United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:41:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019  (Read 135957 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 02, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »

With Labor gaining, it looks like this could end up as some sort of 2017 redux, where conservative PM calls for new elections in light of strong polling numbers, but then ends up with a bare victory and another hung parliament as leftwing voters come home to Labor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »

With Labor gaining, it looks like this could end up as some sort of 2017 redux, where conservative PM calls for new elections in light of strong polling numbers, but then ends up with a bare victory and another hung parliament as leftwing voters come home to Labor.

Perhaps Johnson will be able to stand his ground better than May, but if indeed we do get another hung parliament and Labour can't form some sort of coalition to secure power we're right back to where we were before and the Brexit demons continue to haunt the country.

I guess thats Johnson's argument really, but it doesn't paint a great picture to the electorate: "vote for me or else we're going to be trapped in perpetual gridlock"

Yup, though Johnson seems to have "cleaned" his parlamentary faction by throwing out skeptics of his course or Brexit in general. I suppose all Tories running with a shot a winning their district are Brexiteers.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:40:17 AM »

I have a potentially stupid question: Is there no parliament as of now? BoJo's and Corbyn's Wikipedia articles say their term as MP expired on Nov 6? And their district article says current officeholder is vacant? I know the House of Commons is out of session, but MPs should still be in office?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 02:40:34 AM »

At least the back on forth is likely to end now. Hopefully Labor can recover under different leadership, though it's probabl hard to ever get to an own majority since their former bastion Scottland is now hardly winnable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies