rashida Jones) who reconnects with her larger than life playboy father (played by Bill Murray)
The Trial of the Chicago 7 (September): Aaron Sorkin film about the trial of the Chicago Seven, who took part in the protests/riots against the 1968 DNC
True History of the Kelly Gang (April): The story of Australian bushranger Ned Kelly and his gang as they flee from authorities during the 1870s.
West Side Story (December): Steven Spielberg's remake of the classic musical
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies