United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:55:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 69
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019  (Read 135777 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: December 11, 2019, 06:36:10 AM »

I would caution against over-analysing any of the shifts shown in individual constituencies in any of the various MRPs around now - by definition they won't mean much at all except in aggregate.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1451 on: December 11, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »

I mean, if I had the choice between being interviewed by Piers Morgan and taking up residence inside a fridge, the fridge would win every time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1452 on: December 11, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »

Seeing Skinner go down would be a Portillo moment though.

The thing about that was that Portillo was a high profile cabinet minister, widely understood to be on the cusp of launching a leadership bid. He was also thought to be safe enough, that area being very different twenty two years ago (yes we're old) to what it is like today.

Whereas the potential loss of Bolsover has been heavily trailed across the media for months. And, bluntly, while Skinner used to be one of Labour's highest profile backbenchers, on the telly all the time, these days he is not. I suspect that a lot of people would be surprised to find he was still around and still running for election.

But in the end this sort of thing does not matter. Michael Portillo is, I gather, doing fine now. So is Ed Balls.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1453 on: December 11, 2019, 08:08:17 AM »

How can you hide in a fridge, I tried when I was a 5 year old and failed.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1454 on: December 11, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »

The real important question is what is the British-African-American vote doing?

Even more importantly: will it rain in British NoVa tomorrow?

It always rains in British NoVA.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1455 on: December 11, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1456 on: December 11, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »

Can someone explain why Johnson is specifically avoiding interviews with high profile journos like Neil and Piers Morgan and why exactly its so important for him not to be "exposed"? Is he that much of a ticking time bomb or is there some sort of grudge between him and the fourth estate (that he's a part of himself)?

I'm trying to understand why it generates so much media attention in itself.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1457 on: December 11, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »

Seeing Skinner go down would be a Portillo moment though.

The thing about that was that Portillo was a high profile cabinet minister, widely understood to be on the cusp of launching a leadership bid. He was also thought to be safe enough, that area being very different twenty two years ago (yes we're old) to what it is like today.

Whereas the potential loss of Bolsover has been heavily trailed across the media for months. And, bluntly, while Skinner used to be one of Labour's highest profile backbenchers, on the telly all the time, these days he is not. I suspect that a lot of people would be surprised to find he was still around and still running for election.

But in the end this sort of thing does not matter. Michael Portillo is, I gather, doing fine now. So is Ed Balls.

Agreed. If there's going to be a Portillo moment in this election the likely candidates for it are Dominic Raab, Ian Duncan Smith, or maybe Steve Baker. If a Labour landslide was on the offer Jacob Rees-Mogg might be on that list.

Of course, the ultimate candidate would be Boris Johnson himself. If he lost his seat I think we'd have to rename the whole idea as the 'Boris Moment' or something.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1458 on: December 11, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »

It’s a milk delivery depot - the fridge will be massive.
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #1459 on: December 11, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »

If a Labour landslide was on the offer Jacob Rees-Mogg might be on that list.

I think the more likely challengers to JRM are the Lib Dems, considering the constituency polls.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1460 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:54 AM »

I find that people frequently misunderstand what a Portillo moment is. It isn't just 'someone high profile losing their seat' - there were plenty of those in 1997 and in every election since.

There are two elements to it - first it needs to be some so high profile that their absence from parliament fundamentally shifts the future of their party. Portillo losing his seat meant he couldn't run for the leadership of the Tory party for instance. Second, it needs to be completely unexpected. Saying 'I think x is a candidate for a Portillo moment' means that x cannot be a Portillo moment, because you expect it as a possibility. The real Portillo moment would be y losing their seat that nobody thought was even remotely likely to flip.

Therefore, Boris or Raab can't be Portillo moments this election because it's now fairly common knowledge their seats are at least somewhat vulnerable. If Corbyn or Patel lost, then that would be a Portillo moment. Of course, neither of them would lose in a trillion years, but you get the point...
urutzizu
« Reply #1461 on: December 11, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2019, 10:14:38 AM by urutzizu »

The Last Opinium Poll before the 2017 election (Compared to Results):
Con: 43% (43%)
Lab: 36% (41%)
Lib:    8%  (8%)
UKIP: 5%  (2%)

Junk pollster, but was 41(Lab)-39(Cons) last Time
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1462 on: December 11, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »

I find that people frequently misunderstand what a Portillo moment is. It isn't just 'someone high profile losing their seat' - there were plenty of those in 1997 and in every election since.

There are two elements to it - first it needs to be some so high profile that their absence from parliament fundamentally shifts the future of their party. Portillo losing his seat meant he couldn't run for the leadership of the Tory party for instance. Second, it needs to be completely unexpected. Saying 'I think x is a candidate for a Portillo moment' means that x cannot be a Portillo moment, because you expect it as a possibility. The real Portillo moment would be y losing their seat that nobody thought was even remotely likely to flip.

Therefore, Boris or Raab can't be Portillo moments this election because it's now fairly common knowledge their seats are at least somewhat vulnerable. If Corbyn or Patel lost, then that would be a Portillo moment. Of course, neither of them would lose in a trillion years, but you get the point...

Probably the closest recent examples we've had here in the States came from the 2018 midterms.  Though the Democrats were expected to flip the House, they also picked up a few seats that were considered pretty safely Republican.  To me, the biggest surprise of the night was Kendra Horn (OK-05), a Democrat who won in an R+10 district 50.7-49.3.  The poll taken closest to election night predicted that incumbent Steve Russell (R) would win by twelve points. 

Mind you, it doesn't necessarily qualify in full as this flip didn't change the political landscape.
Babeuf

« Reply #1463 on: December 11, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »

Probably the closest recent examples we've had here in the States came from the 2018 midterms.  Though the Democrats were expected to flip the House, they also picked up a few seats that were considered pretty safely Republican.  To me, the biggest surprise of the night was Kendra Horn (OK-05), a Democrat who won in an R+10 district 50.7-49.3.  The poll taken closest to election night predicted that incumbent Steve Russell (R) would win by twelve points.  

Mind you, it doesn't necessarily qualify in full as this flip didn't change the political landscape.
Eric Cantor losing his primary when he was next in line to be Speaker after Boehner seems closer. Very few saw it coming and it impacted the House leadership. It wasn't during a national election though, so that might disqualify it.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1464 on: December 11, 2019, 11:16:01 AM »

Okay, this is the final YouGov MRP, separated into their Safe/Likely/lean/Toss statistical rating categories. I'll analyze it a bit, since there  is a good amount of data hiding behind the topline.

Compared to the previous YouGov MRP poll, the Tories lost net 11 seats north of Coventry to Labour. However, that topline obscures a nastier number. All 11 still remain close, and the algorithm considers them Lean or Tossups. On labours side of the equation though, 8 seats slid from Likely/Lean/Toss labour significantly towards the tories, and a good number more moved towards team blue outside of the competitive band. This is compared to 5 seats which left the battlefield, though nearly all were urban (like Wirral South) and probably never should have been in the battlefield. Only High peak is a notable movement in labours favor off the field of play. In essence, the potential Tory gains in the north got wider and more accessible.

it's the south and London where things moved in a less favorable fashion for the Conservatives. A whole lot of seats in the commuter shires moved from safe to likely, and plenty of targeted seats got more marginal. it's very well possible that YouGov are underselling potential Tory losses in the South because of how every model misses the Lib-Dems and their 'key targets' campaign style. The last thing I have to add is that YouGov has no demographic variable for Jews even in the large MRP, the community is too small, so just ignore all three Barnet seats. They got 2/3 Barnet's wrong last time in 2017, so this is a repeated offence that really isn't their fault.

I have already mentioned mostly how YouGov has no idea what is going on in Scotland, but I will just summarize it here. There is only one safe seat for any party in the 59, and half are competitive. Last time, nearly half of YouGov's miss-called seats were in Scotland. No model has any idea what is going on because we only have one years worth of party loyalty to work with, it's a 3 or 4 party system, and tactical voting is a realistic thing. Even the BBC exit poll made some LOL tier predictions up here because of how uncertain this whole thing is.

Wales deserves mentioning because of conflicting data sources. On one hand, we have the YouGov Welsh barometer giving us a Lab+3 result. On the other hand the MRP has Lab+9 for their welsh subsample. Both the poll and the model were very accurate in 2017 so we are left with a confusing picture. One thing that is clear is that five northern welsh seats (Aberconwy, Dely, Clwyd S, Vale of Clywd, Wrexham) all seem to be moving as one unit. Oh, and who knows whats going on in Ynys Mon, every model under the sun historically fails to get enough targeted data on PC to accurately project their Westminster vote.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1465 on: December 11, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »

YouGov says this seat is a Lab-tilting tossup, this poll suggests Con-tilting. Either way, tossup.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #1466 on: December 11, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »

Regarding this poll..

The Last Opinium Poll before the 2017 election (Compared to Results):
Con: 43% (43%)
Lab: 36% (41%)
Lib:    8%  (8%)
UKIP: 5%  (2%)

...from the Independent

Adam Drummond, head of political polling at Opinium, said:
While 9 per cent of voters are still undecided, a disproportionate share of this group are people who voted Labour in 2017 and Leave in 2016. The size (or existence) of any Conservative majority runs through this late-deciding group so what they do tomorrow will be crucial.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1467 on: December 11, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-11/johnson-s-poll-gamble-just-got-a-199-million-vote-of-confidence

"Boris Johnson’s Poll Gamble Just Got a $199 Million Vote of Confidence"

vileplume
« Reply #1468 on: December 11, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »

Angela Rayner going down in Ashton-under-Lyne would be the best example of a 'Portillo moment' should it happen: up and coming shadow cabinet minister and potential future leader, strongly disliked by her political opponents, who has a seat considered safe (though not utterly bombproof like Corbyn's). Rayner's current majority of 28.4% is pretty similar to Portillo's '92 majority of 31.8% as well.

There has also been some (probably false) murmurs that Labour is deeply unhappy with what they're seeing in the Ashton constituency and YouGov only has her winning by 12%. People forget that in the run up to '97 there was a poll in the Observer only showing Portillo winning Enfield Southgate by 3%, so the warning signs were there but most people just chose to ignore them. This is similar to the situation with Rayner as there has been some (probably not credible) reports that she could be in trouble that most people (including me) are choosing to dismiss.

In all likelihood she will hold the seat easily but if somehow she manages to lose, it would definitely be the next 'Portillio moment'.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1469 on: December 11, 2019, 12:45:42 PM »

Angela Rayner going down in Ashton-under-Lyne would be the best example of a 'Portillo moment' should it happen: up and coming shadow cabinet minister and potential future leader, strongly disliked by her political opponents, who has a seat considered safe (though not utterly bombproof like Corbyn's). Rayner's current majority of 28.4% is pretty similar to Portillo's '92 majority of 31.8% as well.

There has also been some (probably false) murmurs that Labour is deeply unhappy with what they're seeing in the Ashton constituency and YouGov only has her winning by 12%. People forget that in the run up to '97 there was a poll in the Observer only showing Portillo winning Enfield Southgate by 3%, so the warning signs were there but most people just chose to ignore them. This is similar to the situation with Rayner as there has been some (probably not credible) reports that she could be in trouble that most people (including me) are choosing to dismiss.

In all likelihood she will hold the seat easily but if somehow she manages to lose, it would definitely be the next 'Portillio moment'.

Another one would be Laura Pidcock losing her seat in Northwest Durham.  She represents the hard left of the party and some have tipped her as a successor.  Her seat also part of the Red wall, but went leave heavily in Brexit and she won by 18 points in 2017 so not an insurmountable obstacle to overcome.  MRP only gives her a 5 point lead.

Also Dennis Skinner losing while no surprise should get is mention as he is a legend for the party, yet MRP suggests he is tipped to lose his seat of Bolsover but still close.  Interestingly enough although not running, Kenneth Clarke's seat of Rushcliffe only shows Tories 10 only ten points ahead, but that is a whole different talking point, but wouldn't be surprised if Labour wins that one in 2024.
rob in cal
« Reply #1470 on: December 11, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »

I've been having trouble opening the files on some of the polls, so my question is, what are the "already voted" numbers looking like, or do British firms even post that?
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #1471 on: December 11, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »

So apparently if Boris Johnson loses Uxbridge tomorrow night, the Tories will give him a peerage and put him in the unelected House of Lords (similar to senate) so he carry on being Prime Minister.

Iain Duncan Smith, Dominic Raab and Theresa De Villere giving same assurances but timing different.

On Twitter (melt down) the BBCs chief political correspondent Laura Kuenssberg has broken election laws and been referred to the police by the electoral commission for disclosing postal vote counts in live tv. (Big no-no). Guardian reporting they believe ‘bridges burnt for her to continue’ and she has a job lined up in Tory CCHQ/Boris government.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #1472 on: December 11, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »

With regards to races, speaker could lose in Chorley to a man who changed his name to ‘mark Brexit smith’.

Foreign secretary - Dominic Raab - is in deep trouble in affluent but remain Surrey. (Actor Hugh Grant campaigning for Liberal Democrat’s)

Liberal Democrat’s costing Labor party 25 seats in wales, midlands and north. If liberals get their deposits (5%) in conservative-labor marginals then that’s the difference between a Tory government and a hung parliament. So the liberals are ensuring Brexit not stopping it.
Kyng
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1473 on: December 11, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »

Liberal Democrat’s costing Labor party 25 seats in wales, midlands and north. If liberals get their deposits (5%) in conservative-labor marginals then that’s the difference between a Tory government and a hung parliament. So the liberals are ensuring Brexit not stopping it.

Not necessarily. The only people voting Lib Dem in constituencies like that will be:

1) Their most devoted and die-hard supporters, who are unwilling to vote tactically for the "lesser of two evils", and;
2) At the opposite end of the spectrum, protest-voters who don't like the two main parties.

If the Lib Dems weren't running, then I expect more than half of the people in group #1 would hold their noses for Labour - but a minority would instead opt for the Tories. As for group #2 (which I suspect would be larger than group #1), most of those people simply wouldn't vote (or they'd just vote for a different minor candidate).

Sure, the Tories will win or hold a few extra constituencies thanks to Lab/Lib vote-splitting, but I suspect you'll be able to count the number on one hand.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1474 on: December 11, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2019, 05:34:19 PM by bore »

I don't know how many people here still know who I am, but for those who do and care what I think this is what I think we’ve seen and learnt over the course of the campaign.

I have never been a prolific poster - if I have nothing to say I would rather do that in no words than in many - but I have been even less so during this election. This is partially because I hate the twitter motto of “The first take, right or wrong”. We have seen in 2015, 2016 and 2017 that polls, vox pops and focus groups are basically worthless, only election results tell us the truth. So it is a sign of a deformed intellect to make sweeping statements, for instance, about the electoral map being redrawn. We are not in a hurry, we will know for sure in a few short hours. Analysis can only be done when you have something to analyse, and for all the sound and fury in a campaign itself there is not much worth analysing.

The other reason for silence, though, is more personal. In football a common grenade to launch at opposition fans is “You only sing when you’re winning”. The virtuous fan is supposed to remain in the ground, no matter how badly his team are being thumped. Whether that is true virtue in sport is one thing, but it is clearly not in politics. If the party you dislike are winning, it’s not virtuous to watch their celebrations, its masochistic. And this campaign, even if the good guys win in the end, has been nothing but a triumph for everything I hate, from the always evil tories to the shrill incompetence of the lib dems, the hate of the print media to the craven cowardice of the BBC.

Nevertheless, inevitably, I post on this website, I live in Britain, I have been followed enough to know what’s going on. I am expecting, though only a fool would predict, a healthy tory majority. I will though, taking my own advice, save a post mortem on labour’s campaign and corbynism until we know that the patient is dead. The one thing I would say is you can not underestimate the political ramifications of a tory win on the demographic which most of us are a part of: the young, educated and on the left. We have seen, throughout this campaign, just as we did in 2017, that these people are exceptionally motivated- we had, for instance, 700 canvassers at one time in Putney. There was an expectation in the aftermath of 2017 that it was a turning point, in the next election that Labour would sweep in to power, while not perhaps in Westminster arithmetic, in the sense of momentum, the tories had consigned themselves to the past in 2017. Something was happening but the establishment did not know what it was. If, after all that, after all the chaos of the last two years, the tories win more seats then it will be a seismic event. Some will react by plowing on, confident in the actuaries eventual victory, some will abandon politics, some will decide the time has come for factional infighting and some will, having seen the BES figures and the other crosstabs, declare war on the boomers. I do not know what combination of these approaches will fill this vacuum but a look at the Democratic presidential primary does not give me much hope that we will make the right call.

If, when the clock does strike 10 though, the exit poll delivers a grim sentence, I’d like to offer two small crumbs of hope. Firstly, the tory campaign - if campaign is the right word given they spent more time avoiding than interacting with voters - when not robotically repeating Get Brexit Done, was an implicit rebuke of their policies of the last 9 years. That is not to say that the spending they propose on the NHS or on schools or the justice system is in anyway adequate, and obviously they can not be trusted even to do that. But it is a recognition on their part that Britain is in a terrible state, and that the electorate will not tolerate it. The left should take heart from the fact that for all their dirty tricks and bad intentions, the right wing can only row the state back so far. The next Labour government can build services that the tories can not touch, and that is a powerful motivator.

The other straw worth clutching to, redolent as it is of bad atlas takes, but true nonetheless, is that this is not an election that will produce an enduring tory government. Boris Johnson is phenomenally unpopular, kept in the race by the fact Corbyn is even more phenomenally unpopular, and he will not become more likeable. His central slogan is a lie which will be found out. His government will try, but it will fail, to get Brexit done, because Brexit will never be done, that is how trade negotiations work. It will not do anything close to enough to rebuild the crumbling public realm, its standard bearers will, whenever they are seen, make the publics skin crawl. It has nothing to offer. It would be eviscerated in a 2024 election. This future destruction, I should make clear, is not worth the present human misery that will occur if they are re-elected, but it is something to remember as you watch them gloat. Whatever happens tomorrow, sometime soon The Day Will Come.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies