HB 20-24: Census Act of 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:21:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 20-24: Census Act of 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 20-24: Census Act of 2019  (Read 1361 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« on: October 29, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »

In section 3.7 about deregistration:

7. No voter may alter their state of registration or deregister during the “protected period”, which shall begin one hundred and sixty-eight hours prior to any regularly scheduled federal election and conclude upon the conclusion of the voting period. All attempts to do so during this period shall be invalid.

I understand the protected period to move state. I understand for deregistration to protect from impulsive deregistration during election but 7 days before the election you can't deregister seems a lot. I don't know if now it is 7 days before but I would prefer no deregistration during the election only, or election weekend and 24 hours after.

It's a bit excessive to even have the "protected periods" to begin with. If someone wants to voluntarily deregister, we shouldn't have any authority to stop them.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

In section 3.7 about deregistration:

7. No voter may alter their state of registration or deregister during the “protected period”, which shall begin one hundred and sixty-eight hours prior to any regularly scheduled federal election and conclude upon the conclusion of the voting period. All attempts to do so during this period shall be invalid.

I understand the protected period to move state. I understand for deregistration to protect from impulsive deregistration during election but 7 days before the election you can't deregister seems a lot. I don't know if now it is 7 days before but I would prefer no deregistration during the election only, or election weekend and 24 hours after.

It's a bit excessive to even have the "protected periods" to begin with. If someone wants to voluntarily deregister, we shouldn't have any authority to stop them.

I generally favor freedom to deregister, my only exception would be during election since I think a few people regretted doing it. A couple days during election is maximum for me, a week before election is too much.

If someone regrets doing it, nothing stops them from re-registering once they're able to do so.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »

The protected period is designed to give election administrators a definitive electorate ahead of the vote as well as throughout the vote. That way people doing things like deregistering during an election after casting a ballot don’t cause chaos.

That's not really chaotic. Were they registered at the time they cast their ballot? If so, count the ballot. It's really not that hard. Plus it really doesn't even happen that often.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 06:33:11 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: