House votes to recognize Armenian Genocide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:26:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House votes to recognize Armenian Genocide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: House votes to recognize Armenian Genocide  (Read 4358 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »

Man, the Gosar statement is darkly hilarious in how it tries to contort the mental framework of the Cold War era "AH COMMIES/ RESPECT MUH ALLIES" with the Samuel Huntington new conservatism of "AH MUSLIMS" when the two are contradictory.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »

About time. My opinion of Omar has just gone steadily downhill. I regret ever thinking highly of her, and it's shameful that so many of my fellow progressives continue to defend her, when the same type of nonsense would get denounced by them if it were coming from a Republican. We can do so much better than her.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »

She was right in stating that an appropriate recognition of that genocide by Congress would include a recognition of other genocides, such as the Transatlantic Slave Trade and that of the Native Americans.

So if the House was voting on a motion to call the transatlantic slave trade a genocide do you think Omar would vote present in that case if other genocides were not also mentioned in the motion?

Actually, the most salient hypothetical alternative scenario would be a vote for recognizing Israeli conflict with Palestinians as a genocide. I doubt she would have conjured up this weak-ass whataboutist excuse in that scenario.
lol
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

Yeah the Republicans voting against it are weird, like I think half of them are retiring and 4/11 are from Indiana.
Goddam*t Indiana.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »

Yeah the Republicans voting against it are weird, like I think half of them are retiring and 4/11 are from Indiana.
What's the reasoning there? Arms sales?

Indiana sells arms to the Turks?

If some kind of huge international scandal or conspiracy ended up centering on Indiana I would never stop laughing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »

If some kind of huge international scandal or conspiracy ended up centering on Indiana I would never stop laughing.

Ever seen Stranger Things?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »

Stranger things have happened.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »

How would Cenk Uygur have voted?
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »

https://abc7news.com/politics/us-house-of-representatives-passes-armenian-genocide-resolution/5657113/

Each year, on April 24, Armenian Americans flood the streets of Los Angeles to commemorate Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day, a holiday that commemorates the period between 1915 and 1923 when the Ottoman Empire systematically killed 1.5 million Armenians. Forty-nine states—including California—recognize the event as a genocide, but the United States had long failed to officially do so. Until today.

A legally non-binding resolution affirming that the U.S. should recognize the genocide was overwhelmingly approved in the House today, where the measure was shepherded by L.A. congressman Adam Schiff, who said in a tweet, “We will not be party to genocide denial. We will not be silent. We will never forget.”

From the article:

Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fla.), a member of the Turkish Caucus and opponent of the Schiff’s resolution, said, “The critical and longstanding relationship between the United States and Turkey is as essential as ever.”

Wexler added, “We all deeply mourn and pay respect to the horrific tragedy and loss of life that occurred at the beginning of the 20th century, but we must not compromise the safety and security of our troops abroad today.”

Robert Wexler (D-FL) is the FF here.  He's looking out for America, sees the big picture, and thank God for that.

I would also point out that this horrible event was committed not by a nation in existence today.  It was committed by the Ottoman Empire, and not modern Turkey.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »

Ever seen Stranger Things?

That was filmed in Georgia though...
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2019, 08:50:03 PM by Helsinkian »

I would also point out that this horrible event was committed not by a nation in existence today.  It was committed by the Ottoman Empire, and not modern Turkey.

And yet modern Turkey prosecutes people who call it a genocide within Turkey's borders, charging them with "denigration of the Turkish nation".
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2019, 08:48:04 PM »

I would also point out that this horrible event was committed not by a nation in existence today.  It was committed by the Ottoman Empire, and not modern Turkey.

And yet modern Turkey prosecutes people who call it a genocide within Turkey's borders, charging them with "denigration of the Turkish nation".

That's the internal affairs of Turkey.  I don't care for Turkey as a nation, but they are a NATO ally (even if they don't always act like one).
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »

https://abc7news.com/politics/us-house-of-representatives-passes-armenian-genocide-resolution/5657113/

Each year, on April 24, Armenian Americans flood the streets of Los Angeles to commemorate Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day, a holiday that commemorates the period between 1915 and 1923 when the Ottoman Empire systematically killed 1.5 million Armenians. Forty-nine states—including California—recognize the event as a genocide, but the United States had long failed to officially do so. Until today.

A legally non-binding resolution affirming that the U.S. should recognize the genocide was overwhelmingly approved in the House today, where the measure was shepherded by L.A. congressman Adam Schiff, who said in a tweet, “We will not be party to genocide denial. We will not be silent. We will never forget.”

From the article:

Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fla.), a member of the Turkish Caucus and opponent of the Schiff’s resolution, said, “The critical and longstanding relationship between the United States and Turkey is as essential as ever.”

Wexler added, “We all deeply mourn and pay respect to the horrific tragedy and loss of life that occurred at the beginning of the 20th century, but we must not compromise the safety and security of our troops abroad today.”

Robert Wexler (D-FL) is the FF here.  He's looking out for America, sees the big picture, and thank God for that.

Then what’s the problem with calling it a genocide?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »

From the article:

It's very simple.  I'm not going to advocate calling out other nations, especially when they are our allies (albeit one with complications when it comes to Turkey) over things that happened over 100 years ago.  I'm about preventing the next genocide.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2019, 09:24:06 PM »

Many would consider the genocide to have lasted well after WWI, until 1923. There were mass killings of Greeks and Armenians during the "Turkish War of Independence" at the hands of the Turkish revolutionaries led by Ataturk (i.e. not the Ottomans).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »

From the article:

It's very simple.  I'm not going to advocate calling out other nations, especially when they are our allies (albeit one with complications when it comes to Turkey) over things that happened over 100 years ago.  I'm about preventing the next genocide.

But we're not allies with the Ottoman Empire, are we, Fuzzy?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »

From the article:

Was it genocide?  Likely, yes.  Lot's of Armenians died, and I find the Turkish arguments that it was not genocide rather unconvincing.

Do I want the Congress to affirm this in a resolution.  No, I do not.  That would not be in the practical interest of America and its citizens.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2019, 09:48:12 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2019, 09:51:57 PM by Technocracy Timmy »

US troops stationed in Turkey can’t leave the premises of military installations there due to rising tensions in the nation.

Perhaps we should have a broader discussion about why we’re sending men and women in uniform to a nation already that hostile to us. And a follow up discussion for why we’re so strongly attached to a nation that could retaliate against our military presence further simply for recognizing historical realities.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2019, 10:36:31 PM by Long Defeat tactician »

From the article:

Was it genocide?  Likely, yes.  Lot's of Armenians died, and I find the Turkish arguments that it was not genocide rather unconvincing.

Do I want the Congress to affirm this in a resolution.  No, I do not.  That would not be in the practical interest of America and its citizens.

Either there's a continuity between the Ottoman Empire and Turkey or there isn't. You can't seem to make up your mind.

If your argument is that there is no such continuity in reality but the Turks think there is and ought to be deferred to on the subject, then you're arguing that the nationalist self-concept of a foreign country is compelling enough to justify the US government refusing to recognize obvious historical realities. That argument might have held water back when Turkey was a bulwark against the Reds, but we're just not living in that world anymore. Sorry, but I'm not going to accept the US government continuing to gaslight itself for the sake of an alliance we shouldn't be in.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2019, 10:50:05 PM »

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but this vote came on the anniversary of the founding of Turkey. I highly doubt that was a coincidence. Congress is without question livid with the current situation and with Turkey. I really have to question their status in NATO. Personally, I'm of the mindset that Turkey should be expelled from NATO. I actually really have no idea how that would work or even if it's even been contemplated before.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:51 PM »

From the article:

Do you not think knowledge of past genicides is crucial to preventing the next genocide?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2019, 11:57:17 PM »

Turkey is the successor state of the Ottoman Empire.

Suggesting that Turkey is not responsible for anything the Ottoman Empire did is like suggesting Russia cannot be held accountable for actions committed by the Soviet Union.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2019, 12:20:04 AM »

Turkey is the successor state of the Ottoman Empire.

Suggesting that Turkey is not responsible for anything the Ottoman Empire did is like suggesting Russia cannot be held accountable for actions committed by the Soviet Union.

Yes, the equivalent would be if Fuzzy insisted that Russia had no relationship to the Soviet Union...as part of an argument for why we shouldn't recognize the Holodomor because it would upset Putin.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2019, 01:02:34 AM »

Even Jacobin American's namesake is calling out Omar on her bullsh*t.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2019, 03:39:04 AM »

Look on the bright side of things.
We found an issue where Fuzzy and Ilhan Omar agree.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies