United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 69
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Elections: December 12th, 2019  (Read 135744 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: December 04, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »
« edited: December 04, 2019, 04:58:55 PM by Oryxslayer »

-_-
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1151 on: December 04, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »

Everybody down one point, how on earth does that work?? Huh
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1152 on: December 04, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »

The total adds up to only 90% which is far too low.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1153 on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »

M E B Y O N   K E R N O W

They will win St Austell and Newquay with 4,200%
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1154 on: December 04, 2019, 05:43:25 PM »

I'm not sure what Dennis Skinner is actually like as a constituency MP in all fairness.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1155 on: December 04, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2019, 06:48:50 PM by CumbrianLeftie »

The total adds up to only 90% which is far too low.

It also shows the SNP up 1, and "Others" up by 4(!)

Supposedly this is the product of showing people a "full choice" of options.

But in many seats "others" are not standing at all, and in lots of places where they do they will poll derisory votes. It genuinely makes little sense at all.....
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #1156 on: December 04, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »

How are y'all's takes on the East Devon race?

Seems rather odd that LDs fielded a candidate here...
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1157 on: December 04, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2019, 06:38:06 PM by DaWN »

How are y'all's takes on the East Devon race?

Seems rather odd that LDs fielded a candidate here...

With Swire retiring, it'll be a comfortable Con hold. Much of the vote last time was against him rather than for her. I imagine she'll take second again though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1158 on: December 04, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »

Supposedly this is the product of showing people a "full choice" of options.

But in many seats "others" are not standing at all, and in many places where they do they will poll derisory votes. It genuinely makes little sense at all.....

Excellent example of why it's best to view the British polling industry with general contempt and to take its findings (any of them) with a degree of caution. Making a major methodological change with a week to go... Christ.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1159 on: December 04, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »

I'm not sure what Dennis Skinner is actually like as a constituency MP in all fairness.

Old fashioned. Not ineffectual (he's done quite a bit of good for it), but not the the sort to open every fête, kiss every baby and to write angry letters about every pothole and dog turd. Though the big mystery there is whether the 2017 figures represent the actual starting point or not - the situation there last time (with the constituency being intensively and intensely targeted on the one hand and with the CLP turning out not to have canvassing data etc. on the other) was rather unusual.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1160 on: December 04, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »

Which members of Change UK still on the sinking ship will survive, Soubry, Gapes, or Leslie or None of them?
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #1161 on: December 04, 2019, 09:05:47 PM »

Which members of Change UK still on the sinking ship will survive, Soubry, Gapes, or Leslie or None of them?

The ship is lost with all hands.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1162 on: December 04, 2019, 11:15:21 PM »

Solid 26% of antisemtitic jews there. That number will be much lower this election probably.

58% Conservative
11% Labour
27% Libdems
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1163 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »

What makes Catholics in the UK more likely to vote for Labour? I doubt all of them are Irish descendant, right?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1164 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:08 PM »

What makes Catholics in the UK more likely to vote for Labour? I doubt all of them are Irish descendant, right?

They're poorer and more working class. I don't know about this, but I would have to say a overwhelming majority will be of Irish descent.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1165 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:28 PM »

Have Jews historically been a strongly Conservative demographic, or was there a big swing to the Tories due to Corbyn among them?
DL
Canada

« Reply #1166 on: December 05, 2019, 12:58:53 AM »

Have Jews historically been a strongly Conservative demographic, or was there a big swing to the Tories due to Corbyn among them?

Up until very recently Jews tended to vote Labour and remember that the previous Labour leader Ed Miliband was Jewish.

What about the political preferences of the largest group of all - those with no religion?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1167 on: December 05, 2019, 01:10:44 AM »

They're poorer and more working class. I don't know about this, but I would have to say a overwhelming majority will be of Irish descent.

iirc either a large minority or an outright plurality of practicing Catholics in Great Britain today are of Eastern European descent, although cultural Catholics (sorry, BRTD) are still mostly Irish. They'd thus be doubly inclined against Brexit and shopkeeper-caste English nationalism.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #1168 on: December 05, 2019, 01:13:54 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2019, 01:23:06 AM by rc18 »

iirc a plurality of practicing Catholics in England today are of Eastern European descent, although cultural Catholics (sorry, BRTD) are still mostly Irish.

Though of course most Poles etc in the UK do not have British citizenship and so cannot vote in a GE. Assuming the BES study is of GE voters it is mostly going to be Catholics of Irish descent.

As for no religion, that's related to age so the non-religious were more Labour in 2017.

http://www.brin.ac.uk/religious-affiliation-and-party-choice-at-the-2017-general-election/
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1169 on: December 05, 2019, 01:43:57 AM »

Liverpool and Glasgow are probably the most "Irish" cities in Great Britain (by descent - London got most of the 20th century immigrants).
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1170 on: December 05, 2019, 01:46:11 AM »

From what I understand they were Labour voters until the 1970s, then embraced Thatcher (who represented a very Jewish constituency), voted for Blair and Brown, and then swung away from Labour under Miliband.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1171 on: December 05, 2019, 02:31:16 AM »

From what I understand they were Labour voters until the 1970s, then embraced Thatcher (who represented a very Jewish constituency), voted for Blair and Brown, and then swung away from Labour under Miliband.

I also think SDP and Lib Dem got a high vote amongst jews in 83/87/92, surpassing even the Labour Party in preference in 83 and 87.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1172 on: December 05, 2019, 03:02:04 AM »

A lot of it is geographical.  Northwest region of England, particularly Liverpool has the largest Catholic and also London is somewhat higher and those areas tend to go Labour.

When I would be interested is how Hindus are leaning?  BME lean heavily Labour, but I've heard Tories do reasonably well amongst Hindus and looking at Muslim numbers that would suggest Labour is ahead amongst Hindus, but a lot more competitive.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1173 on: December 05, 2019, 04:27:53 AM »

Thinking about them as a single demographic was probably somewhat misleading historically and may still be to an extent.

The largest Jewish communities in Britain have always been in London (there are a couple of wards in Bury and Salford where the Jewish vote is significant, but even there it's not massive and after that the next biggest community is probably Gateshead, where it's never been electorally significant.) In London the Jewish vote was historically most notable in inner east London, where it was very working-class and very Labour (or Communist, way back when.) As is the case with all the other communities in inner east London, their grandchildren and great-grandchildren are these days more likely to live on the fringes of London or in the commuter belt and they're much more middle-class and accordingly rather less Labour.

The north London Jewish communities are rather more middle-class and much more concentrated (although there too there has been dispersal of the community, especially to Hertfordshire.) Historically they were always relatively Tory, but have been very much more so in recent decades (though probably not significantly more than non-Jews in similar demographic circumstances.)

Then you've got the Haredi communities (generally more interested in local than national politics) and small numbers of Jews scattered across the country (who are somewhat understudied and may or may not perceive their Jewishness in the same way as residents of, say, Finchley.)

A lot of the shift in support up until 2010 and possibly 2015 is probably best explained by the shift in the demographic make-up of the Jewish community/communities. Studies suggest we lost a lot of support under Miliband (caveat: polling of particular communities tends to be bad even by the standards of British polling) and this has often been linked to Labour's recognition of Palestine - whether this is true, or whether the Jewish voters most exercised by that are also the most likely to have been swinging away from Labour anyway is perhaps still an open question. Since 2015 support has dropped, but the change has been as much qualitative as quantitative - there is a significant difference between people not voting Labour and believing that Labour actively hates them.
urutzizu
« Reply #1174 on: December 05, 2019, 04:46:04 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2019, 04:55:47 AM by urutzizu »

When I would be interested is how Hindus are leaning?  BME lean heavily Labour, but I've heard Tories do reasonably well amongst Hindus and looking at Muslim numbers that would suggest Labour is ahead amongst Hindus, but a lot more competitive.

Labours relationship with the Hindu community has gone quite bad recently. Hindus (and Sikhs) are considerably more affluent then other minorities which already during Camerons times made them significantly more competitive for the Conservatives, but recently there has been escalating row after Labour Conference in the Summer passed a motion that condemned Indias treatment of Kashmir. The Indian Government attacked Labour for that and since then the overseas BJP have been meddling in the election by trying to get the Diaspora to vote Tory. Labour later had to u-turn on that. After the Chief Rabbi statement, the Hindu Council of Britain supported him, and went even further accusing Labour of being a "anti-Hindu party". There was also controversy due to accusations of Labour refusing to field Indian Candidates. Stockport was the only open Labour seat where there is one running, and in Keith Vaz Seat, Leicester East one of the Seats with the Highest Indian population in the Country, a shortlisted Indian Candidate was allegedly dropped and a different one imposed from the Leadership.
The Tories on the other Hand have with People like Priti Patel strongly pushed a message trying to appeal to that community, and people like Bob Blackman in Harrow have basically been touting the BJP line.

Of course important to keep in mind the vast majority of British Hindus do not care much about Kashmir or anything like that when Voting, and Issues like Brexit is going to likely be far more important for them. According to Polling British Indians split about 60-40 for Remain in the Referendum with Higher Leave support among Sikhs than Hindus. So presumably there is not that much ground for the Conservatives to gain. The Lib Dems could certainly do well among many of the Suburban London Entrepreneur/Doctor kind of Hindus, I imagine.

Yougov did a poll among British Indians just recently (only 40% of British Indians are Hindu though) and the Numbers were 34(lab) 24(con) 18(lib), so that should give one a good indication.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies