Senate Confirmation Thread: Australian Swing Voter for Deputy Game Moderator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Thread: Australian Swing Voter for Deputy Game Moderator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Thread: Australian Swing Voter for Deputy Game Moderator  (Read 2081 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 01:00:56 AM »

There really isn't a point to asking about GM reform to a Deputy GM nominee. They don't really hold any power to running the GM position, nor do they have a say in it's structure anyway.

It has been a general practice though to derive input on structure from the people who have to "make the crap function" and thus it behooves us to listen to them about suggestions to make the crap less crappy.

My problem with GM reform is that many people bring it up now and again yet nobody ever proposes a specific reform. The idea of reform is attractive however nobody has yet to actually propose a reform and argue why it specifically would make the Game Engine better.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »

I motion for a final vote on confirmation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:37 AM »

There really isn't a point to asking about GM reform to a Deputy GM nominee. They don't really hold any power to running the GM position, nor do they have a say in it's structure anyway.

It has been a general practice though to derive input on structure from the people who have to "make the crap function" and thus it behooves us to listen to them about suggestions to make the crap less crappy.

My problem with GM reform is that many people bring it up now and again yet nobody ever proposes a specific reform. The idea of reform is attractive however nobody has yet to actually propose a reform and argue why it specifically would make the Game Engine better.

I can answer that question.

To put it simply no reform is going to fabricate an active, interested and competent person who can do the job of GM. That is why everyone loves to talk about reform of the GM, but 1) nothing ever happens or 2) the reforms don't cause substantial change.

The reason why the GM reforms when passed don't ensure results, is because again it comes back to having someone able and willing to perform the task. Perhaps reform can induce interests on the margins in some fashion, but it is basically the in game version of pushing on a string.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »

There's another important thing the Game Engine needs to provide, and I shall strive to make sure it provides. Consequences. If you pass anti-Union legislation there runs a high risk of strikes. If you pass anything upsetting China they will retaliate. If you pass legislation hurting an industry they will protest.
The Game Engine must ensure that every action taken can and will have consequences. To provide a realistic level of external opposition, and to somewhat mode the disincentives of major policy changes, particularly around Foreign Policy.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 09:26:09 PM »

cough cough
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »

24 hours to object to the final vote motion.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:02 AM »

Oh, and if you're interested in how I'll be as Deputy, just look at what's currently going on with Suburban's fourth attempt at passing his gun bill.
The Game Engine providing impartial meta analysis of legislation while they're on the floor to help assist in debate. Giving an indication of possible and probable story impacts if a bill is passed which are based solely in concrete evidence.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 02:04:29 AM »

Something else to mention which just came up re the situation in Bolivia. I really don't think the GM office should be the ones to truly decide the path of major events. As Deputy in cases of major stories most of the time I'll roll a dice to add in a more realistic random factor to the news, rather than it just always being what me and Mr R think will or should happen. I'll usually roll a dice to figure out whether a major current event is even occurring in game, and then roll again to decide whether something is successful, the extent of the event, or other adjustable factors.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2019, 04:00:38 AM »

A final vote has started on this nomination and will last for 72 hours.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »

AYE
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 03:07:30 PM »

Nay
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »

Any particular reason or concern?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 11:05:18 PM »

My colleague Senator Peanut has just introduced some substantial GM reform, and I'd like to debate on that before we appoint you to the GM Department. Otherwise, you'd be an appointment for only a week or so.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 11:36:10 PM »

Well isn't this pointless then.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 12:21:50 AM »

My colleague Senator Peanut has just introduced some substantial GM reform, and I'd like to debate on that before we appoint you to the GM Department. Otherwise, you'd be an appointment for only a week or so.

Last I checked, bills like that take longer than a week to go through Congress and take effect. So the "logic" that he'd only be around for a week (if that bill passes) is incorrect.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 03:35:22 AM »

Nay (same reason Devout Centrist has, I've also talked to ASV about it)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2019, 03:38:08 AM »

Last I checked, bills like that take longer than a week to go through Congress and take effect. So the "logic" that he'd only be around for a week (if that bill passes) is incorrect.

Lol fhtagn defends ASV, though tbh this is very predictable. fhtagn can't pass up any opportunity to attack Labor, logic and consistency be damned
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2019, 04:38:24 AM »

Lol fhtagn defends ASV, though tbh this is very predictable. fhtagn can't pass up any opportunity to attack Labor, logic and consistency be damned

I'm almost offended by fhtagn defending me.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2019, 06:36:57 AM »

Abstain
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2019, 08:43:30 AM »

Abstain.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »

It's a good thing that this confirmation has finally pushed those in favour of reform to action and introducing a very solid proposal, and also finally pushing people to say enough is enough with regards to the inactive Game Engine.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 12:22:06 AM »

Look I get it, but this is falling into a standard trap that often befalls most reform efforts. They inadvertently sabotage the present status quo on the grounds of a reform to come that has not yet occurred and in the mean time, the game is going to suffer, undermining the reform effort itself. I have seen this movie play out so many times, we would be making a huge mistake to do it again.   

The responsible way to handle this is to confirm ASV, and let some things get moving in terms of Game Moderator activity (including I would point out allowing clarity on whether to proceed with the Resolution on Bolivia), meanwhile we have time to properly debate, implement reform as well as seek out/find and appoint people to the nearly created positions.

That could take a month, especially with the holidays, maybe more.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2019, 07:13:32 PM »

The nomination is rejected, 1-2-2-1.
Aye; 1 (North Carolina Yankee)
Nay; 2 (Devout Centrist, MB)
Abstaining; 2 (ON Progressive, Peanut)
Not voting; 1 (PyroTheFox)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »

Not a Senator, but I just don't really trust ASV for this position given his ability to go overboard with stuff, especially without an active GM. He's a good Fremont MP but not everyone is suited for every position in this game.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »

Not a Senator, but I just don't really trust ASV for this position given his ability to go overboard with stuff, especially without an active GM. He's a good Fremont MP but not everyone is suited for every position in this game.

It would have been approved by the current GM before posting.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies