Which state will go R first?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:39:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which state will go R first?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Maryland or California (this is a mockery of all the stupid which will go D first ones)?
Maryland

California

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Which state will go R first?  (Read 1480 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »

Title.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 01:12:01 AM »

California is never going to be what it was, but I think it has a more volatile future. There's more room for Republicans to grow. Maryland is pretty much a part of the Washington, D.C. MSA now and will vote accordingly.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 03:54:43 AM »

The one with a popular incumbent Republican governor would likely go Republican before the one with a popular incumbent Democratic governor.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »

CA's growth is slowing. Long-term, who knows what it means but it could change some of the political landscape down the road.  MD's is more stable
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »

Voted for CA. They both have a mix of non-whites and college-educated whites, which is basically the perfect mix for the modern Democratic Party. CA has a larger non-white population proportionally, but MD is 30% African American compared to just 6.5% for CA. I think it's more likely that Asians and Hispanics start voting GOP than it is for African Americans, hence my belief that CA is more likely to flip. MD also has a higher educational attainment, and people with advanced degrees especially seem likely to continue leaning towards Democrats going forward.

Additionally, MD is presumably more reliant on the activities of the federal government (i.e. lots of voters commute to DC or work in federal positions), which also seems like something that will tie MD to the Democratic Party going forward.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:03:00 AM »

California's terrible governance--utterly hideous inequality, housing unaffordability, compounding climate crises etc. gives the GOP more of an avenue into power even if it isn't especially likely.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »

I voted MD, not that I expect either to do so in the near term: CA's population is volatile, all right, but most of the volatility seems to come from from likely GOP voters leaving the state, and likely Democratic voters replacing them (through immigration).

MD could conceivably go Republican in the unlikely event of a major (1972- or 1984-like) landslide.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »

for either of these to go R there would probably have to be a massive realignment.  But I'd say Democrats have a much more stable floor in Maryland so CA would go first.  It's almost 1/3 AA and there are a lot of liberal policy wonk types in Montgomery County.  While Larry Hogan won re-election, the underfunded Democrat got about 44% of the vote.

Also, the white voters in the state are more liberal than people presume.  This was one of or the first states where gay marriage was legalized through popular vote. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »

This is a tough one.  The long run trend is better for Republicans in Maryland, and they were able to elect Hogan and then reelect him by a landslide in a national Dem wave year.  On the other hand, those were state level elections, Hogan is super socially liberal, and the DC suburbs have the population to narrowly control the stat and they have no reason to back a national R any more.  It's also easy to envision a Detroit-style sh*t hits the fan economic scenario in CA if tech eventually crashes, which would greatly aid a national anti-Silicon Valley Republican campaign.  And SoCal has the numbers to outvote the Bay Area in such a crisis.  Add in the declining population and one could see a populist Republican message eventually resonating there.  I'm going with California.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 05:31:06 PM »

California but only because of the DC suburbs. I think overall that Dems will peak in urban areas in 2020/2024 and the GOP will make inroads with inner-city minorities eventually. If it weren’t for DC, these trends would cause Maryland to shift right rapidly (Baltimore) but the DC suburbs will change this.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »

Its near impossible to imagine either going Republican under the current alignment, but the future will depend on whether the GOP makes inroads with Latinos or Black voters.  I think its likelier than the GOP gains substantially with Black voters in the future, so MD appears more likely; however, California is probably a bit more amendable to the GOP at the present moment. 
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 05:04:19 AM »

This is a tough one.  The long run trend is better for Republicans in Maryland, and they were able to elect Hogan and then reelect him by a landslide in a national Dem wave year.  On the other hand, those were state level elections, Hogan is super socially liberal, and the DC suburbs have the population to narrowly control the stat and they have no reason to back a national R any more.  It's also easy to envision a Detroit-style sh*t hits the fan economic scenario in CA if tech eventually crashes, which would greatly aid a national anti-Silicon Valley Republican campaign.  And SoCal has the numbers to outvote the Bay Area in such a crisis.  Add in the declining population and one could see a populist Republican message eventually resonating there.  I'm going with California.

Keep in mind though that much of the declining population is white emigration.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »

CA. MD is hopeless.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: