United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:24:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019  (Read 139012 times)
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« on: November 04, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

Seems as if it is 2017 all over again. Which is expected, but disappointing, in my personal opinion, as it shows voters are willing to ignore the problems of the two main parties as long as they keep their opponent out of Westminster. Which just makes it easier for weak or unpopular leaders, like Corbyn, to stay in power and not be held accountable.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 06:16:39 AM »

From what I am seeing in other websites, the Corbynistas haven't learned anything at all. It's ninety percent blaming the media, as if it weren't going to be there next time and ten percent joking about how Tony Blair still hasn't been sent to the Hague, after his critical remarks. I fully expect another big Tory win in 2024, which is heartbreaking.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 09:18:19 AM »

From what I am seeing in other websites, the Corbynistas haven't learned anything at all. It's ninety percent blaming the media, as if it weren't going to be there next time and ten percent joking about how Tony Blair still hasn't been sent to the Hague, after his critical remarks. I fully expect another big Tory win in 2024, which is heartbreaking.

There have been plenty of interesting and frank Labour left analyses of the defeat, if you care to look for them rather than just have your prejudices confirmed by zoomers on social media.

And one could be equally selectively unflattering about the reaction of confirmed Corbyn critics to the defeat, there's often precious little insight or honest analysis to be found there either.

("muh muh THREE ELECTIONS muh", though even that is less moronic than those actually calling for literally everybody who voted for Corbyn to be expelled en masse - which yes I have actually seen)

Maybe you are right about the degree of leftism there not being proportional to Labour as a whole, but the newer generations, of which those people are part of, still compose most of the party's membership. This is why I'm concluding what I did. I'm not prejucided against the Left at all, by the way, I'd fully support Sanders' candidacy.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »

I'd be hesistant to overstate the influence of the tabloids. That is, the vast majority of non-geriatrics read neither the Sun nor the Mirror, and their continued influence broadly comes down to their ability to set the agenda that the rest of the media (TV news in particular) follow. And it's not as if Scousers are less inclined to watch TV...

When it comes to television, I've noticed BBC in particular being singled out the most during this election, for slanted coverage towards the Conservatives, by several Labour activists. Of course, the other side of the political aisle has been saying the exact opposite for years, so, if anything, that only makes me believe it's an unbiased station even more.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies