SCOTUS sides with cheerleader who mocked her school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:28:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS sides with cheerleader who mocked her school
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS sides with cheerleader who mocked her school  (Read 514 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2021, 09:40:13 AM »

WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »

Surprised that Amy Coney Barret doesn't want to ban the F word.

Why did Thomas dissent?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »

Why did Thomas dissent?
Thomas believes that public schools aren’t state actors for purposes of the 1st and 14th Amendments for esoteric reasons that have nothing to do with anything. 
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »

Why did Thomas dissent?
Thomas is nothing but a totalitarian who hates democracy and freedom.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »

Reading the decision now, and it's pretty clear-cut, especially this bit:

Quote from: p. 7
Second, from the student speaker’s perspective, regulations of off-campus speech, when coupled with regulations of on-campus speech, include all the speech a student utters during the full 24-hour day.  That means courts must be more skeptical of a school’s efforts to regulate off-campus speech, for doing so may mean the student cannot engage in that kind of speech at all.  When it comes to political or religious speech that occurs outside school or a school program or activity, the school will have a heavy burden to justify intervention.

(Side note: I really hate that the Supreme Court decisions have two spaces after every period.)
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:19:36 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 11:24:03 AM by soundchaser »

Thomas's dissent (unsurprisingly) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He relies mostly on an obscure precedent, keeps invoking the concept of "subversive" speech (which is protected by the First Amendment, as I understand) disrupting school order,  and basically ignores the entire concept of in loco parentis meaning limited regulatory authority.

I especially hate this line of reasoning:

Quote from: p. 8, dissent
Second, the majority fails to consider whether schools often will have more authority, not less, to discipline students who transmit speech through social media.  Because off-campus speech made through social media can be received on campus (and can spread rapidly to countless people), it often will have a greater proximate tendency to harm the school environment than will an off-campus in-person conversation. Third, and relatedly, the majority uncritically adopts the assumption  that  B. L.’s  speech,  in  fact, was off-campus. But, the location of her speech is a much trickier question than the majority acknowledges.  Because speech travels, schools sometimes may be able to treat speech as on campus even though it originates off campus.

So if a student gives an off-campus speech considered "subversive" that gets covered by a local newspaper and then transmitted back to the school, is the student liable for the method of transmission? That seems a dangerous precedent to set.

EDIT: Alito gets feisty about some of this thinking:

Quote from: p. 10, concurrence
...even if flinty Vermont parents at the time in question could be understood to have implicitly delegated to the teacher the authority to whip their son for his off-premises speech, the same inference is wholly unrealistic today.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »

good news!

I wonder how Biden is taking this loss.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 03:55:28 PM »

Actually surprised by the sole dissent. Alito tends to be more anti-First Amendment than Thomas. Thomas was actually kind of non-terrible on free speech issues back when his buddy Scalia was still around because Scalia was in fact actually pretty good on free speech issued but without his guidance Thomas has just gone off the deep end apparently.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »

good news!

Probably fine because the decision doesn't impact the ability of schools to handle things like e-bullying which was the main concern in regards to the case. The decision basically says that schools have to meet a pretty strict criteria to discipline off-campus behavior, but not that it can't be done at all.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 04:08:21 PM »

good news!

Probably fine because the decision doesn't impact the ability of schools to handle things like e-bullying which was the main concern in regards to the case. The decision basically says that schools have to meet a pretty strict criteria to discipline off-campus behavior, but not that it can't be done at all.

Explain further why Biden sided with the school.

Because without any further context, it looks like "Joe Biden hates students having freedom of speech".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

good news!

Because without any further context, it looks like "Joe Biden hates students having freedom of speech".

The Biden Administration expressed concerns that a broad decision against the school could limit the ability of schools to discipline for things like e-bullying that happened off grounds. It was more concern over precedent than this specific case.

Also I doubt Biden himself thought much about the case. He's taking a somewhat hands off approach to the Department of Justice.
Motorcity

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 04:15:21 PM »

Good

Schools should have the power to regulate and stop e-bullying outside of school (and bullying in general). But not to stop criticism of the school. These are two different things and the Supreme Court made this clear. Bravo
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »

good news!

I’m not sure if Biden sided with the school. It could have been DOJ bureaucrats left over from Trump that Biden hadn’t replaced yet. I know Garland hadn’t been appointed yet.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 05:01:57 PM »

Schools cannot be held accountable for actions their students take off-campus, so it stands to reason that they cannot discipline them for those actions either.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 05:41:07 PM »

Schools cannot be held accountable for actions their students take off-campus, so it stands to reason that they cannot discipline them for those actions either.
Exactly.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 06:47:35 PM »

Good Decision. Random cursing over the internet is dramatically different from hate speech.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies