Strayhorn enters governor's race as independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Strayhorn enters governor's race as independent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Strayhorn enters governor's race as independent  (Read 8621 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »

let me preface my remarks by saying i dont give a flip who wins this race.

however, strayhorn is taking the cowardly route.
RBH

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »

Primary predictions for the Dems:

Bell - 37%
Gammage - 34%
Alvarado - 26%
Jafer - 3%

Alvarado will poll high due to the "Victor Morales factor". In other words, Victor Morales, despite living in Dallas, won the nomination to the Senate in 1996 and went to the runoff in 2002 because of his surname and the high number of Hispanics voting in the Democratic primary.

As for the runoff, I'd say Bell, 61-39.

Gammage, Ben Grant (Lt. Gov candidate), and Fred Head (Comptroller candidate) are all members of  the group called the "Dirty Thirty" which existed in the early 70s and took out one House Speaker before Sharpstown.

Grant is the most likely nominee for Lt. Governor. But, once again, Alvarado could get votes just for having the surname Alvarado.

As for the general election.

Perry has the upperhand in West Texas.

Gammage's current residence is in Llano (Close to Austin). Basically Bell and Gammage don't have differing "base" areas.

Strayhorn doesn't really have a base. She's never done well in her home county (Travis County) as a Republican.

If Kinky and Carole are on the ballot, Kinky will finish third.

A lot of protest votes will go towards Kinky, probably a mix of rural areas and college campuses.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »

control the money.

sort of like a treasurer?

Sorta, but they are not the same.  Here in South Carolina we have both a Comptroller General and a State Treasurer as constitutional offices.  The Treasurer basically gets to sign the checks and the Comptroller makes certain that the treasurer was supposed to.  However, they have quite a bit more power in South Carolina than in most states.  They are two of the five members of our Budget and Control Board (along with the Governor and the chairs of the House and Senate budget commitees).  Bureaucratically, the B&CB acts like the GSA at the federal level except that it has the obligation to cut spending mid fiscal year if revenues aren't meeting projections and the power to decide where those cuts are going to come from.  Needless to say, the General Assembly usually does its best to avoid having the B&CB to wield that budget axe, since it only has control over two of the five votes.  It's one of the few unique features of my state's political system I wish were widely copied because it works.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 06:48:15 PM »

I should clarify one thing said earlier. 

Today is the last day to file for candidacy in Texas for a major party.  That's the reason the announcement had to come today from Strayhorn one way or another.
It is the same filing date for all candidates.  Essentially you are filing for the office, along with an intended nomination mechanism (as a party candidate selected by the GOP or Democrat primaries, or the Libertarian conventions; or as an independent candidate by petition).

The petition period does follow the primary runoffs, but this has more to do with the restriction of voters to the activities of a single party or supporting an independent candidate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The petition period begins as soon as the party candidates for the office is determined.  If there is a runoff for the office, the petition period begins after the runoff (April 11).  If there is a Democrat runoff for governor, both Friedman and Strayhorn lose a month.

I wouldn't be surprised if Staryhorn fails.  You either have to get people to deliberately not vote in the primaries; or you have to dig up registered voters who didn't bother to vote in the primaries.  The only thing that Strayhorn has going for her is that there aren't that many contested races.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 07:02:42 PM »

In Texas government, really close to nothing. 
The primary role is to certify the budget as being balanced.  The Comptroller's office also has some auditing authority over school districts, but this has been cut back by the legislature.

Texas has a biennial budget, and the legislature meets in regular session every other year.  The Comptroller has to certify the budget passed by the legislature as being balanced.  If she makes an estimate of a revenue shortfall in the budget, it doesn't win her any friends in the legislature, which then has to adjust the budget.  Outside the legislative sessions the governor and legislative leaders can adjust spending to keep the budget in balance.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 06:33:29 PM »

Rasmussen Reports poll, January 5, likely voters, MoE ± 4.5%:

Perry (R): 40%
Strayhorn (I): 21%
Bell (D): 14%
Friedman (I): 12%

Well, I guess the Democratic party is sadly dead in Texas.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/January%202006/Texas%20Governor%20January%205.htm

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 02:50:05 AM »

Rasmussen Reports poll, January 5, likely voters, MoE ± 4.5%:

Perry (R): 40%
Strayhorn (I): 21%
Bell (D): 14%
Friedman (I): 12%

Well, I guess the Democratic party is sadly dead in Texas.

Nope.  Chris Bell is just a really sh**tty candidate, as are the others, imo.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »

Wow - I'd like to see both Independents beat the Democrat Smiley

And just for clarification, I would vote for Strayhorn as an Independent as long as she promised to "re-join" the GOP post-election and become a member of the RGA.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 02:34:41 PM »

And just for clarification, I would vote for Strayhorn as an Independent as long as she promised to "re-join" the GOP post-election and become a member of the RGA.

Somehow I expected you, as a Republican, to support a woman who formerly supported Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale, as long as she stayed in the Republican party.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »

Somehow I expected you, as a Republican, to support a woman who formerly supported Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale, as long as she stayed in the Republican party.

So let me get this straight.  You bitch about me supporting a Republican, then you bitch if I don't.  Is there anything you don't bitch about?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »

So let me get this straight.  You bitch about me supporting a Republican, then you bitch if I don't.  Is there anything you don't bitch about?
Relax. He's not bitching about anything you do, he's just bitching about you. Funniest thing is that she's probably the candidate he's closest to himself.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2006, 07:14:06 PM »

Relax. He's not bitching about anything you do, he's just bitching about you. Funniest thing is that she's probably the candidate he's closest to himself.

^^^^^^^^
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2006, 09:38:50 PM »

Four ways are always fun!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »

I was an interesting ad for Strayhorn during the NFL playoffs last night.  It showed a picture of Strayhorn and text with her name, and then "Republican".  Apparently she is going to run as an independent and a Republican.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2006, 12:09:47 PM »

I was an interesting ad for Strayhorn during the NFL playoffs last night.  It showed a picture of Strayhorn and text with her name, and then "Republican".  Apparently she is going to run as an independent and a Republican.

It probably means her personal party identification remains Republican even though she did not win the party's nomination.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2006, 12:41:33 PM »

Considering the fact that there are already two people sharing the Leftist vote, which is small to begin with, that sounds like a wise choice to me.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2006, 03:08:19 PM »

It probably means her personal party identification remains Republican even though she did not win the party's nomination.
She chose not to seek the party's nomination.  To run as an independent she must forgo participation in the Republican nominating process, including voting and participating in the convention process.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2006, 03:10:46 PM »

She chose not to seek the party's nomination.  To run as an independent she must forgo participation in the Republican nominating process, including voting and participating in the convention process.

Well, she probably would have sought it if polls hadn't made the outcome a foregone conclusion.

Btw, is it possible in a race like this to seek a major party nomination, lose, and then go on to run as an independent?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

Btw, is it possible in a race like this to seek a major party nomination, lose, and then go on to run as an independent?
Absolutely not.  Texas does not have party registration, but in each election cycle, a person is restricted to participating in the nominating process of a single party (petition signing; primary and runoff; conventions; candidacy).  The standard for qualifying a new political party is the same as qualifying as an independent candidate for statewide office.  In effect, the independent is running as their own party.

Independent candidates are required to file at the same time as party candidates (the deadline is in early January).  Party candidates are declaring intent to seek the party nomination in primaries (Dems and GOP) or conventions (Libertarians), while independent candidates are declaring an intent to get on the general election ballot through the support of independent voters (by petition).

Not only are candidates restricted, but voters are restricted.  Voters may not (legally) vote in the primary of one party and the runoff of the other.  Further, if they voted in the primary or runoff, they may not sign the petition of an independent candidate.  The petition period is immediately following the primary and runoff; in part to disqualify voters who voted in the primary from signing petitions.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2006, 06:30:31 PM »

I just saw her on chris matthews.....Typical republican except she hates Perry A LOT.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 06:32:15 PM »

Does she have the support of her son, Scott McClellan?
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »

Does she have the support of her son, Scott McClellan?
Yep
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies