United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:01:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019  (Read 138560 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: October 29, 2019, 03:25:01 PM »

438 to 20, the bill for the General Election passes. All that's left is the Lords.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:18:07 PM »

I suspect they'll get their act together, but man are the Conservatives making Theresa May look like a competent campaigner at the moment.

(Fantastic to see the Arthur theme back!)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »

Tried to watch the debate, but couldn't, it seemed absurdly cringeworthy.

Also, Boris is absolutely incompetent as a debater. From what I saw before moving onto something else, Corbyn - hopelessly mediocre as he is - seemed to be doing a lot better.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 08:17:28 PM »

I have wonder what kind of result would force Swinson into resigning. Would she be able to stay on if the party barely makes any gains - or even loses seats -? Are we looking at Tim Farron 2: Electric Boogaloo?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »

Ouch. I do feel sorry for the Lib Dem staffers who will have to work extra hard on those "x party can't win here!" bar charts.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »

Jo Swinson apologises for backing coalition's austerity policies

Jo Swinson has repeatedly apologised for her role in austerity measures under the Lib Dem-Conservative coalition after she was pressed in a BBC interview over why her party is seeking to roll back several measures she voted for in the 2010-15 administration. Swinson, who is facing criticism of her tactical decisions and voter appeal in a campaign which has seen the Lib Dems’ poll rating gradually slip, also said she would remain as leader even the party ended up with fewer than the 21 MPs they began the election with. “I’m continuing as Liberal Democrat leader,” she said. “I’ve got a job to do and I’ve just been elected to do it.” Asked if she would remain regardless of the result, she replied: “I’m here to stay and we’re going to get a great result.”

The quizzing on benefit cuts began with Neil noting that the Lib Dems wanted to scrap the bedroom tax, which cuts benefits for people living in social homes with more rooms than they are deemed to need. “Who voted nine times to introduce the bedroom tax?” he asked. “The Liberal Democrats in government, including myself,” said Swinson, who held various junior ministerial roles from 2012 to 2015. She added: “Which I have previously said – and I’m happy to say again – was wrong. And I’m sorry about that, and it was one of the things that we did get wrong.” Swinson also acknowledged that while in the coalition she backed the benefits cap, which limits the maximum benefits income a family can receive regardless of circumstances, and private tendering in the NHS – all of which she now wants to reverse.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/04/jo-swinson-lib-dem-apologises-for-backing-coalition-austerity-policies

We're so sorry'f the bedroom tax
Has been causing you distress in any way

'Cause ve vere only obeying orders
And the one who made us do it all was "he"!

(Spitting Image at its prime would have been so brutal on the current leaders)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »

Wonderful sense of humor there, just joking around by describing his leader as a unelectable security risk.

I have to say I'm amazed on how Labour just manages to screw up even when the Conservatives leave themselves virtually open for attack.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies