Justice PiT should resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:24:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Justice PiT should resign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Justice PiT should resign  (Read 5708 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2019, 11:00:01 PM »

The best part is it was free(ish). I hate these pretentious lawyer conferences but the big firms always sponsor an open bar. I always throw the bartender a buck because $1 per drink is still a steal. I got drunk the last 2 nights for like 5 bucks.

Edit: also may be getting a free intern out of it!
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2019, 11:17:27 PM »

No you don’t. There are many things you need, but that is the least of them.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2019, 12:17:22 AM »

No you don’t. There are many things you need, but that is the least of them.
why is that?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2019, 12:24:07 AM »

Time for DFW to have is own personal Prohibition. Tongue
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2019, 12:26:43 AM »

Come and take it!
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2019, 12:31:09 AM »

I think the real question is:

"Should people eat some proverbial concrete and harden up?"
The answer is yes.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2019, 02:27:48 AM »

PITs comments were stupid, they’d be a major issue in a confirmation issue- but he’s a fine Justice who wouldn’t let it affect his ability to rule on cases. Let’s take the apology and move on. 

I find it incredibly curious that the left wants PiT to resign that they have the ability to appoint one of their own as SC justice and thus have the ability to stack the deck in favour of their ideology and party. This is nothing but a partisan coup designed to give leftists more power.

As for the comments themselves it seems clear that the left is not interested in diversity of opinion. While surface level diversity is welcome diversity of thought and speech is stifled. Once again we see an attempt to bully and marginalize pro lifers. Many in this game on the left just want more power and more control to the point where you “own the cons”.  I ask Atlasians to see what this is and stand up for Justice PiT who deserves to remain on the SC bench.

This is a slur on the integrity of the court; I’ve sat across the table from Windjammer (the ex chair of my own party) and disagreed and ruled in different ways on an issue relating to Labor. The idea that the left is further stacking the court implies it was stacked for party political grounds; which it never was.

The left, which is now in control of everything in Atlasia, has waged war on one of the last remaining conservatives left in the game, and pointing this out is "a slur on the integrity of the court"? Talk about Orwellian doublespeak. Because that's exactly what your Labour friends are doing - ginning up a crisis in order to make the court, like every other Atlasian institution from the regions to the House to the Senate to the Presidency all leftist all the time.

Ciync you’re one of the smart sensible people on the right-  please read my post again- I’ve made no comment about PITs comments in it but rather was annoyed at the attack on the court- an institution I served on.

All the other institutions in the game are ‘leftist’ because the broad left won elections. The court cannot become ‘leftist’ because that implies that serving justices are bias.

The court has always been a non-partisan, and non-party political institution- AZs post implied that the court was already packed in a way that was designed to help Labor.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2019, 02:56:36 AM »

Amazing to see Mr R give this thread more attention in the past few hours than his GM duties in the past 4 months!

At any rate, those saying this is some ideologically-motivated lynch mob are just plain wrong. It's not in my hands, but if this were one of the seats where I could appoint and a vacancy could occur, I'd commit to appointing an even more ideologically-conservative Justice than the one holding the seat (given recent behavior, however, the challenge would be in finding one who hasn't uttered a litany of toxic and wretched commentary related to their opinions of other members of the human race).

And for those accusing us of trying to make this some kind of political institution in favor of the Left, I hate to break it to you but: 1) it's not (nor ever has been) and 2) by the metrics they're using to say this is so, it already would be one. For basically the past two years, the Court has had a majority-Labor presence (hell, until Blair's resignation, it was a majority-former Labor Chair presence) and a leftist supermajority. Even if the last remaining conservative was purged, it would make practically no difference in any cases where ideology/worldview is the grounding rod of verdicts (which are very few in number; can't remember the last time a case rooted in solely ideological differences made it to SCOA).

With that being said, I don't see impeachment being a likely outcome here - and personally, I'd rather save my overreaching political capital points for when the Right starts actually trying to destroy the game or something similar.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2019, 02:27:43 PM »

While I find PiT's comments abhorrent, if he's willing to take them back, I don't think he should resign. Everyone does something we wish we could take back if we could, and it should apply here.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »

I am satisfied with PiT's apology and retract my call for him to resign
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »

Lot of reports out of this thread. Chillax a bit, people.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »

Looks like the Right has gotten TRIGGERED

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2019, 12:33:55 PM by Devout Centrist »

The context does not excuse these remarks.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »

Oh it's clear PiT does actually believe this. But kudos to him for diffusing it so skilfully he ends up getting retractions rather than being out on his ass.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »

I join with Chief Justice Windjammer and my immediate predecessor Justice Blair and echo their shared confidence in the impartiality of Justice PiT on the bench.

While I must admit I find his quoted statements to be offensive, hypocritical, and alarmingly reactionary, this is far from the first time he and I have sharply disagreed on contemporary cultural issues. In spite of our stark differences however he has always demonstrated himself to be a reasonable judge who approaches the law from a fair and neutral perspective. At any rate, Atlasian jurisprudence is largely a textualist affair and the courts are rarely if ever required to make any sort of values judgement so concern about this type of bias is largely irrelevant regardless.

However, PiT: as a leftist who has been a happy participant in several open and/or plural relationships over the years, and who finds your perspective to be completely without merit, I would relish the opportunity to debate you publicly in some alternative venue! Cheesy

One final note: I am genuinely concerned by the demeanor and attitude of certain conservatives within this thread. While I do not agree with them, the concerns expressed by the people who signed this thread's petition are clearly authentic. To immediately conclude, without evidence, that this thread was posted with ulterior motives, as part of some nebulous larger scheme perpetrated by your political opponents (also proposed without evidence) can really only be one of two things. Either it's some bizarre and disingenuous attempt at pointless trolling or it indicates an overwhelming and unhealthy persecution complex. If anyone was genuinely so overwhelmed with paranoia that they immediately assumed that a handful of concerned citizens were the vanguard of some massive heretofore unknown conspiracy designed to destroy their party, I honestly and earnestly encourage them to immediately spend some time away from Atlasia for the sake of their own mental health. This is just a game. Don't let it consume you.

Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies